Attention Fender Pedal Steel Players!!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Fagerlie

Attention Fender Pedal Steel Players!!!

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

With b0b’s blessing, he has allowed me to start a user group for those of us who play Fender pedal steels with cables.
This group will be open to all owners of Fender pedal steels with cables, the 400, the 1000, the 800 and the 2000.
This will be a place for us to network on parts, copedants, and any other issues we’d like.
I for one am excited that there will be a place just for us cable guys to exchange ideas and friendship.

As in all user groups, you must get permission to join. The only requirement is that you want to be part of the group.

So to join the group, click on the “usergroups” text on the top right of the page and follow the instructions.

Let’s talk Fender!

Jay

And a big thank you to b0b for allowing us this opportunity.

Edited to clarify the requirements to join.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!
NEWS FLASH!!!!!

Finally got it up, come on by, register and get on it!

Fender Pedal Steel

This being my first forum, I am totally open to suggestions and comments.

Remember, you will not see any information until you register.
Jay
Last edited by Jay Fagerlie on 10 Jan 2007 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Thanks Jay and bob!

My two 400s and I thank you. :)

Russ

Image[/img]
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Jay. I would strongly ask you to consider the membership to include anyone who has ever owned a Fender steel. There are many players who have had these in the past who have newer pedal instruments now. Just because they do not own a Fender now, does not mean that they would not be interested in participating in the Fender forum, but they would bring a tremendous amount of knowledge. To exclude former Fender players because they do not own a Fender now would be such a waste of potential. Please think about it.
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Hey Bill,
My thoughts exactly, that's why no proof is required :wink:

Jay
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

yeah guys...what Bill said.. I would LOVE to take part!!!.. I know and love those old Fender cable jobs...
I had one, and sold it, but have loved them for years.. I guess the later model short scale 400 I had was a bit disappointing.. When I bought it,I was SO worried about breaking strings, I didn't think about TONE... The old long scale models with string breaker bridge had THE classic Fender sound.... I may buy another one day... .. bob
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

I'm down to only owning two, up till about two years ago I had six of them. I just felt bad for hording them, so I kind of passed them on to others that would use them.
One was just used exclusively on Dylan's latest project, so I'm kind of proud that I let a few of them go.

Here is the one I still play it has # 00277 on it with the Tweed Case, and polished frame, so my guess is mid to late '58. One of the pots was around June '58.

Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Here is one that I sold last year.
It's a 400 with ten pedals, #00896.
When I got it someone had a ten string humbucker P/U stuck in it. I happen to had a scrap 1000 with one pickup left in it so I put that back in it. Someone had also put a roller bridge and nut on it, but I left that.

It's somewhere in Japan now, spreading the Fender sound around the world!

Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

One of the tunes on my site features this old 400
Eddie Cunningham

Fender Cable Steel Players

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

I got my Fender 1000 back in the early 70s and still playing out on it !! I shortened the outside E 9th neck 1 1/2 in. with a new fret board and moved up the nut closer and hardly ever break any strings !! I've had to resolder one of the cable ends a couple times but she keeps on tickin !! Paid $300.00 back then so I think i've got my money back by now !!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Jay. DZ
Randy Hess

Post by Randy Hess »

My two early inspirations to play steel guitar were Freddy Frey of Berwick, PA and Bill Yorks, also from Berwick. In the 60's, Freddy played a D-8 sunburst Fender with 7 pedals with my dad's band and when he quit he sold it to Bill who also played for dad. I used to help him set it up and it was in 2 cases, one for the body and one for rods and pedals (sometimes my back wishes my guitar had 2 cases). That guitar (and their playing of it) is probably the main reason I play today. Sadly, both have passed away and I did buy Bill's Martin D-28 but I always wondered whatever happened to the Fender. My first steel (which I still have and play occasionally) is a S10 Fender (sold to me by Jack Michaels) but its rods not cables, sorry.
Phil Morgan

Fender Friends !

