Polytone Amps

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Mansfield

Polytone Amps

Post by Jack Mansfield »

Does anyone play their steel thru a polytone amp?
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

many moons ago I used a polytone and relly liked it. However it could not stand up to road rigors. They have probably made them more sturdy by now.
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

my Mini Brute started smoking while performing. When the amp tech took it apart, he said I was lucky it didn't go up in flames.

G
Chuck Halcomb

Post by Chuck Halcomb »

I love my MIni Brut 5 which I use with a Reminington T8. I play through a 'Black Box' and the tone is outstanding.

The reason I got it was that Herb Remington plays through one and anyone who has ever heard Herb knows that he sounds great. Of course, Herb would probably sound good playing through any amp. Image

------------------
Remington Steel T-8 Steelmaster
Gibson Console Grande
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

I have one in my studio. It does 6 & 12 string guitars, Steel and even Bass sometimes. When I use an amp, I use my Polytone.
Of course there are endless effects on the front end and processors on the recording, so I get what I want out of it.

------------------
Cheers!
Dave

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 10 February 2006 at 12:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Is the Polytone a solid state or tube type?
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

I've always known it to be solid state. It's been a favorite of jazz guitarist for a long time.
Marc Weller

Post by Marc Weller »

I have the Mega Brain which is a solid state head and I use it with a Raezors Edge cabinet which is a twin 8 " closed back ported cabinet. This is a dream rig for jazz guitar. It also sounds great for non-pedal particularly if you are into a darker sound. Also breaks up very nicely, you'd swear it is a tube amp. I don't use it for pedal steel as it just doesn't have the highs I like for E9. Great for C6 though. All the bass you could want and 1/4 the weight of my Vibrosonic Reverb. As for reliability, mine broke when it was a few months old. I live fairly close to Polytone so I just dropped it off and it was like pulling teeth before they finally fixed it. I'm glad to report it has been trouble free ever since (3-4 years now as I recall).