Bigsby pickups?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Colin Alder

Bigsby pickups?

Post by Colin Alder »

Does anyone know where I can get Bigsby type pickups, or detailed information on how they were built? I got an old email address for Paul Warnick off the Forum, but it bounced back.

------------------
Colin Alder
www.cruztonesteel.com
Act Dorky, Live Forever

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I am about to build identical pickups for the Bigsby steel guitars, and possibly for the standard guitars in the future.
Bobbe Seymour
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Colin, I just emailed Paul Warnick last week with the same question . The email got bounced back as well.
Bobbe I hope you will be building some extras for sale. I have some great curly and quilted maple waiting for a steel of this caliber. I may even use some of my prized extremely curly Koa for a fine project as this.
Todd
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Years ago I heard a rumor that Bigsby pickups were wound with a heavier guage copper wire than todays pickups. ????

Roger
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Paul Warnik is/was making them ... we talked alot at HSGA '05.

He brought some parts in to show me ... cause they were similar to what we are doing.

He said he was using #38 ... just as the originals used.

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's Cast Steel Guitars</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

Marvin Erickson

Post by Marvin Erickson »

Colin...Sorry cannot get through Qurb with info on Bigsby pickups, but good luck anyway.

Marv
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Bobbe, will you be making only 8 & 10 string pickups like most of the original Bigsbys or will you be able to make 12-string pickups too as a custom order?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 16 January 2006 at 11:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Jim, it will only be the 8-10 string units.
However, I will also be doing the 6 string lead guitar pickups, after the steel guitar units are in production.

Bobbe<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 17 January 2006 at 06:35 AM.]</p></FONT>