Vibrate Away Those Aches and Pains

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Alan Brookes

Vibrate Away Those Aches and Pains

Post by Alan Brookes »

I have an electric vibrator which I use for a stiff neck. (No cat calls, please !)

The other day, while playing my lap steel, I attached a metal bar to the vibrator and tried it as a substitute. Instant vibrato without carpel tunnel syndrome !

Try it. But I think if you turn up at a Western Swing concert and pull out the vibrator you could cause a lot of amusement.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

OK, this is hands down the funniest post I've ever read here. Image
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

i've been thinking about making an electric fiddle bow with an electric carving knife...
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

This is nothing new , Alan; old maid PSG players have known this for years. Image
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

You could use this vibrator on your steel bar, and use an EBow instead of picking with your right hand -> fully eclectrified steel playing! Image

(BTW, Bill Elm from The Friends Of Dean Martinez uses an EBow a lot oh his Stringmaster).

Roman
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

For the ultimate vibrato ... Al Casteel recommends* ...

Used with a "Pinky" Variac, vibrato rates can be adjusted up to 60 Hz...

So you can go from that "plaintive" 4 Hz vibrato ... all the way up to the "Extreme Nanny Goat" .... with just a twist of a knob ...

*<font size=1>As does Dr. Ruth</font>

------------------

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 30 March 2006 at 02:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

That Rolling Vibrato looks as big as a bottle. Is it really that size ?
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

a vibrator. what a thought.

so I guess drugs, sex, and music Do go together.

I dont think size matters, but then I am normal.
I use a standard bullet Dunlop slide.

now lets bring Cheryl Tiggs and this idea together. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Randy Reeves on 31 March 2006 at 10:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Adam Camster

Post by Adam Camster »

Wow Alan!Laughed my head off! I always wanted to try that; But was afraid to ask for one! Still afraid to get my own, being an English man an all!

------------------
www.adamcamster.com
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Okay, I've tried to stay out of this, but can no longer resist. Last weekend the major Philly newspaper had a feature on the history of vibrators. They were developed soon after the discovery of electricity and quickly became a staple in doctors offices. They were used quite seriously to treat "hysteria" and other femal disorders. They were welcomed by doctors, who had been carrying out these "treatments" for centuries, by hand! It wasn't until the '60s that the general public caught on to the sex toy angle; and subsequently discussion of vibrators in mixed company became frowned upon, and the docs stopped using them in ordinary practice. Who knew! Image