Post by Phil Morgan »

Hi,
I'm a new "Peddler" and new to the forum and a little nervous in posting this reply (being in the company of some great players and knowledge), but this group idea is excellent just what I've been looking for!
I bought an early Fender 1000 from a great player in Texas and shipped it the UK a couple of years ago. Having played lap/console steel for a few years, I was and am excited at the prospect of playing this Fender. My influences are from the great players of the 40's & 50's such as Vance Terry, Joaquin Murphy, "Speedy", Bud & Buddy etc and my love for that old Western Swing and Honky Tonk sound. The trouble is that I'm struggling for tips, tunings and general expertise over here. I don't think that, if I'm accepted, I can bring a great deal of knowledge to this group but I certainly will bring my extreme desire to play this wonderfull guitar (properley) !
Phil
Fender 1000, Fender Dual Pro, Rickenbacher Triple (2x8, 1x10) Console, Gibson BR9. [/img]
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

We'll have to start compiling a list of parts suppliers. one thing I'm working on is the smal cable pullies - that and the black-pedal rods are the tough ones.

FWIW I really don't think there was a tonal compromise when Fender went to the short-scale guitars. I have both, and my main player is a 'burst 400...even before I dropped aa second pickup in, it had the same Fender vibe in the tone, and sounded a LOT like my '63 Jaguar. I also like the less-stiff pedals (even spring changes on an early one doesn't make it play as light as my '63).
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I agree Jim,

I got together with guys I played with back in the 70s and took my sunburst 400. I played it through my Fender Pro Reverb and it sounded great. My wife taped a bit on her 8mm before the battery died and I dumped the audio to the computer. I was pleased with the sound.

Russ
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I'd like to be involved, even though I don't have a fender pedal steel yet. :D

If anyone out there has an early polished frame Fender 1000 they'd like to sell, let me know!

TL
basilh

Post by basilh »

And what exactly happens there ?
Baz
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Hey Jim...great avatar. I'm sure all on this thread will get it...
William Clark

Post by William Clark »

I bought my Fender 1000 about a month ago on Ebay. I am sure that most members already have this but I thought I would put the link down anyway. This is the link for a copy of an early Fender 1000 manual. It helped me get my 1000 set up.

http://www.edusoft.ca/1000/

I will post pics of my guitar this weekend.
basilh

Post by basilh »

Have we now got a SEPARATE section where we can post tips, requests and what have you's. ?
:?
Because I can see nowhere to post in the Usergroup, just a list of members.

Do we all congregate HERE ? THERE ? or EVERYWHERE (Nice tune BTW)
Jay Fagerlie

Update

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

OK Cableheads (thanks Jim)
Here's the situation: The usergroup in this software package is not the same as the UGs I've used elsewhere. It is indeed just a list, although a special one in my book.
So what I have done is setup a 'mini' forum at a different location. It respondes just like the SGF, but is configured for us.
I am having trouble with the registration autoresponder, so as soon as I get that up and running, I will post the URL for everyone.
I am hoping to have it all ready by the end of the weekend.

Start thinking of topics, it'll be here soon!

Jay
edited to fix my lousy spelling
Last edited by Jay Fagerlie on 6 Jan 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

Jay,
Great idea. I think there was a thread in the last version of the forum that someone was trying to do this, but it got lost in the mix. Having a sub-group to go to will make logging the info easy and fast to access.
I'm amazed out how many people have become enamoured to the sound of these dinosaurs. I brought my 59 400 to a jam in San Jose 2 years ago, and after that, several people went out and bought their own.
Patrick
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I'm really looking forward to this. I get a ton of emails about parts, mods, etc - and the "mini forum" will be a great place to post some "permanent" information/pics/etc. Also a nice central area for parts selling/buying/swapping.

Jay, thanks again for doing this.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Yeah Pat. I thought it was a sign at the jam. I think the Fender 400 I snagged for $100 popped up on Craigslist.com a week later. Soon after that I saw Sneaky Pete play his 400 ten minutes from my house in Santa Rosa. My 400 is still a work in progress but hope to have it back to start assembling next week.

DZ :D
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Looking forward to this topic. My Fender 1000 is dated 1/6/64, 43 years old today, signed by "Toni". I enjoy playing and fooling with it. So "user friendly".
Jay Y.
William Clark

Post by William Clark »

Here are some pictures of my Fender 1000. I purchased it on Ebay about 1 month ago. The original owner had his name painted on the front of the steel and the second owner painted over it. I am in the process of removing the overspray. When I got it I spent about 24 hours cleaning it up. It had a lot of smoke and beer on it! The steel cleaned up real nice and it sounds great! Now I just need to learn how to play it. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/53telecaste ... 2383516248