Seeking some honest opinions about this purchase

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Steve Raulston

Seeking some honest opinions about this purchase

Post by Steve Raulston »

Hey guys,

I don't mean any harm here and will withhold the name of the seller who sold me the latest Session 2000 in sincere belief that he will be sending me a refund. What I am seeking though are some honest opinions about what you guys think about the condition of this amp. An amp that was supposed to be "new" other than collecting dust in a corner. When I opened up the chassis, I noticed it has little spots of corrosion all over the leads. I took photos of the most obvious stuff, although the corrosion inside will ultimately lead to failure very soon. There are very few screws that don't have rust on them. What do yous guys think? Am I being too anal about buying something and should just chock it up to experience? I recently bought a Session from Danny Hullihen that was described "like new" and it was! No rust, no damage just a fine amp. Lastly, this amp wasn't real cheap as I paid $675.00 to get it to my doorstep. So please chime in and let me know what you think. Click on the link below to see pics of some of my claims.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1648584 <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 08 April 2006 at 12:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Mullett

Post by Ken Mullett »

Definitely not in "like new" condition!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Mullett on 08 April 2006 at 12:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

wow steve that looks a little rough
to me!!
its for sure its had some water but from where?? it looks like its been setting somewhere under a leaking roof or in a basement does it work ok??
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Thanks for chiming in. Hey Mike, that was what I thought also. Water or the fact the gentleman lives in Florida and does gigs on boats. Boats + salt air = rust. But then that conflicts with "the amp never being gigged. The interior also had some white powder like mildew so maybe your theory is correct. Maybe it was accidently left under a leaky roof. It runs, but with all the corrosion, I believe it to be a bomb just waiting to go off. I would show you the pics of the chassis, but the flash prevents the damage from really coming through. I have sent the photos to the guy and haven't gotten a response. Do you folks feel I should have to pay shipping both ways for this blunder?
My stance is that I was led to believe it to be "like new" and this isn't even a reasonable facsimile in my opinon. BTW, thank you very much for all opinions posted here.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 08 April 2006 at 01:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Steve, good to see you my friend. Sorry that the amp wasn't what you expected. I play gigs down here on the beach every week and some of the dates we play are out on docks and are almost always near salt water. Our bassist has been through 3 Peavey Combo amps in 5 years, all purchased used from other players in this area. They all were rusty inside. After reading this post I pulled the head out of my Line 6 and amazingly it still looks great. I hope this all works out for you.

------------------
Clark Custom D10 8&5
B-bender Telecaster
www.jimwalkeronline.com

Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Does the amp work?
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Steve,
That amp has been outdoors near the ocean.(or perhaps on a boat in the ocean) That is definately salt on the transformer. Nothing but trouble. Who knows when it will go out on you, but one thing is for sure......it will.
No, you should not have to pay for any shipping. You already paid once. If you feel like going through all the trouble to clean it up, use WD-40 on the transformer and chassis.(I know, I know there will be a few folks that disagree with WD-40 on electronics, but it will be fine).
As for the circuit board, blast it with WD-40 as well. Then, when it is dry, you will need about three cans of contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Give it a good soaking.(unit unplugged of course) Allow it to thoroughly dry. Then blast it again. Seriously. I have done this before. It can work.
That being said, you are certainly entitled to get a refund on this misrepresented sale. Image
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

The seller could be telling the truth, in a way. It could have been "like new" when it was stored away. But it was stored for a long time in a damp basement, or in an unheated building where the daily temperature change left condensation repeatedly, or near the ocean - I don't think it had to have water dripping on it. But he would have to be very unobservant not to notice the rust build up - and he should have told you. If it was an honest mistake, he should be willing to give you about 2/3 of your money back, because you have a high risk piece of junk that will take work and money to restore, if it can be done.
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Thanks for all the support guys. Good to see your post also Jim. The gentleman got back with me and offered a refund. He didn't mention shipping, so in my response I told him I would cut my losses and pay the shipping one way. I guess (after stewing on this for a time) that everyone perceives condition a little differently. When I am told "new" I honestly think factory fresh. If dealers represented their gear in such a way, most would be out of biz in no time. Maybe we should have a rating system here in this forum so when a transaction is complete and both parties are satisfied, a rating of sorts may be posted. Not like ebay, but just to let folks know the individual is stand up and worthy of sending significant aomunts of cash. Just a thought. Thanks again guys.
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Hey David, thanks for the reply. Are you serious though? 2/3 of my money? You think I should be held accountable for something that wasn't in my control? All I did was exercise my trust? I am just curious, because all I am looking for here are opinions, so yours is just as valuable to me David. I honestly hope that 2/3 doesn't become a reality. That's a huge price for me to pay for merely doing business with someone who is somewhat myopic.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 08 April 2006 at 03:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Steve, that rust is not uncommon, and shouldn't hurt the performsnce in any way. How was the amp cosmetically( vinyl, knobs, speaker grill)? Glad you got it worked out to the satisfaction of both. JP
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Hi Jim. The corrosion is on the interior also. There are a couple dents and such. I could have lived with that but I spoke with Danny Hullihen about the rust and he says it is only a matter of time and this amp WILL FAIL! It is a computer of sorts not just an amp. If I were to see that in any amp in the music store, I simply wouldn't buy it. I don't have any equipment (guitars or amps) that are plagued with rust or any form of corrosion. I have another Session 2000 and it is 100% rust free. I just would'nt buy anything that looks neglected. Rust happens from neglect in my opinion. But then opinons are like belly buttons. Thank guys.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 08 April 2006 at 03:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Gotta disagree with the idea that the rust won't hurt the performance. It has been the cause of at least 2 amp failures for me. And you shouldn't be paying shipping at all, the amp was totally misrepresented.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

