pedal connections?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Delpaz

pedal connections?

Post by Jerry Delpaz »

I am a beginner,and I am at the stage now where I am learning to pick all the strings without looking,and doing fairly well.I have one problem.I bought a Little Buddy at a real good price a few months ago to learn on.It has three pedals,and originally had 1 knee lever.Someone has added two more so it is now a 3 & 3.My problem the knee levers are not connected.I need to know how,or what strings to attach them two.There are two for the right knee,right and left,and 1 for the left knee inside.I would appreciate any help I could get thanks to all in advance.This is the best sight on the internet.Jerry
Dick Sexton

Knee Levers

Post by Dick Sexton »

Jerry,
Congratulations on getting your first steel. Now, anyone trying to help you will need to know what tuning you are using (assuming 10 string) and where the knee levers are located seen from the players position. If it's E9th & you have two on the left and one on the right, then my choice would be first raise the Es, strings 4 & 8 with left knee moving left, second lower the Es, strings 4 & 8 with left knee moving right. I believe this to be almost a standard. The third knee lever, I would lower the second string D# to a D. I'm sure this D# to D change would be open to openion, but I like it for some single note picking on the higher strings. You are in a state with some real fine steel guitar players and picker. Some maybe close to you, check out the GSGA, Georgia Steel Guitar Association @ www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Jerry Delpaz

Post by Jerry Delpaz »

It is a 10 string,in E9. The original lever is for the left inside leg.The additions are for the right leg inside & outside.
Dick Sexton

Knee Levers...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Jerry,
I'm sorry, turned 63 News Years Eve and can tell after rereading your original post, it's time for me to stop speed reading, maybe doing anything fast. Ha!! Two on the right and one on the left. Hummmm! What do your foot pedals do? Mine are set up ABC, left to right, players point of view, (Emmons). My Left Knee Left raises my Es to use with the A pedal, Right Knee Left lowers the Es to use with the B pedal, (Newmanish). Right Knee Right lowers the second string a half tone, I just like it there. I also like the RKL lowering my Es, seems natural. Hope that gives you some ideas on what you might want to set up. Just remember, no right or wrong, only different and possibly easier to play. A face to face with someone who has set one up before, would be what I suggest. DS
Jerry Delpaz

Post by Jerry Delpaz »

Dick: Thanks so much for your reply.I'm 64 so I know how you feel.I'll set my steel up the way you stated,and I'm sure it will be fine for me being a beginner.I need to start learning my knee levers and pedals together...Again thanks for the help...Jerry
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

If it were me I would do this:
LKR lower strings 4 and 8 to Eb
RKl Raise strings 4 and 8 to F
RKR lower string 2 a whole tone if possible (if not a half tone will do nicely)
Keep in mind I am assuming your pedals are setup "Emmons" style.
Feel free to email if you need more help.
Best,
Justin