Tuning a 7-string lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stan Steinberg

Tuning a 7-string lap steel

Post by Stan Steinberg »

I have an old lap steel that was tuned (many years ago)to A6. Over the years I forgot the names of the seven strings, their position and their guage. I would be very grateful for some help. Thank you.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Here's one example tuning that would work. These are the Herb Remington strings that b0b sells to support the Steel Guitar Forum. I would use the C6 Low or A6 strings and omit one of the strings. Click on the STRINGS link at the top of the page to purchase:
<pre>
C6 Low (or A6)
--------------
E .014 E
C .017 C#
A .022w A
G .024 F#
E .030 E
C .034 C#
A .042 A
G .046 F#
</pre>

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Stan-- just leave off the low F#. Your A6 would be (lo-hi) A-C#-E-F#-A-C#-E. What kind of guitar do you have?
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

You can also order a 6 string set from Bob and buy one more string. You can either order the C6/A6 set and buy a low A, or the A/E7 set and buy an F#.

That's what I do - I've bought the E set and added an F#, the A/E7 set with an F# - I also ordered the same set and bought a low E to go with it.

Once I bought a set from Bob and let him know what tuning I was using - he threw in a different gauge string he thought might work better. Now I hope nobody expects Bob to be throwing in extra strings at the drop of a hat - I just thought it was a great example of the great, personalized customer service he delivers.
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

To Brad, Stephan and John....thanks a million for your help....you guys are the reason this forum is so successful.Stephan,I have a Trotmore lap all metal that I haven't played for many years and I want to get it back in playing order. Your replies are right on the money. Thanks again....very much appreciated.
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

I have seen some Trotmore steels (photos only), but I didn't know they made an all metal model. Please post photos.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Stan; I would use a C6/A7 Tuning:
Lo–Hi = A–C#–E–G–A–C–E.
.042w, .036w, .030w, .024w, .020p, .017p, .014p. Actually, I personally would use ‘my’ favorite tuning! C-Diatonic: Lo–H = E–F–G–A–B–C–E.
.030w, .028w, .024w, .020p, .018p, .017p, .014p.

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
’05 D–10 Derby
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15”
Current Equipment

Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

Richard and John....thanks for your comments.....very much appreciated. Richard, I don't have any way I can post a picture of the Trotmore....I suggest you go to the Jerry Byrd fan club web site...there is a picture there under the topic "Guitars Jerry Byrd used". Some (or one)Trotmore
guitar(s)were made of wood and some of metal...only a few guitars were made. Mine is an all metal alloy...designed to minimize temperature changes that adversly change the string settings. Please post if I can be of further help......Stan
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Stan, Don't you think it would be fair to tell the nice peoples that your lap steel is battery operated since it was made before electricity?
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

One prob...batteries ARE electric!
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

A.J. Fred doesn't know that.
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

I did too! I wuz just checkin AJ out.
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

A.J. ....you must feel sorry for Fred....he lives in a small town in south east Texas where they are just now getting electricity.

Fred....see you in Dallas...take care my friend
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

lol Stan. I am just getting lucidity.It's all good Image
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Stan, you jest! However you caused a pleasant memory to surface.Sometime around 1941-1943 we got our first electricity on the farm in Northern Missouri.We continued use of gas engines for a while.My aunt had a maytag washer with a gas engine. Us boys would take it off and use it on our homemade go cart.Monday a.m. you could hear you screaming,you little ------- get that engine back on my washer.So it all started over every week.Those were not bad days! Lookin forward to seeing you in Dallas. Fred