10 String pre-war Rickenbacher!!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

10 String pre-war Rickenbacher!!

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Here’s something you don’t see every day! It's on eBay; It’s not mine, I thought forum members would be interested in seeing it. If you’re thinking about placing a bid… note that the seller is new to eBay and has no record of feedback, no prior transactions, so sending him money might be risky. That’s enough to stop me in my tracks, but maybe some daring forum member with spare Rick parts might want to take a chance. The guitar is missing the tone control knob, and a couple of tuner buttons. Also, the electronics are untested, pickup might need a rewind.

<b>Click This

<center> Image </center>

<center> Image </center>

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site | My SteelTab</font><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 02 April 2006 at 10:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

Last year around this time, George Gruhn in Nashville sold a EXC Ric 10 string for $2100.The was one at the Chicago Vintage Showat $2450. This one might be worth rehab.

GM
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, I think it would be worth the rehab at the current price. I'm a little concerned about the seller though.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

The control knob plate looks flat--not conex like the other plates. I can't be certain, but it doesn't look right.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I would take the claim that he has no means to determine if the pickup works or not as a crock. At this level, with the kind of money and type of rarity involved, you don't just say "I don't know" and leave it at that. I will assume this is his way of saying "the pickup doesn't work and you are buying it 'as is". I don't trust this way of doing business and I therefore I don't trust the seller.
That being said, if I were willing to take the chance (I'm not) I would contact Rick Aiello and ask him if he were willing to work on the pickup. If so, then I would see if I could get the Ric at a decent price.
But I'm not going to be sending this kind of money to someone who is providing absolutely nothing at all to answer the question "why should I trust you?".
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Actually, looking at the other pics, the plate opposite the control plate also appears non-contoured.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Re the flat plates: It could be that because of the extra P/U width they couldn't use standard plates and probably didn't want to invest in a seperate die to make convex ones.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.

Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I have a ten string Ricky with white plates that's in perfect shape. It's just a little different than the one pictures so guess it must be post war. Bakelite body with cast iron neck and white plates. No missing parts, tuners or anything else. Rickenbacker logo is elongated and goes down between the tuners. I wouldn't sell it for sentimental reasons but I don't play it too much. My super slide just blows it away on tone. Image Guess once you've heard and gotten used to a certain tone it's hard to go back to a more vintage sounding horn.

Rick
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

This is the one I used to own.
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 03 April 2006 at 01:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Richard Halverson

Post by Richard Halverson »

RE;Flat side panels. I have seen both flat
and convex on the chrome B 10's. It might have something to do with the year they were made but that is just a guess.
Rich.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mine has the chrome plates, and they are flat by the pick up.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The seller just registered with eBay last Thursday. He might actually be an experienced eBay guy who had poor feedback and just re-registered under a new name. He doesn't come across as a first time seller in his description.

Also... have those plates been rechromed? They're pretty shiny.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

`<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Russ Tkac on 05 April 2006 at 05:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

`<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Russ Tkac on 05 April 2006 at 05:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I just received a nice email from the owner of this guitar--his friend is the actual ebay seller. I will say now that based on the note, going from pure gut feeling, this is straight-up and legit. As I told him in response, I really feel that it is his job to do whatever he can to find out about the pickup---hey, walk into any guitar store and whip this thing out and ask to plug it into an amp----the guys at the store will go nuts over this Ric! They'll say 'sure'!.
But anyway, I want to undo any bad vibes my first post may have spread. If I were in the market for something like this I believe now that I would go for it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, a friendly response from the seller makes a difference. I too would pay the current price if I were looking to buy this… even though it needs a $150 rewind. I wouldn’t go much higher though. The guitar needs some other work...and parts. It's a handyman's special for sure.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 04 April 2006 at 10:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

Doug

As rare as a Ric 10 string is, there has to be limits especially when this particular instrument needs more than just a tune up. The correct knob could set you back $50 to $75.$200 to fix the pickup, $30 to $50 for replacement tuners. Good luck finding a case.

GM