New to the Lap Steel World...A Few Questions

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dan Miller

New to the Lap Steel World...A Few Questions

Post by Dan Miller »

Hello All,

I've been visiting this forum for the past few days and am really excited to have joined! I've always loved listening to lap steel on records or seeing it played on stage and I figured now's as good a time as any to learn.

That said, I'd like to purchase a lap steel and could use some advice from you folks. It seems as though the Artisan is a nice start for beginners but I'd also like to look into a vintage instrument, something that sounds great and would make for a good investment.

I have a friend with a Rickenbacker (he swears by it) and I've found two models (NS and model 59) in good condition that seem 'pretty cool'. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two models and which one might be the 'better' purchase? How would a Gibson EH 150 compare?

Normally I'd stick with "go with what sounds best to you" but since the guitars are 1,000 miles away and I wouldn't know how to play them if they were in front of me anyway, I figured this would be the place to turn for help.

For beginners, is there a steel bar that might be best to use? Would it be best to start with something wide or narrow?

Thanks again for everything, I really look forward to reading your responses. Take care!

------------------
Dan
http://www.danielmilleronline.com
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Hi and welcome to the greatest forum on the net!
You are asking all the right questions, so that's a great start.
I think it's in your best interest to determine what style of music you intend to play. Are you a blues, country, Hawaiian, jazz fan?
Then I would take some time and use the forum's search function, typing in the key words that pertain to those points you want to know about.
Most everything you need to know has been discussed here over the years.
Most importantly, just have a good time and remember everyone here will have their own opinion, and I'm the only one who is right! Image
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Welcome. I was in a similar position to you just a year and a half ago. I also explored the vintage route. I eventually sold the vintage instruments and went with new manufactures mainly becuase I found too many issues surrounding maintanence of the vintage instruments. The exception is a 1959 Supro that I just picked up for $300 in a local guitar shop which sounds great. But for the most part, I've sound the modern lap steel luthier to have the best of all worlds: great tone and no maintanence issues.

I currently own 2 Superslides and am thinking of buying a third. Besides the Supro I have a Industrial Steel and I also have one of Loni's LapDancers on order.
Dan Miller

Post by Dan Miller »

Thanks for the replies thus far! I think I'd mostly be in to country (the kind of steel you hear on slow country records) or Hawaiian. I love the blues too, but the blues steel I've heard is often REAL twangy and thin. I think I just want a more "thick and mellow" tone from my lap steel.

Would a wood body better create that sound or can I still get "mellow" with one of those two rickenbacker models?

I go back and forth on the vintage debate. I think since I've (barely) begun collecting vintage I'd like to do so in this instance as well. Obviously I'd consider new if there's something just dynamite on the market. From what I've read thus far, the new Fender and Gretch models don't seem to cut it.

Is there someone here who makes a great lap steel under $800? Thanks again!

Dan

------------------
Dan
http://www.danielmilleronline.com
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Welcome to the forum Dan!
<SMALL>For beginners, is there a steel bar that might be best to use?</SMALL>
The best steel bars are made by Jim Burden - http://bulletbars.com
For lap steel 2 3/4" by 3/4" is about right.

Rick Alexander
Big Steel
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"Is there someone here who makes a great lap steel under $800?"

I'm sure others will weigh in here but if you can go a little higher, the Superslide is the best on the market in my opinion. It does come in at $1295 though.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Check out Lap King and Lapdancer (scroll down),- both are just under $800 and both builders are members of this forum (Jason DuMont and Loni Specter).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Loni is building me a 12 string lap as we speak. Once its in my grubby little hands I'll be able to report back on it. Loni is great to deal with .
Richard Halverson

Post by Richard Halverson »

Hi Dan and welcome.
I think it depends on not only what type of
music you want to play but where you play as well. If you by a vintage steel like a ricky bakelite you risk damage to it if your on the road.
Vintage steels that I would consider the
best for tone and investment Rickenbacher
Frypan,pre war bakelite,early Fender stringmaster and customs to start with.
For a modern steel in the price range your talking I see Tommy Dodd has a Sierra lap top in the for sale section that would make a excellent choise.
Myself I would stay away from the student lap steels because If you get hooked on steel you will get a pro model anyway, and if you don't you will get your money back out when you sell it.
Have fun with the journey.
Richard
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

quote; "I think I just want a more "thick and mellow" tone from my lap steel."

If that's the tone you're looking for, why not try a vintage Fender with the trapazoid shaped pickups. They sound wonderfully warm. Those are Jody's favorite. The old pre-war Rickenbackers also have a thick tone and same with Gibson EH-150. But those two are rather expensive. I haven't played a Superslide, but they sound good on the DVD. Stay away from stringmasters. Those are more twangy and trebly.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

There are other factors to consider: brand of amp, settings, solid state or tubes, adjustment of guitar and amp tone controls and the individual player's technique. As I mentioned in email, you won't likely be unhappy with a 150.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I own a bakelite/cast iron neck Rickenbacker and I also have a Fender Stringmaster non pedal that I love. having said that, the MSA Super Slide (12 string) that I play everyday is by far and away the best non pedal steel I own. I'm having Reece and Kyle work me up a price on another one at this time. I plugges the Ricky in today and played it for a little while. Then grabbed the super slide and played it. NO COMPARISON. The SS won on tone hands down.

Rick
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Welcome Dan!

I'm also a lap steel beginner (and I also live in Brighton, but in England Image) and I'm very happy with the vintage National New Yorker that is my first and so far only electric lap steel (it's from 1947, a bit beat up but it plays great and I love the tone). I paid $375 for it on eBay.

The bar I use for electric is a SP-2, which I really like.

Then there's the world of acoustic steel, which I find more and more fascinating...

Loni's advice to search the forum is good advice indeed. When I joined, I asked lots of questions about bars and fingerpicks and tunings, and I got so much help from the great people on this forum.

Enjoy, whatever you decide to buy!

Fred<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 04 April 2006 at 03:16 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Best bars ... all bullet style ...

John Pierce Thermocryonic
Dunlop Jerry Byrd bar
Jim Burdon custom bar
Black Phoenix coated bar
Don Walworth

Post by Don Walworth »

For a great new lap steel, let me recommend one from West Coast Steel. I have Bob's Double neck 8 string console -- check out his single neck 8 string lap as it is in your price range:
http://www.pedalsteel.com/westcoaststeel/products.html

------------------
--------------------
Don

West Coast Double 8 Nashville 112

Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Welcome Dan If you have questions, you are in the right place Everyone on this forum is RIGHT!!!
Not to stray from the post, but why do we steel players think we need dozens of guitars? I'm not as guilty as some, I have only nine , and one in the works!!!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Well, you can only have one wife (unless you live in Utah) so you may as well have multiple steels.... Image

If you have more than one steel, you can experiment with more than one tuning without changing strings, unless you have a double or triple neck.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 04 April 2006 at 08:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dennis Olearchik

Post by Dennis Olearchik »

check out the beautiful GeorgeBoards lap steels on eBay. they're accepting offers starting at $649.99 w/a BIN for $799.99!