Sierra Laptop pickup-switching option?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tony Harris

Sierra Laptop pickup-switching option?

Post by Tony Harris »

After singing the praises of my Sierra on another post, I wondered if any of you have the model with the extra switching options, which I think gives 2 other sounds - coils in parallel, and one single coil. With the right switch, this would be easy to do - anyone find these extra tones useful? Thanks.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Hi Tony,

I have a Sierra Lap 8 in cherry, with the pickup selector switch. It's alright. Kind of a gimmick and not really not that necessary. I also have a Sierra Lap 8 in black, that does not have the selector switch and I don't miss it when I play that steel. I usually set my sound with the eq's on my amp and then tweek it with the steels tone control...guess what I'm saying is that it is not worth the extra $$. Just my opinion.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 27 January 2006 at 01:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donald Ruetenik

Post by Donald Ruetenik »

I built a 10 string Lap with a George-L 12-5 a while back. Although all the different sounds were fun to noodle around with at first, my ears decided that only two were usable and I replaced the cantankerous 5 way rotary switch with a 2 way toggle.

If your Sierra has a regular George-L pickup, I don't think your going to make any improvement by reconfiguring the leads.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I agree with Donald ... it was fun for a week or so

But it was replaced quickly ... as soon as Lollar finished my 8 string Ricky style bobbin and I made a set of horseshoe magnets to fit it ...

------------------

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 27 January 2006 at 05:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Harris

Post by Tony Harris »

Thanks everyone for your advice, and Tom I'm envious - an 8-string in the cherry finish! I have the 6-string in black, and sometimes crave a 7th string underneath...maybe one day. The pickup on my-string is actually a custom-made Dimarzio, apparently because George L's didn't make a 6-string model, although I guess the Dimarzio is aiming for a similar sound. The reason I asked the question was that I can't imagine the tone being any better - it has a wonderful full sound, but with all the top end I want. At times the tone reminds me of a certain Mr. Emmons. (But NOT the playing).