Jerry Douglas Live

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Archie Nicol

Jerry Douglas Live

Post by Archie Nicol »

I don't know if you've already seen this, but here it is anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfsrOEoI5g&search=jerry%20douglas
Richard Sevigny

Post by Richard Sevigny »

Nice. Very nice.

Is that some "vintage" mic he's got picking up the sound?
basilh

Post by basilh »

I think it;s a CAD similar to this Image
or this CLICK <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by basilh on 15 February 2006 at 12:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jerry is an Endorser of, and plays through a Shure KSM32.

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 15 February 2006 at 06:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

I notice Jerry did not not anounce the title of the tune he plays, maybe thats why he actually forgot to play the tune itself !
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Thanks Archie for the link. Great music
Jim Jasutis

Post by Jim Jasutis »

I posted the link on another site to share the music and was reprimanded for violating copyright laws.

Actually that is overstating it a little. But I was told that the site was violating the copyright laws. So, I removed the link and the whole thread disappeared. :>)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Jasutis on 17 February 2006 at 05:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I'm not a fan of dobro per se, like in bluegrass (even though I love blue grass) but this stuff Jerry is playing really sounds great to me. It"s the first time I have heard him.
Charlie Fullerton

Post by Charlie Fullerton »

KSM32 hmmmmmmmmmmmm! I have at least one DVD featuring Mr. Douglas "Live" with Union Station, backing Shania Twain. On that he has all four guitars wired through a foot-volume to a "rack" full of heaven knows what -- delay, and distortion, for two.
I must check the other DVD (the one without Shania). Its also "live" for whatever that means.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

I believe that clip is from the Alison Krauss & Union Station "Live" DVD.
A really fine show and well worth having in your collection! IMHO. Lots of great music!

------------------
SHO~BUDS,FENDER AMPS& GUITARS, TUT TAYLOR RESO'S

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 18 February 2006 at 07:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charlie Fullerton

Post by Charlie Fullerton »

The DVD with Union Station backing Shania was a TV show --40 odd minutes, I think made for our national (CBC), tax-payer supported, network -- they did broadcast it!
The one without Shania is filmed in Louisville, Ky; the photo on the back of the box show his "rack", fv, and four "axes". I can't tell from that photo it he is "plugged in" on not!
The latter one is out on the Rounder label!
The former would be catalogued as "Shania Twain -- Up Close and Personal" It on Mercury and/or Univeral. Mr. Douglas does most of the lead work, some fiddle, a little guitar.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I am watching the AKUS live video right now, and Jerry is both "plugged in" and using a mic. I also have the Shania Twain w/ AKUS video and I believe he is doing the same thing.

While we're talking about Jerry, does anyone know the tunings on the other 3 dobro's that he is using?

------------------
Carter D10 9p/9k, NV400, Korg Triton Le88 Synth, Korg CX-3 organ, Yamaha Motif Rack Module, Regal Dobro, Tele, Gretsch Acoustic.

Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

I`m pretty sure Jerry`s other tunings are
G-Dobro tuning a whole step down to F (for Man of Constant Sorrow), Open D and D up a whole step to E. The last could be G down to E, though.

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I know that Jerry has a Trilogy tailpiece on his Guernsey, I THINK that's the "Man of Constant Sorrow" guitar...