Bigsby Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wally Olfert

Bigsby Steels

Post by Wally Olfert »

I have one of the 47 original triple neck Steel gutiars custom made by Paul Bigsby. I ordered it in 8/8/1951 and have visited with Paul in his work shop in those years. It was interesting to see how much love and care went into each instrument.
I still have the original bill of sale. A personal letter from Paul requesting a large pictore of me at the steel to post in the Western Music Magazine. I would like to hear from any other owners of Bigsby guitars. In the 50's I played with the
Christian Cowboys. Have had a Music store, founded a Yamaha Music School and enjoyed my music over the years. Love to hear from anyone interested. Wally Olfert in Kingsburg California.
Larry Petree

email

Post by Larry Petree »

Please email me at, lpetree@bak.rr.com
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Wally, very interesting, does yours have pedals? There were actually far more than just 47 steels made by Bigsby. I can list around 80 by now and yours is not even included :) I have the last one PA built, in January -63 for Eddie Gabbard, an incredibly beautiful instrument. There are many guys here on the forum who own one and have a vast knowledge of Bigsby instruments, hopefully some of them will join here.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I have a few Bigsbys, and use them continually. I just played my triple ten string built in 1960 at the Birmingham Steel show, both days, I'll be playing it in Dallas at the show in March and at Scotty's show Friday and Saturday memorial day weekend.

It is a triple, 8 pedals, 100% stock as new (except for the standard set-up).
Works flawlessly, even David Jackson was astounded with the tone on the E9th neck.

Bigsbys???????? Yep, astounding guitars, even today, 67 years after he started building them.
Jussi, you are a great help to all of us lovers of this guitar, I consider your intrest and cronicalizing of this great marque invaluable. Please keep it up! I'll send you my latest ser. numbers if you need them.
I'd be in favor of building a regester of owners, I think all of us owners would like to be in touch with all other owners.
What would this cost Jussi, and would YOU be interested in doing this worthwhile project? I'd do anything I could to help.
Bobbe Seymour,
Last edited by Bobbe Seymour on 24 Jan 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Bobbe, I appreciate your words and I agree that it's time to have Bigsby's work documented in a larger scale. I doubt though that I'd be the best man for that job. We ( me and few other Bigsby fans ) do have and update a "register" of PA's instruments and it would be possible to create an incredible website with pictures and information. However I know nothing about creating and maintaining a website, I will be the first one to help with it though if someone ever cares to take up the task. A continously updated website is probably more of a reality than a written book, it seems.
Deborah Mundell

Bigsby Steels

Post by Deborah Mundell »

I see where the number 47 came from - just went to www.bigsbyguitars.com and looked under history, and there it was - 47. I wonder if this site might be interested in hosting a page for bigsby owners? And a real list (I think Jussi has a pretty good one). Somebody would have to contact them, but since I only have one Bigsby, and I don't even play, I think that would leave me out of the running. I would love to see a website with that information, though. It would be terrific!!!
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Deb, playing it has nothing to do with it, having one does. You are in the club, big time.

Bobbe Seymour
Steel guitar Nashville
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

nnbbb
Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

vvcc
Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jussi Huhtakangas

If I understand correct, that bigsbyguitars website is owned and hosted by Gretsch, I doubt they would have any interest in maintaining a "fansite". And I would like to see a website far more extended and dedicated than that. After all, that site is purely to sell and promote Bigsby vibratos made by Gretsch.
Hey Mike, did you get the Wright pics I emailed you just a few days ago???
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Mike Black, No, I would not add knees to this guitar, I don't need to for my playing, and I don't wish to upset the originality. I have however put a "standard" setup on the center and inside necks to make it playable.

Bobbe
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

,,mm
Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Montee

Official BIGSBY Web Site..........GREAT IDEA!

Post by Ray Montee »

I support the idea for an official BIGSBY Web site. I'm sure it would generate a lot of player-visitors and others just interested in the name and great reputation.

I'd do it, but keeping JERRY BYRD's music on the web truly keeps me busy, what with my 12 hour work days and you know, I'm NOT getting any younger.

How 'bout it Jessi or Deborah? A burning desire is all that's really needed. Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, can be achieved. Right?