M-Audio Firewire Problem

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bunky Markert

M-Audio Firewire Problem

Post by Bunky Markert »

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Sonar Home Studio 4XL and an M-Audio Firewire 410 box. I am not going to attempt dealing with MIDI yet, I just want to do some audio recording. So far, no such luck, I can't seem to get the computer to recognize the audio inputs on the 410.

You have to assign the inputs and the master for outputs. Can anyone walk me through this? I get signal on the LED's on the 410, but I can't get the fader on the Sonar to register the signal. It is very frustrating. Help!
Bunky Markert

Post by Bunky Markert »

Not that anyone cares, but I figured it out, and it had to do with having the Firewire box turned on before turning on the computer, to recognize the drivers, I suppose. Everything was assigned like it was supposed to, but it wasn't working. Happy day.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Sorry not to have helped before,
But I am on a Mac and don't use this interface.

It might not be that no one cares,
but that they had no advice to give...
I figured someone with this set up would answer.

For a computer to recognize a device and then search out it's drivers,
it needs to be turned on before boot up.
Otherwise the computer won't see it.

The exception to this can me Firewire or USB drives.
But that's because they search out and query the computer when plugged in.
Most other hardware doesn't do this.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 22 October 2006 at 08:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

Yes Bunky... I am not using this interface and didn't have a any useful advice. My Mackie 400F can be turned on before or after the computer. Good luck with your setup! I am using Sonar 5PE, but just got 6PE. I just haven't had time to install it.

------------------

Steve Stallings
The Songs

Bunky Markert

Post by Bunky Markert »

Thank you guys, I didn't intend to sound whiny, I figured if someone knew the answer they'd chime in. Mine is not the most conventional setup either.

Here's my next issue - I can't get much volume out of my headphones through the firewire box. I have it turned up all the way, and I have the output faders in Sonar as high as I can get without too much red. I'm using these older-style Sennheiser open air headphones because they are comfortable, but I believe they are a different impedence than most phones. Is that the problem? My hearing isn't too good either. Is there anything else to check?
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

does the Windows system Volume control (Start -> Accessories-> Entertainment-> Volume Control) have any effect on the output to the M-audio device? you could be maxed at the recording software fader, and maxed at the device volume control, but the system volume might be turned down?
just a guess
Bunky Markert

Post by Bunky Markert »

Dave, I tried that, but the windows control shows the Firewire box being full throttle. I switched it to the internal sound card and bumped the faders up on the display and switched it back to the firewire setting to no effect. I think it might be time to get some decent phones, or a hearing aid.