the last laquer Zum?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Jessup

the last laquer Zum?

Post by Jay Jessup »

Finally figured out how to post pictures!!
Just delivered 12/28 if I have done this right you can view other pics here.
http://usera.imagecave.com/64lusso/

This guitar does have hybrid changers although there's nothing different underneath that would tell you, however look at the shot of the changer and notice that all the primary (longer pull) raises have unadjustable brass nuts holding them. FYI you tune those with the pedals down then tune those open strings with the allen screws directly above them, secondary rasises and lowers are just like a normal all pull. Don't ask me how confusing this is yet as it survived the two day trip from MO to VA in tune and I haven't had to touch one tuner yet!!
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Jay,
WOW !!...That's one beautiful Zum !!....Good Luck with it !!...Jim
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

Beautiful Steel Jay. My pal Paddy "Zum" Long will have a breakdown when he sees this pic. Enjoy your new axe. :lol:
Charlie Willcockson

Post by Charlie Willcockson »

Man, that really is a great-looking steel, Jay! Good for you! Thanks for posting pictures.

Charlie
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

That is one good looking Zum

Jerry
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Now you've gone and done it! I love natural "Blondes!" That is a super nice ZUM! Aren't they all? Bruce deserves more credit than he gets I think......Paul Bigsby had a long list and you had to wait for them......Bruce's long wait is a testimony to his craftsmanship!! & quality!! I don't care if black ones do sound better.......
they don't look better than that one!! There's just something about that curly maple that says steel guitar to me!!
Last edited by Doug Seymour on 3 Jan 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

It'd be hard to sound too much better than this one IMHO no matter what color you like.
I actually prefer redheads myself, that is if they are of the two legged variety, however when you get to things with strings that only respond to your touch and don't talk back or make fun of you no matter how flimsy your efforts I have quite a few nice blonds around the house, I will have to get a family portrait done at some point---stay tuned!
By the way the inlay is a little hard to see, I had trouble deciding what I wanted, I like some of the old Sho-Bud style patterns but didn't want anything that wide so wound up picking the old Martin stye herringbone and I like the way it came out.
Jay
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

WOW...that is sweet.. I you two kids don't get along .. let me know
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

I really like the grain of that wood. Very nice, indeed.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Man, that is just beautiful! How'd you talk Bruce into building that one for you? :lol:
Larry Jamieson
Billy Carr
Restricted

lacquer Zum

Post by Billy Carr »

Very, very nice Zum!
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Wow! Even prettier than my black-on-black mica hybrid! Congratulations!
Curtis Mason

Zum

Post by Curtis Mason »

Wow,

What a nice piece of workmanship. Are those Jerry Wallace True Tone pickups I see??

I bet it sounds really nice.
Star Steel Guitar, G.D. Walker's Stereo Steel System, Hilton Volume pedal, TC-M1 Effects Processor, Peterson StroboFlip Tuner
Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

Jay,

After due consideration of our long and deep friendship, I've decided you need to send this guitar to me. In return, I'll send you, uh, a case of Coca-Cola or something.

This guitar didn't come with Klusons? Or did you request it that way?
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Jeff Agnew wrote:In return, I'll send you, uh, a case of Coca-Cola or something.
:lol: (inside joke!) Good one, Jeff!

Beautiful Jay! Congratulations!

TD
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Tommy and Jeff, It took a whole lot of cases of the only really drinkable soft drink---not Coke---to buy this one so I think I'll keep it a while, have a Pepsi or Dr Pepper on me!!
It does have TT's on it and we did talk about Klusons at the outset, Bruce suggested the Waverly open gear tuners as being a little more reliable but in the end I took his advice that modern tuners would hold up better and went with them. As far as how I got Bruce to build it for me I just got lucky, when I talked to him about it orginally I asked about a laquer guitar but he said he had three in the pipeline and with his backlog of orders at the time didn't want to commit to any more because of the time it takes, so I settled on Mica and was going for a look as close to an old Bigsby in a modern guitar as he could come up with. I am not sure whether one of those orders fell through or whether he discovered some nice wood that he wanted to use up because he called at some point and said he would do it in laquer as long as I wasn't in a hurry, I wasn't and the extra $'s weren't a problem so here it is.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Drool! That's a work of art!
Patrick
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

What a Beauty Jay !!!

Moons of happiness to the two of ya's
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I can only find one thing wrong with this Zum,
It is in the wrong home,ha
Seriously it is probably the most beautiful I have seen.
I wish you many happy years together.
Best regards
Billy
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Jay, after careful thought and due consideration, I feel we should Fed-Ex Jeff a banjo w/6 strings (in case one breaks) and a fifth of Motif Champage.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Well I still have that old GTR that I played in the North Star Band we could add an extra string to that--whadda ya think Jeff? Is your wifey bringing some of that Champagne back from France next week Gary and is that really good stuff?
Gary Lee Gimble

Motif......yukky

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Jay, once Jeff enjoys a glass or two of Motif, he’ll be thinking he actually has mo teef in his mouth than Mother Nature intended for him to have. The only items wifey will be bringing home are corks and empty bottles, to tease me
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

Jay, congratulations on your ZUM. It is a beautiful guitar. I just received my new ZUM on December 28th and I understand your excitement with this one. Best wishes.
Dave Van Allen

welcome to the ZumClub

Post by Dave Van Allen »

congrats on that beauty Jay J!!

hope it makes you as happy as mine has made me.
Last edited by Dave Van Allen on 4 Jan 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

So it sounds like Moteef isn't at the higher end of the bubbly.
Hi Dave, this is actually my third Zum, I still have the 81 S-12 I played the last year I was in North Star as well as a 95 D-10 that I bought when I got the itch to start playing again, I guess that one will be up for sale soon.