National Model D squareneck... with a story!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

National Model D squareneck... with a story!

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yesterday I was stunned to receive a National Model D squareneck "dobro" from the estate of a former student of mine who passed away last summer. This kind man left the guitar to me in his will. Inside the case is a handwritten note "Merry Christmas, Doug!" and it was signed by the gentleman. The note was obviously written last year when he was dying of cancer. Evidently the plan was to give me the instrument during the Christmas season. I am humbled by this, and I will keep this instrument for many years, and think of my former student every time I look at it.

Although I am primarily a steel guitar & guitar player/teacher, I do play a little bit of dobro, and I have a 1986 Dobro Model F60-D (OMI). Anyway, I know very little about this National Model D, except that it is a recent instrument, still in production, and it looks to be very well made. Elderly Instruments sells them and one is pictured on their site: <b>click</b>

Does anyone here have a National Model D? What do you know about these instruments? What do you think of them? This one seems to have a lot of volume. It has Walnut back & sides and a Spruce top. Looking forward to hearing any comments.
Doug Smith

Post by Doug Smith »

I played one of these at Elderly and was very impressed with the sound, volume, and looks of this model. If I were in the market for a resonator guitar, I would buy one of them.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

very nice gift. I have a National Modal D sq. neck. mine is in walnut. it is a single cone with a spider bridge. they are tone monsters IMO. a wonderful sounding instrument, very sensitive to pick attack. tune it high bass open G.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Doug, the Model-D is one of the best production model resophonics available. Every one I've heard has sounded really good. I had the pleasure a while back of comparing my Koa/Spruce Benoit with Pete Grant's model-D and it compared very favorably. Pete plays open D tuning and sounds wonderful on the instrument. I recall thinking the Benoit was harmonically richer with better bass response but the Model-D had more cutting power and very nice tone and sustain. I also own a National Reso-Rocket standard guitar and have played many more of their models in the stores. The Reso-Rocket is an amazing instrument that combines the sustain of the Tricone with the punch of a single cone. all in all, McGregor and Don make fabulous instruments - better than the originals and have great customer service to back them up. A bequest like this is a very special thing, Doug. Enjoy the new guitar.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a very fine guitar, Doug. You're lucky to have it. Too bad it had to come to you under such circumstances, but at least he knows his instrument ended up in good hands.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

I own three National Model D guitars: a 6-string standard model, a 6-string open chamber, and an 8-string open chamber (not a production model, yet). I love them all.

The summer before last, I was doing some dobro work here in my home studio for my friend Tommy O'Sullivan. I borrowed a Scheerhorn and a Clinesmith, in order to have a range of tones, and did some A-B-C testing, using one Model D and each of the two borrowed guitars. The Model D won in all tests hands down as far as being the axe for the tracks. Not to say that I wouldn't love to have an 8-string Scheerhorn or Clinesmith or Beard to take out on gigs from time to time. But I liken it to how Clarence White would perform with his prewar D-28 but record with a D-18. The Model D has a very even tone across its entire range.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thank you for the great responses!
Ron

Post by Ron »

I wasn't aware that National made a guitar with a spider. I thought that was a Dobro pat.

But what do I know? I don't know what I am doing here!!

Robro Ron
what am I doing here? Ask Norman Hamlet
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Ron wrote:I wasn't aware that National made a guitar with a spider. I thought that was a Dobro pat.

But what do I know? I don't know what I am doing here!!

Robro Ron
http://www.nationalguitars.com

check out the web site :)
Ron

Post by Ron »

You are so right. Have they been making a spider cone long?

The Dopro brothers got in a fight long ago and they split up and one stayed with the biscuit cone and the other named his guitar Dobro and made the spider cone. It was louder and not so fragile. It has been that way since.
what am I doing here? Ask Norman Hamlet
Bill McCloskey

Just got one

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Interesting to read this. I was just up at Rudy's in Manhattan and was playing guitars and just before I left I asked if they had any squarenecks. They pulled out the Model D. I played it. I bought it.

What more needs to be said.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Bill. what a nice treat for the weekend.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Well, we see if my wife thinks so. ;)

It does have an amazing sound. Completely different than my Beard MA8. Besides I needed a 6 string. I only (only!) have 2 8 strings and I was missing the six.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Bill, your wife should certainly undersand the logic.
best explanation Ive heard.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Well, I told her she could buy a couple of chairs and go on a spa vacation. That did the trick.

Boy, this Model D sounds terrific.