Steve, Just saying hello from another steeler in Modesto. We moved here from Southern California last year. Sorry to hear about the problem with your Session 2000. Hope you get it resolved. I had the same problem with an amp I bought fom a southern state last year. The humidity can really damage those components, and yes, I think you have a legitimate concern.
Randy Gilliam

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Looks Like It Has flood damage, If You ask For a refund Iam Sure He will Give it to you? Thanks Randy.
Mickey McGee

Post by Mickey McGee »

I feel the same way-like new is used but new-your amp is like ruff-if the seller is on Ebay no response is a big red flag,I wish you luck with this.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

<SMALL>That amp has been outdoors near the ocean</SMALL>
From the looks of it it might have been on the bottom of the ocean.I hope that you will get your refund Steve.But I've got a question.Didn't you ask for pictures before you bought it?I always ask for pictures when I buy a secondhand amp or steel.

Ron

------------------
<font size="0"><font face="arial" size=1><A class=db href="mailto:bigsbysteel@hotmail.com subject=Forum Reply">Click here to E-mail us.</font></A>

<FONT SIZE=2 COLOR="#0000FF">Karen Kaylee Records</font>
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF">KRS D-10 8x7, KRS SD10 4x6 EMMONS P/P S10 3x5 Peavey Session 400 LTD, Peavey Ultra 15" Peavey All Tube 15"
Fender Twin Reverb Hilton Volumepedal Hilton Sustain</FONT>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald ! on 09 April 2006 at 06:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Steve,
On the 2/3 thing. I think David was saying 2/3 back and you keep the amp. Of course this should come with the choice of full refund if you don't want.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

If he is willing to refund 2/3 and you keep it, that would be a great deal actually- you could have the amp rebuilt and better than new at that rate.
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Thank you for all the replies. Man, I never thought I would get this many opinions. I asked for pictures, but the guy made a couple excuses about his camera. And in the several conversations that we have had over the course of the last couple weeks, he seemed like an honorable gentleman. I try to give people the benefit of doubt. In this case, it back fired a bit. I wish I could get all my money back inlcuding "all" shipping, but I seriously doubt he will do that. Again, thank you everyone for all the replies. Have a great one!

Steve Raulston<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 09 April 2006 at 11:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

If this was a forum related transaction, I would worry that this amp will be relisted (assuming you do succesfully return it for a refund), once again without proper description or detailed photos (if I'm selling this amp, I not only provide pics, I provide close-ups of any and all flaws that might alarm a buyer. I want full awareness of issues before a deal, not after!)
Let any potential buyers in the future be sure to ask "is this the amp that you sold to Steve Raulston?"
(I'd request that you name the seller but I understand any reluctance to do so---so caveat emptor, everybody, big time!)
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

Now I have a problem. I just received an email from this guy and he is saying this entire transaction has cost him too much time, money and shipping! Heck, I paid $75.00 for the shipping and he's saying he did? In short, he's saying he won't return my money. I called him and let him know that I would start a complaint process through Pay Pal and that this thread exists. This guy was something I totally misread. He is now saying he never said it was in "new" condition and that he offered pics. Wow, this is a mess. Danny Hullihen knows of this transaction and I am sure he will vouch for the fact that I am extremely detailed about knowing the condition of something I purchase. In other words "I ask more than a few questions about the condition. I have been stung in the past and I know to ask details. Now this guy is denying that any of that happened. Man, I am beside myself as I have never met a Steel Guitar player that stiffs folks. I look on our community as trustworthy and worth our salt. I will keep you guys posted I guess.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 09 April 2006 at 12:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Well, now I will change my thinking from the previous post--I think it's time to know who this guy is.
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

YES, this is a forum related sale. I found that guy because he had it listed here. I called him and left a message on his answering machine and informed him of this thread. If he doesn't refund my money, I will drop his name. What he is doing is beyond wrong. Anyone that knows me knows how I buy. I ask very detailed questions to the point of being anal I guess. And you know what tops it all off? He told me several times he is a devout Christian and that I could trust him. Now this? Lastly, he said he spoke with the most honest person he knows who happens to be his neighbor. The neigbor told him I was being too picky and I should just replace the bolts and screws. I wish this was that simple. Man, did I have a target painted on my forehead for this transaction or what!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Raulston on 09 April 2006 at 12:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Katrina survivor.