Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Its hard to mention just one but
how about the one and only Lloyd Green?

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I can pick these fellas out almost everytime. John Hughey, Dicky Overby, Moon, Franklin, and Mike Johnson.
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Tracy Sheehan

Styls.

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

The only two who had the unmastakble style to my ears were Don Helms for his non pedal work and Curly Chalker for his un mistakble style and punch of the volume pedal which is called gutting i think..
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I have a very identifiable sound,never was good enough to copy all the big guys licks,and noone in their right mind would wan't to COPY mine.So for better or WORSE guess I have my own style.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

PS,putting my little silly comment aside,I would go for KING CURLY.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

a bump for this most worthy of threads
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

For me,

Non pedal:
Jody Carver, Jazz, Speed, Tone, Soul, Showman!!

Jerry Byrd, Incomparable Tone, Intonation, Smooth, Phrasing!!

Pedal:
Jimmy Day, Tone, Tone & more Tone!!

Jeff Newman, Great Phrasing, Style and Intelect!!

Bobbe Seymour, Tone, Smoothness, Cascading Chords and Melody Lines, Super!! TX

Rgds,

Ron
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
BJ Jenkins

Post by BJ Jenkins »

I want to add that if one wants to get a GREAT example of JD Manness style etc. just listen to the steel work on Ray Stevens "Misty".
His power and phrasing on that record is awsome !! On top of that,JD is one of us!
tnx
bj
BJ Jenkins
Pete Young

Post by Pete Young »

You also have Jimmy Day with his tone and the way he used the vol. pedal And Larry Sasser with that crying steel away up the neck I think its easy with a lot of them. From the time we were kids that was our thing. Whos playing steel on each record that came out.
Herbie Meeks

Post by Herbie Meeks »

I keep harping on the Lap Steel, We know the PSG evolved from the Lap Steel, Checking The Hall Of Famers. the Steelers listed there, Some I know /knew, personally. anyhow each one I knew, or shared the stage with, ( way back) started pickin gigs with the Lap Steel, I believe this is where each one developed their unique way of picking. learning to use the Bar, a must, for Lap Steel. also the single notes, Then when the PSG became available, this unique style stood out on their PSG.
Also, I could recognize, what part of the USA a Steel Player had learned to play the Steel.
California, and Texas Steel Players, being the easiest to recognise.
For the new student, I think you are missing out on a lot, by starting to learn on the modern PSG Steel. and skipping The Lap Steel
Just my opinion. I grew up when the PSG was being experimented with. and finally got one of my own.

Herbie
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

HI.FOR ME ITS GOT TO BE BUDDY CAGE.HE IS THE ONLY PLAYER WHO PLAYS NOT WHAT HE KNOWS ,BUT RATHER WHAT HE UNDERSTANDS AND TAKES RISKS IN THE PROCESS.WHO ELSE COULD PLAY THE 1ST 4 BARS OF THE SOLO IN HELLO MARY LOU WITHOUT GIVING ANY DEFFERANCE TO KEY?AND THEN RESOLVING THE RESULTANT MUSICAL MAYHEM ONTO THE V CHORD -OH SO SWEETLY !!THE RESULT IS A STYLE AND SOUND THAT IS INSTANTLY CATCHING ON THE EAR--- BITTER AND SWEET AT THE SAME TIME.I DEFY THE SO CALLED GREATS OF PSG TO DO THE SAME AND GET AWAY WITH IT.TO ADD TO THIS EVEN WINNIE WINSTON IN HIS TUTOR BOOK DESCRIBES ONLY MR .CAGES STYLE...."BUBBLY AND BOUNCY " SO UNCONCIOUS IS THE COMMENT HE PROBABLY DOESNT REALISE HOW DISTINCTIVE IT IS.COMMENTS PLEASE
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Herby Wallace, one of the best modern steel players; recognizable on the slow stuff with his soft, slow rolling vibrato; and he can give Jernigan a run for his money on the fast stuff, too....
Jim Keith

Post by Jim Keith »

KAYTON ROBERTS always. But then, I was a big Hank Snow fan.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Speedy West
Sneaky Pete
Little Roy Wiggins
Jerry Byrd
Curley Chalker
Buddy Emmons
Lloyd Green

...all great stylists with a sound of their own, and instantly identifiable.

And of course there is Robert Randolph, and the ever-present Jerry Garcia! :D :roll:
Greg Derksen

Post by Greg Derksen »

Steve Wariner had a CD maybe 8 years ago with Buddy Emmons,
Sonny Garrish and Paul Franklin, It was neat to hear such clear distinctions and applications of style. From what remember it was
a good example of what each of those guys do so well, on one CD, Buddy played on a song about an old house or something,Just a killer sweet solo on that track, Sorry ,can't remember the CD, Greg
Tom Stolaski

Post by Tom Stolaski »

Thunderstorm Bob
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Dr Hugh Jeffries has a very distinctive sound, as does Elizabeth West.
Dennis Lee

Post by Dennis Lee »

I felt the need to weigh in on this topic, but all the great names deserve the recognition. It's always personal once you've met a hallmark player. As for me, I had the great pleasure of meeting JayDee Maness in Spokane, Washington, spring of 2006. I had appreciated his work even before knowing it was him I was listening to. He is one fine individual, and his playing is so unique and in your face, it's a wonder to behold. These questions are difficult and at times unfair to address, because the styles are many as are the artists. I salute all who take the time in this busy life to tackle this instrument!
missing

Post by missing »

Johnny Siebert on Carl Smith, Kayton Roberts- "no doubters"
d
b0b

Post by b0b »

Al Vescovo.
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Is it OK for me to say Bobbe Seymour? Maybe that's just 'cause I listen to him too much, but I think I can tell him when I hear him. I used to think that about Jerry Byrd back when Jerry was recording with every one before Bud Isaacs turned the steel world around!