Please Close

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Ken Fox

Please Close

Post by Ken Fox »

I have now completed two of these upgrades and the results were outstanding.

The first one I did was a 1983 with the older Black Widow speaker, 1502-4SB. I used my own hand selected parts. I used orange drop caps, some mylars and tantatlum caps (instead of the electrolytic type in the Peavey kit) and of course Burr Brown audio chips. This amp already had the Bob Metzger reverb mod.

Quite honestly I have never played a Nashville 400 I liked, especially with my Tele! This one blew me away with the crisp Fender like tone and a spring reverb like I have never heard!

I just finished another for a Forum member and am expecting a third very soon in the shop. His amp also had the older 1502-4 speaker and he was very pleased with the results as well.

The mod changes all the filter caps out (6 total), all coupling caps out, the Metzger reverb mod, the Peavey type tone mod (engineered by Peavey, but using my selected parts). All together 36 components are replaced.

DO NOT SHIP WITH PACKING PEANUTS! It will not survive the trip. I got one in damaged due to being packed that way! Insurance will not cover an item packed in peanuts, as it in not considered sufficient for the weight of the amp!!!

Click on picture below to open link. Click on each picture to enlarge.

by <a href=http://community.webshots.com/user/fenderonly> fenderonly</a>

The total for the mod installed is $235.00 and return shipping. As with the Session 400 mod I am offering, the amp chassis or amp may be sent to me. Return freight will be added to final bill. I will require payment prior to shipping back the amp. I will also add 3 percent to the bill if paid by PayPal. Any additional work required will be billed seperately. Please do not send a non-working amp!

I will send the Excel spreadsheet to anyone wanting to do the mod themselves. It contains all parts numbers, prices and suppliers.

I will not be selling the kit only, as I do not have time for the amount of tech support it would likely require.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 03 November 2006 at 05:05 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 04 December 2006 at 02:44 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 04 December 2006 at 02:52 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 04 December 2006 at 02:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Last edited by Ken Fox on 10 Nov 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Hi Ken,

Please send me that spreadsheet. Sounds like you've got another winner on your hands. Here's wishing you much success.
Last edited by Mike Wheeler on 1 Mar 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry Johnson

Post by Kerry Johnson »

Ken .... I'd love to have the Excel sheet too ! thank-you

kj1008 at hotmail dot com
Randy Beavers

Post by Randy Beavers »

I had Ken do the complete mod on my Nashville 400. I can tell you when I heard it I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. It does have that jaw dropping WOW factor now. I've never heard a Nashville 400 sound like this. Even the reverb sounds great.

Now if Ken could figure out a way to shed about 30 pounds off it...
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Information emailed to 5 folks today. Glad to help out

Thanks, Randy for the feedback on the work I did for you!

The Nashville 400 is one of the best built amps to come along over the years. I just found it hard to tweak for a good sound!

The idea for what I did was combination of ideas from other people. Brad's Session 400 kit was the inspiration to do the tone caps! The Metzger reverb mod was also a great inspiraton after I heard the first one as well! Filter caps, well that was my idea. I know what they do as they age!!
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Ken, thanks for your help on my Profex II. I have another question I thought I'd ask here on the forum because other folks might be interested in the answer. I have a Nashville 400 that already has the Lemay Mod. Could your Mod work or be modified to work along with this Mod? Would the fact that it already had the Lemay Mod cause it to cost more or less to have done than your full Mod?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Danny Letz on 06 November 2006 at 05:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I can't say for sure, as I do not know what the Lemay kit included for parts.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 06 November 2006 at 06:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have added two more electrolytic caps to the spreadsheet. If anyone needs a copy, please email me.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I did a few more parts number changes on the spreadsheet today. Email if you need a current copy.

Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Two more mods done and sounding great.

Thanks again to Randy Beavers, John Dunn and Roger Rettig.

One on the way for Forum member John Kalament!
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 19 November 2006 at 02:20 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 19 November 2006 at 03:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Ballmer

Post by Keith Ballmer »

Can you send me a spread sheet also.
Thanks
keithballmer@hotmail.com
Ricky Chancey

Post by Ricky Chancey »

Hey Ken, Could you send me the mod spec's i have 2 N/400's i like 2 see what's up with the MOD. rickychancey@bellsouth.net
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

Ken,

I'd like to get the spreadsheet emailed. Thanks a lot.

Gabriel
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Emails sent.

I do not check the Forum as often as my email. It is much easier to send me an email for the information!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Average turn around is about 1 to 2 days in the shop at this time.

Anyone needing a spreadsheet and other info? Just email me and I will get the info right out for you on the Nashville 400, Vegas 400 or Session 400/LTD400 (Sarno mod)

Fred Bova

Post by Fred Bova »

Ken, I'd love a spread sheet also. Thanks, fred
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Hi Ken,

I will take you up on your generous offer -- please email me the spreadsheet, too. Thank ya.

Al

bodhisan@comcast.net
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

files sent to Al and Fred.
David Dunn

Post by David Dunn »

If anyone wants to "Wake-Up" a NV400, Ken sure does it with this mod. Got mine back last week and had a chance to play both steel and a 72 Tele through it this weekend. Clean and clear, reverb sounds sweet like the old Fender's.

Thanks Ken, you are a magician, best money I've spent in a long time.

Dave
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks again for the positive feedback, Dave!

I just finished one for John Kalament. Four more are on the way for the mods.

I have kits in stock now for 10 more amps. Again, I will not be selling the kits, just proving the info free by email.

This mod also works well with the Vegas 400, just a few more parts, as it is just a Nashville 400 with an extra channel and a bigger cabinet!

I have a kit put together for the Vegas 400 and the Session 400 and LTD 400 (Brad Sarno's mod). Glad to share that info as well.

Terry Srader

Post by Terry Srader »

Please send me the excel spreadsheet too. Thanks
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Copies of spreadsheet with board layout and reverb mod details sent out today for all who emailed me or requested it on the Forum.

BJ Jenkins

Post by BJ Jenkins »

Ken I tried to Email BUT got the "page not available" flag.
Mighty big thing you are doing for the Brotherhood...Many thanks and :
Please send me the Sheets.
tnx again !
bj

------------------
BJ Jenkins
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Emails sent.

Again email for faster results. My email is fine, I am getting emails with no problems

I have 8 more kits ready to install. Let me know if you want one installed.

Again, I will not be selling kits, only the info is free. No tech support either!!!

Sorry but, too much time can be involved with DIYers who do not have a enough background in electronics to handle the mods!!