Where will the steel guitar be in 20 years time?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

Where will the steel guitar be in 20 years time?

Post by Ken Byng »

Will there still be manufacturers making pedal steels or will they all be closed down?

Will the pedal steel be considered to be a bona fide rock instrument or blues machine á la Robert Randolph?

Will the listening public be appreciating that the instrument is capable of so much more than country or swing music?

Will younger people still be attracted to learn to play steel?

I wish I had a crystal ball as I probably won't be around in 20 years time, but I would like to think that this relatively new instrument of ours will stand the test of time and be even more popular than it is now. I'm not fully convinced though.
Daniel J. Cormier

Steel Players

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

I don't know,but I hope that still here to find out :wink:
God Bless
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Well hopefully mine will still be sitting in front of me !!!
b0b

Post by b0b »

I think they were asking the same questions 20 years ago, except they said Jerry Garcia instead of Robert Randolph.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

If everyone who is a member or even a lurker on this forum, were to turn around and help one newbie get started, and THEY then turned around and help someone get started, steel manufactures would not be able to keep up with demand. So help someone get introduced to the pedal steel guitar. :wink:
Last edited by James Morehead on 17 Jan 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Pretty well where it is now.
Paul King

steel

Post by Paul King »

Now that James is a motivator. I do try and get new people started on steel but the excitement fizzles out pretty quick. I will be 67 years of age and hope to be around and still playing mine.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I like James' idea, we should get passionate about exposing younger people to this instrument.
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

I could be wrong, but it seems like some steel guitar makers can't keep up with demand now. I've seen forum members telling of a one year, to two year wait.
Billy Carr
Restricted

20 years

Post by Billy Carr »

Steel guitar will be alive and well, as it today. They'll probably be some new names and brands on the market. Years ago you had Sho-Bud, Emmons, Fender, MSA and a few others. Now look at what's available. There's 5 or 6 builders, or more, just in Texas alone. PSG is addictive, so in my opinion, I believe there'll always be players that are willing to take it to the next level and never give it up. For me personally, when I'm buried 6 foot somewhere, then I'll give it up but until then, I'll do everything in my power to promote PSG and help all steel players. 20 years from now, I'll be 69! So that'll leave another 30 years. At 49, if I make it to 100, that's about 50 years of more PSG! Ha!
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I know where my little Carter D10 will be.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I can think of mechanical improvments in the next 20 years but I really don't think you will be shocked, I find it hard to imagine anything more advanced or smoother than a modern steel.
Dustin Elmer

Post by Dustin Elmer »

I'm a young guy, 23 this coming Sunday. I'm new to pedal steel, but I honestly feel that as long as there's recordings of the pedal steel available, there'll be people who fall in love with it like we all did.
Dusty Elmer
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I know where my little Carter D10 will be.
OK AJ - Don't keep us in suspense!!

:D
Ernie Pollock

Gee Whiz!!

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I would like to think that the Steel Guitar will still be here, I probalby won't be. I don't think the steel will ever be like guitar or piano, every kid on the block is just not going to have one, but theres that one kid, you probalby remember him, he'll be the one to keep er going strong. Mfgs may change, come & go, but that sweet heavenly sound will still be being played on the pedal steel.

Ernie Pollock :lol:
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm :lol:
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Ernie I think you have a point, but I don't think the steel will be totally gone there may not be as many builders but the dedicated players will still follow, what I want to know is how much will a steel cost???
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Ken my little catrer D10 won't be in the for sale section....
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

deleted
Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 21 Jun 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Wow!
Who knows?
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Whats your guess then Theresa?
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

Think Austin Sterwart & Johnathn Chandler and you will see that the steel guitar world in 20 years will be in fine hands..
Love ya boys... Its all up to you now... Don't let me down!
Mikey :wink:
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

These steels are so well made today that for sure they will be around 20 years from now. However will there be enough work for the owners of the instruments? The steels will certainly outlast most of the players. :cry: :(
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

I think the steel guitar is doing just fine and will be doing fine 20 years from now and here's why. I've been playing steel for 50+ years. When I started there were about 3 good brands of steel guitars you could buy. Now look, B0b probably has close to 40 builders listed here on the forum.........Steel guitar instrumental XP's or LP's were few and far between. Once in a while you could come up with a 78 or 45 rpm steel instrumental. How many does B0b have listed here for sale now?
Many..........Instructional material was virtually non-existant. Now almost every one has a course or course's for sale. Some are not that good but when I started I would gladly have taken them.........Tabs, don't think the word was even invented yet. Now there's more tab floating around than you know what to do with..........Meeting one of the top players was maybe once a year at some county fair. Now we have all kinds of steel guitar shows, conventions, seminars, jam sessions, etc, etc. Yep, I think the steel guitar is doing just fine. Would I like to see it better yet? You bet I would and it may just do that.
Micky Byrne

Re: Where will the steel guitar be in 20 years time?

Post by Micky Byrne »

Geez Ken, don't be so negative LoL, you're younger than me,I was the big "60" last month, I'm still here despite....well you know!!!!! you'll out live me for sure LoL :)

Re your question, I think the steel will always be around and there already seems far more manufactures now than when we both started,and I think that will continue, and most of us at sometime want another new "toy" It's just a shame that the Country scene these days doesn't seem to feature steel as much as years gone by. Take the Country awards for example, every time a band comes on stage, my eyes are searching for the steel man, but there doesn't seem to be that many appearing,but I'm glad that steel has moved on to other kinds of music than years ago. I think there will always be younger players interested in this fab instrument we play. Just hearing it a few times sucked us all into learn "that thing" and I think that will always be the case :)

Micky Byrne www.mickybyrne.com
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I had the opportunity to play steel recently with a band of 24 year old musicians (they are less than half my age and BTW a great band). I played on their record so they asked me to play at there CD release show. It was amazing to experience the energy and vitality of a young band that is determined to "make it" . The guitar player asked me if I would consider giving him pedal steel lessons and how much I would charge. I told him that I would do everything that I could to get him off on the right foot and I wouldn't charge him a penny...under one condition...that he do the same should he ever be asked. I agree with James that we all should do everything we can to help younger players get started. If you think about it, there are so many more resources to learn to play now that there were even 20 years ago. BIAB, instructional DVD's, tons more tab, etc.
TC