Speedy and Friends

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Ihde

Speedy and Friends

Post by Mike Ihde »

Some of you have asked if my Speedy West video was available on DVD. Well, I took the time to transfer it and it looks pretty good.
The original was OK but when I made a VHS copy of it, it lost some clarity. This DVD at least looks as good as the original and the audio is very good.

I'll post the purchasing details over on "For Sale: Music, Lesson etc."

Here's what's on it...
3 single song videos of Tennessee Ernie doing "classics" like "Shot Gun Boogie", a complete half hour episode of "Hometown Jamboree" with Cousin Ernie, a short film called Tennessee Ernie and Molly Bee in "Corral Cuties" All the above feature Speedy and Jimmy. Then a short movie called "Jimmy Wakely's Jamboree" with Noel Boggs, then 5 videos of "Smokey Rogers and his Cowboy Calvalcade" (in color!) Then, Merle Travis and the Travelers (with Speedy) doing 4 or 5 tunes All together it's an hour and a half of amazing classic country music from the 1950's. It's a glimpse into the simple, happy era of country music in its infancy.
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

I had a request for a PAL version. If more people ask for it, I'll make one.
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

Hi Mike, does this include the Slim Galliard footage that was on the VHS version? I lost my tape and may order a DVD. The Jimmy & Speedy stuff is excellent.

Thanks,

Steve H.
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Funny thing is, I left that off because I didn't think anybody liked it.
If you order one, remind me and I'll make you a seperate dvd with that footage on it.
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

I had a complaint about the quality of the footage on the DVD. I think I was pretty clear about the fact that it's not all that great as far as cyrstal clarity goes.
If any of you that have received the DVD feel like commenting, please do. The way I look at is, I'm just glad the footage exists at all.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

What I'd like to know is - whatever became of Bucky Tibbs?? She was really talented, and so cute.
I guess she hung it up after Hometown Jambouree ended. She recorded a couple of duets with Tennessee Ernie, but I can't find anything else about her. She must be about 75 or so now . .