Steel in the Navy

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Anderson

Steel in the Navy

Post by Gary Anderson »

Just read a aticle in the "Colorado River Weekender" about the Blyth Bluegrass Festival On Jan 19 - 21. One of the 11 Bands performing is the U.S. Navy's "Country Current Band" MU1 Brad M. Corbin on pedal steel guitar. Photo looks like he playes a doubie neck Derby. I did not know that the Navy had a country band ( 7 members) but I am happy and Proud for them. Anyone Know Brad ?
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

The U S Navy has sported many bluegrass and country bands of which a current forumite was a member, Jeff Agnew. He was one of the few steel players that was severely handicapped, he could only play steel and not double on banjo. Brad Corbin an accomplished steel player, is also hot as a fire cracker on banjo. I was also a member of the U S Navy Band stationed out in Seattle, Wa. playing steel and banjo. I did get some sea duty in riding the ferry across Peuget Sound. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gary Lee Gimble on 22 December 2006 at 08:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Brad won't be at the Blythe Festival. When "Country Current" does bluegrass it's all acoustic, guitar, banjo, bass, mandolin, fiddle. No steel, electric guitar, or drums.
They are a great band and very nice guys to work with.

If you do go to the Blythe Festival, say hi, I'll be running sound at one of the stages.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 22 December 2006 at 09:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Hey Gary I have a good friend who plays Guitar,Mando,and Fiddle in that band.His name is Frank Solivan and he's a great young man..say hi for me.Oh by the way he sings his butt off,and dosen't have a neck.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Stu Schulman on 22 December 2006 at 10:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I have a story about steel guitars in the Navy. Many years ago, I was visiting with Ron Lashley Sr. at a NAMM show in Chicago. He invited me to sit down and try out his new "all pull" steel. While I was playing, three Navy people in uniform came into the booth and began talking to Ron. I stopped playing so they could talk but Ron asked me to keep playing. I did and before long he had taken an order for several steels for the Navy country bands. So apparently, even back in the early 80's, the Navy had steel guitar players in what likely was a few country bands. And the Navy supplied the instruments! I'll bet those early LeGrandes went all over the world. I can't remember for sure but I think they ordered them in battleship grey mica.
TC
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Thats cool government supplied pedal steels. I'm surprised they didn't send it through the Pentagon and get a contract to have them built for $2,000,000.00 a piece. Thats just the way government has always done it before. I wonder if any of these guitars wind up in Army/Navy surpluss stores?

Colby
Gary Anderson

Post by Gary Anderson »

I won't be going to the bluegrass festival but thanks for all the great information.
Stan Steinberg

Post by Stan Steinberg »

Gary, the U.S. Navy band, "Country Current", was formed in 1973,and was one of several bands comprising the "Navy Band". In 1982 and in 1983 they made two albums that I know of titled "Changing Current" and "A Decade of Service".during these years the band consisted of 7 musicians...Rhythm Guitar,Banjo, Mandolin,Drums, Lead Guitar,Pedal Steel,and Bass. Several members played several instruments. Jeff Agnew played steel on these albums. I hope this info is useful to you...Let me know if I can be of further help....Stan
Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Hello Gary & Stan: Glad to hear you boys talking about Steel Guitar being popular in the U.S. Navy today. Maybe I had something to bring its' popularity to light, about thirty years previous to these new formed groups. I went aboard a DMS Destroyer Minesweeper in 1953, in Charleston, S.C. I had just purchased my 53 Multi-Kord Harlin Pedal steel; We headed for a six month cruise to the Mediterranien Sea. A buddy of mine, from the fine state of Ill. had brought his double neck Gibson with him.. He was my first steel guitar teacher; he played just like Johhny Siebert [ Carl Smith's steel guitar player ]. Well, we surely had lots of fun aboard our little minesweeper group. Eventually, we ran into a few other musicians from our sister ships. Often times, in Monaco and a few other Ports, we'd go ashore and play some good C/W Music, in some PUBS. Even got invited to play for parties aboard some of the bigger ships, in our fleet. Never had the privelege of going to recording sessions or being recognized by the higher ups in the Navy. but I feel like I was putting a good foot forward for Steel Guitars, being an instument of interest.. I loved it..Have a great Xmaz to all you lovers of the steel guitar..Bernie

S-10 Sierra; Sho-Bro Resonator; 53 Harlin Bros. Multi-Kord Pedal Steel; new lap six string steel.