Politically Correct...................

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

DITTO
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Henry Ford figured there could be no improvement to the Model T ... (I think he was probably correct). Let's leave the THREAD the way it is ... If Henry were running this Forum, he'd leave it "as-is". Image I'm with b0b.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Wait a minute, the Model T was riddled with problems...
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

How about "if it ain't got no pedals, it's here. Well, maybe one pedal is OK, Howard."
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

"Wait a minute, the Model T was riddled with problems..."

Yah, but it also had 3 pedals ! Image
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

YES! And you could get it in any color of your choice as long as it was BLACK.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Didn't the black ones run better?
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I like it as it is.

No one has mentioned that the name "No Peddlers" is inspired by a magazine column from years back.

I don't recall which mag, possibly Tom Bradshaw's (?)

There's an excellent drummer in my area named Jack Peddler. I guess he's not welcome here. It's a <U>musician's</u> forum. Image
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

When I was based in Europe during the war in Korea, I was in a country band, which had some Opry guys in it. Some one said they were getting a drummer, and I told them he could have my spot (steel), and I quit.
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Bill,
I don't get it.
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

I always looked at the name "no peddlers" as a compliment -- more of a challenge. Try riding a bike with no pedals!

Al
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

If you are playing a "regular" guitar, no one comes up to you and asks: "Gee, what brand of SPANISH guitar is that?" which is sort of the official name for the thing.

We all know that the instrument in question here originated in Hawaii, but if you are playing something as unsusual looking as a Harmos, I wouldn't expect someone to ask "what kind of Hawaiian steel guitar is that?"

------------------
Mark
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Ray, plectrum guitars have 4 strings and are tuned exactly like plectrum banjos. Maybe you are remembering "plectrum style" which meant playing with a pick (plectrum) and usually on steel strings.

The term Spanish guitar was referring to the tuning we now call standard guitar tuning, i.e. E-A-D-G-B-E. Thus, Gibson used the prefix ES meaning electric spanish on many of their electric guitars and used the prefix EH (electric Hawaiian) on their steels.
Dan Peterson

Post by Dan Peterson »

Ahem, guys & gals, here's a slightly different 'perspective' no one seems to have mentioned (or thought of?) during this marathon thread. When I first joined last year, and looked at topics 'No Peddlers' intrigued me, but to be honest, my 'first thought' was ...hmm..'Peddler' is a salesman, hawker, door to door guy/gal (IMHO), but I'll take a look anyway. Much to my delight, I found quickly it's where I belonged.

Webster says: <I>A peddler (also known as a canvasser or solicitor) is a travelling vendor of goods. Historically, peddlers usually travelled by foot, carrying their wares, or by means of an animal-drawn wagon. Modern peddlers may use motorized vehicles to transport themselves and their commodities. Typically, they operate door-to-door or at organized events such as fairs.

In many economies this work was often left to nomadic minorities, such as gypsies, offering a varied assortment of goods, both evergreens and (notoriously suspicious) novelties. Peddlers sometimes doubled as performers, supposed healers, or fortune-tellers.

While peddlers had a significant role in supplying isolated populations even with fairly basic goods, their market share has in modern times been drastically reduced as increasing density of population and buying power encouraged sedentary, even specialized sales points, while modern transport, mail order, refrigeration and other technology allow even rural clients alternative channels of purchase.</I> Does he/she also play lap steel? dunno? Image

All that said and done, (Inserting tongue firmly in cheek) I think b0b's 'No Peddlers' is a delightful play on words, fun and works for me! How about You? CASE CLOSED? Image dan<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dan Peterson on 28 January 2006 at 01:27 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dan Peterson on 28 January 2006 at 01:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Case closed. Thanks for playing. Pay the man on your way out...