Which is the loudest acoustic guitar?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Stroud

Which is the loudest acoustic guitar?

Post by Ron Stroud »

Which is the loudest acoustic guitar, preferably a resonator, that you've ever seen or heard? Are there any noticeable differences in volume between body shapes or sizes? What about body materials? What about cone types - biscuit vs. spider? I'm looking for the loudest instrument available for outdoor jams, standing too close to the banjo player, etc. For this purpose I would sacrifice some tone for volume.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

The Beard E model. Way too loud for me. I played it and had to put it down. I felt that I couldn't really hear the tonal quality because of the volume & sustain.

I prefered the Mike Auldridge Beards over the E. That's the loudest reso I've ever played.

I'm sending Howard Parker my bills from the ear doctor.... Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 March 2006 at 06:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

There are a lot of loud resonator guitars that can hold their own against banjos.

Beard, Scheerhorn, Wolfe ported, I have a loud Clinesmith, Guernsey, and guitars from several other builders.

I don't think you can declare that one builder makes the official "loudest" reso.

The modern designs, which were pioneered mainly by Rudy Q. Jones, furthered by Tim Scheerhorn, and joined by these other builders-are inherently loud when need be.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 14 March 2006 at 09:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

How about the National Tricones? I attended a workshop with Bob Brozman once and my ears were ringing for days.....

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

<SMALL>I'm sending Howard Parker my bills from the ear doctor.</SMALL>
DENIED. Send the claim to your insurance company. Image

Glad you like the guitar though.

HowardP
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

there is no doubt that the Beard MA is one of, if not the loudest, resonator on the market.

I don't know if it is true or not, but legend has it that one of the reasons Jerry Douglas got interested in Beards instead of his Sheerhorns was that he was a jam and the guy with the Beard out volumed him.
Lee Gillespie

Post by Lee Gillespie »

Has anyone had an experience with a Jasper Reso.?????
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Biscuit bridges are louder than spider-bridge resos, especially on the high strings. But the spider bridges have better sustain and tone. Also, metal bodies are louder.

------------------
<font size="1">Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

I second what David says. The single cone guitars are very loud as well as a few of the wood bodied biscuit bridge guitars. But the sound decays quick....the volume of a modern spider bridge resonator guitar will surely out sustain a biscuit bridge guitar.
The tricones have the best of both worlds as far as volume and sustain goes.... not as loud as a single cone guitar. The tone is not as versitile as a Spider bridge guitar IMO.

Most of these guitars have enough volume I think tone and what kind of musical setting i am playing in is the deciding factor. i have owned a Metal bodied single cone , and a tricone and I love those guitars , but bluegrass never worked on those two guitars...... for me atleast. Great for Hawaiian, swing and blues.

To answer the question....I belive the Biscuit Bridge guitars are the loudest. I honestly have never done a A B comparison..but if my memory serves me right......

Bill, I would think J. Douglas is far more concerned with tone than volume.

Disclaimer ***all of the above is just my opinion***
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Bob Brozman has described the biscuit single-cone National Aragon as the "loudest resonator instrument ever made."
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

Well, I've never played an Aragon, but consistent with several comments above on Hawaiian guitars, the loudest I've played is a steel bodied, biscuit bridge Duolian from the '30s--it rattled my fillings, and prompted my wife to tell me to "turn it down". My tricone is much sweeter sounding, but along with that, it has less volume. My spider reso is somewhere in the middle, and mics up nice in live settings--more so than the tricone.
DD
Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

I played one of those Aragon's once, and yes, it was very loud. The loudest that I've ever personally experienced, anyways.

-Travis
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

<SMALL>I don't know if it is true or not, but legend has it that one of the reasons Jerry Douglas got interested in Beards instead of his Sheerhorns was that he was a jam and the guy with the Beard out volumed him.</SMALL>
What are "Sheerhorns"? Sideburns? Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 15 March 2006 at 02:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

"Has anyone had an experience with a Jasper Reso.?????"

YES!!! I met Floyd at a bluegrass festival a few years ago, he found out I played a Guernsey, and handed me HIS guitar. That thing'd wake the DEAD! It wasn't just loud, though, had plenty of good, rich tone---But I'm still playing the Guernsey Image Image Image.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I have found that although metal bodies are louder under most circumstances that when the temperature gets low, the metal bodies seem to lose more volume. So if you're talking about outdoor music fest jams, especially at elevations...Strawberry, Telluride, Leadville......
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Re: Jasper guitars. Yes, I have a Jasper resonator, s/n 004. It's made of Indian and Brazil Rosewoods. Has a nice loud, balanced sound. I would recommend checking out the Jasper.

Thanx,
Jim
Warren Cohran

Post by Warren Cohran »

check out this Luttrell T100 .http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=34489. Then check out Ralph Luttrell's video on tone woods and constuction . http://www.luttrellguitars.com/
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I just re-read your original question regarding OUTDOOR jams. You will probably never get louder than the banjo due to the banjo projecting the sound outward (towards the front) while the dobro goes upward. If there no ceilings to reflect the dobro, then the sound goes 'up and away'. Most all comments I read in this topic are true when jamming inside a room with a low ceiling. Outside is a different story.

If you don't believe me, please try it outside in front of an small audience, and get their comments on your sound.

Thanx,
Jim