ProPik "Reso" fingerpick problem

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

ProPik "Reso" fingerpick problem

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Hi all,

This beginner's quest for the ultimate picks continues... Image

I decided to try out the brass ProPik "Reso" fingerpicks (with split wrap). While I find them very comfortable, they produce a stratchy noise against the wound strings. If I play the way I find comfortable the ProPiks make such a racket anytime my fingers go for a lower string, that I regret this purchase and reach for my Dunlops.

Has anyone else got this problem, or is it the result of any flaw in my right hand technique? The only way to avoid this noise is to angle my hand in a way that feels unnatural to me. Have I missed something? Image

What about the cobalt plated versions for sale at Elderly? Are they "noiseless" even if the angle is such that the pick's edge hits a wound string?

Or am I better off forgetting about the ProPiks and getting some Showcase 41s instead?

Cheers,

Fred.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 20 February 2006 at 04:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Storti

Post by Bob Storti »

Fred -

For my hand position, I found the ProPik "Reso" picks to be angled the wrong direction. My picking hand (right hand) is turned slightly to the left (counter clockwise). I've found that the regular ProPik "Angled" picks help correct for this position and give me more pick face hitting the string and a clearer wrapped string sound. If your hand position is turned to the right (clockwise), the "Reso" version seems to be the better angle. I do try to keep my right elbow as close to the right side of my body as possible, so as not to increase my counter clockwise hand rotation.

Hope this helps. YMMV Good Luck.

Bob
Ron Bednar

Post by Ron Bednar »

Hey Fred,
I also really liked how those split ring ProPiks felt but I kept getting them caught in the strings for some reason.
I tried a bunch of different ones but always end up back with the Dunlops. The Dunlops are thicker and I think give a better sound. One thing though you have to take the time and form them closely to your fingers with a small pair of needle nose for the most secure fit.
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

I like the Pro Pik reso picks and find the angle perfect. I also use an angled Zookie pick.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

I've been using the "PROPIK NICKEL RESOPHONIC GUITAR FINGERPICK" (single wrap, but they make a double wrap as well):
http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK46-NKL-L.htm

These angle away from the thumb (towards the bottom of the guitar when in picking position). Bobby Ingano gave me a tip to angle my picks in this position, and these picks do it for you.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I had a similar experience with the Pro-Pik Reso picks. Last week I bought some after noticing that Rob Ickes was using them in the DVD course I have, and the pick noise was very annoying. I spent a couple of hours with them and a pair of needle nose pliers and could never get them right. I whipped out my new spare set of Jeff Newman picks, spent about 10 minutes bending them into shape, and have never looked back. Although there are many people using the Pro-Piks with good results, I just don't think they are for everyone. I think the noise problem is a right hand thing, but I don't have that problem with the Newman picks.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

The brass can get a bit gunky and need polishing, maybe that's it...

-Travis
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

I just love these ProPik reso picks. The first set I bought were angled the wrong way. The new set say 3-ang and are just right. There was a little getting used to but with a set of pliers and a little patience I got them just right.

The double wrap works best for me. I also use a Zoolie 15 and now my (what some would say)poor right hand position does not bother me anymore.

Watch you fingers- if you are striking the strings at a slight angle then these picks will work for you.
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

Exactly, Gary - these work great depending on the angle your fingers hit the strings. The reso picks work best for me for Hawaiian/steel playing (fingers hit the strings more on the thumb side, rather than straight on); the speed picks work best for standard guitar playing (fingers hit the strings more on the pinky side, rather than straight on).

Plastics sound the best to me, but I pick better with the Propiks. The angled picks all but eliminate any rough pick noise I get with other metal picks.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I've always loved the scratching sounds that you can get when playing dobro. But the idea is to be able to control when you get it and when you don't. The Reso piks allow me to do that. I also like the sound of the bar scrubbing on the strings, that growl Jerry Douglas uses sometimes. Very cool haunting sounds are noises to some, emotion to others.