Question for those interested in course material

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Herb Steiner

Question for those interested in course material

Post by Herb Steiner »

My courses generally follow two distinct formats. One format is arrangements of entire songs... verse, chorus, intro, tag..., like the Swinging On E9 series and the Shuffles, Ballads, Waltzes series.

Another format is one that teaches traditional 8- or 16-bar solos for standard country songs, intros, and/or turnarounds. In this type, the entire song (verse, chorus) is not necessarily tabbed out, just the necessary solo for the purpose of bandstand work. Examples of this format is the 20 Solos, Intros and Turnarounds for Johnny Bush Standards, or my newest course Essential Bandstand Solos.

The $63.99 Question. The envelope, please Image:

Which do y'all prefer? Both are equally good movers for me, but I do like input from consumers of my stuff. I generally include a few requests in each of the courses I create.

Answer here, or do the email thing. Your input really does matter when making these song decisions, and oftentimes I'm reminded of tunes I'd like to do, or should do, after hearing from my constituency*. So, chime in.

(* a Bill Hankey word Image. Glad you're back, Bill.)

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Don LaCourse

Post by Don LaCourse »

herb, i have a lot of your stuff, all very good i like practicing with them, But would love some johnny paycheck , such as my part of forever- --- for a minute there----- slide off your satin sheets, ECT. his stuff is all good, my opinion, thanks, DON.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Don LaCourse on 08 October 2006 at 12:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I like the ones with the intro and solo/turnaround perosnally. I think it is more practical than playing the whole song from start to finish. Typically if I can learn the intro and the solo, I can play fills....Thanks for asking....James
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Herb, as I've old you I love all your stuff and find it all adapts well to playing things other than country, which is what I do. But the intro/fill/solo/turnaround stuff is easier to work with - sometimes the whole-song format kind of puts me into sensory overload, and I have problems figuring out what extract. Swingin' on E9 is fun to work with, but "...Bandstand Solos" is better for me from a practical application angle.

But seriously, ALL your material is so clear and well thought-out that any of it works for a myriad of applications.

Thanks -

Jim
David Pike

Post by David Pike »

hey i agree with Don some Johnny Paycheck would be great,
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bump. I'd like to get some more opinions/ideas.

------------------

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Herb, I have some of your stuff, and believe me, it's great.

The unubtainable material for me is the likes of the pads and fills that Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons put behind many of Ray Price's tunes. The steel intros and breaks have been done, but them tricky little ear benders are the ones I want.
Jim Hankins

Post by Jim Hankins »

Herb, I play alot alone, often with out even backing tracks. Thus it is much more enjoyable to learn a whole song rather than a fill, intro, etc.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Hi Herb,
I recently recieved your Essential bandstand solos to add to the two vols., of Shuffles ballads and waltzes I already have.
I can honestly say that I cannot give a preferance for one over the other.
I dropped you a line the other day requesting a total cost of two courses(swinging on E9)shipped to Glasgow U.K.I hope you recieved it.
Best regards
Billy
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Billy
I got the email, while I was on the road. You just got a reply with email. Thanks.

------------------

Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

The biggest problem I've found with instructional tapes, generally, is when the Star/teacher says they are going to play it slowly, they never do. They are so beyond beginning and intermediate playing that they forgot what a beginner actually needs.

------------------
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Herb, I have your "swingin on E9" lessons and also the "shuffles, ballads, and waltzes, all great fun to learn, but Lately I've been interested in what to play to back up a singer so that's what I've been lookin for.
Chippy Wood

Post by Chippy Wood »

I'm a sucker for lots of 'shuffle' material.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Herb,I am with Ray and Andy.The intros and solos are great,but I would like to see something to fill in the gaps behind a singer.Your material is very good,but some of the tracks are a little too fast for a 1year player such as myself.I will continue to purchase your material because it is top-notch,IMHO.
Andy Jones,struggling but not giving up
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Still looking for more light...

------------------

Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

the whole songs herb tabbed out format
how about some george strait tunes?
and yes paycheck stuff
your stuff is great!!
Don LaCourse

Post by Don LaCourse »

some MOE BANDY WOULD ALSO BE GOOD.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Hey, Herb As you know I am a beginner and have most of your stuff as I have liked both ways. I enjoy the whole song tabbed out the best. Once I get the song down I add my own flare and changes. I am currently working on the gospel set and love the single string rolls. Never heard I'll fly away like you do it. Ready for some more. The holidays are apporaching lots of time to get that work done. Hint Hint. See you soon in some honky tonk in south texas. Keep safe and God bless

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4,Thomas D10 8/5 and Desert Rose S10 3/4. Beginner Just Steelin on the Brazos river.

Donald Jeunette

Post by Donald Jeunette »

Herb, Ihave some of your lessons and no doubt about it, you have the best. I will be buying more soon. I also like Paycheck, "Take this Job and Shove it". Also I would like some songs tabed out with tracks. You have some great tracks as well.

Thanks for your time.

Don Jeunette
Carter York

Post by Carter York »

Hi Herb,

How bout a combo style approach?

You tab out a whole song, say "Under Your Spell" in a complete form, then maybe you identify some "alternatives" for some (or all) of the song parts. Maybe a few different places to play the same intro melody, cliche lick, or whatever. Or maybe, "Here are some other fills that you can try at the end of the verse lines" or "Try finishing your solo with any of these classic licks"..."These pockets have some great licks for the chorus"......etc.

Just a thought. Take care.
Stanford Lane

Post by Stanford Lane »

Hi Herb,

I personally prefer door number two. Have you thought about transposing your product into non-pedal steel?