Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Strouse

How 'Bout this for some hot steelin'!

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Red Skin Rag]

Guess Who?
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Jeff, that's some great vintage JB! Thanks for posting that.
What radio show was that from?
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

What a great sound. You gotta love that tone.
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Rick, you are very, very, very, very, close....in fact, sooo close that it is easy for one to think it is JB...I would make the same assumption, but actually, it is....

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Ray Montee?????
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Paul A. Bigsby?
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

It is Ray ... Image

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's Cast Steel Guitars</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

My thoughts: It's not Jerry...I think it is SKIP MONTEE ?
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Murphey !
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Yes! It is the fabulous Ray Montee on his 4 neck Bigsby! Image Image Image

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

That's what I said---------> I got them both right.

What do I win? <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 05 January 2006 at 05:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

Are you guys kiding around? Is that really Ray or what? I sure thought it was JB and recorded it, started working on it thinking " this is the coolest hick playing, I just love it". Thanks for putting it up and thanks, Ray Byrd Montee, I think? Image

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 07 January 2006 at 05:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Dang! That's gotta be the closest to JB I ever heard.
Something musta rubbed off . .
Give Bobbe his prize.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

C'mon Ray...'fes up and let's give Bobbe a gold plated pick for his prize. It's YOU on that steel even though it sounds darned close to being JB...you ain't fooling anyone ! Gads, I wish I could play like that !!! Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 07 January 2006 at 11:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stanford Lane

Post by Stanford Lane »

Hey Jegg,

I really like that recording of Red Skin Rag. I've heard that song before, but could not find tab for it. If you have the tab, would you mind passing it along?

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed by the kind words. That's one advantage an olde pharrt has........people opening doors for you; offering to carry your equipment; and saying nice things about you.
You all knew that wasn't Jerry Byrd but it was nice of you to act confused. Now, I'm trying not to look surprised over the mix-up.
Those of you who guessed the correct answer
what can I say......? Just thanks, I guess, for playing this little game. Thanks too, for the post, as it was very nice of you.
I have no tab..........just learned it by ear.....as you can do in short order, if you choose to.
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Hi Ray, thats so inspiring for a newby like me,, would you be kind enough to tell me the tuning and equipment used, I know theres a few newcomers on here would also love to know, can you remember the session, sounds all live to me, straight to mono maybe/stereo maybe. Great stuff !
Ambrose Verdibello

Post by Ambrose Verdibello »

Kevin, Until Ray gets back, it sounds like C6 out of the key of E. And who the heck was playing fiddle?!? Great performance all around...

-a
Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

Hey guys,
The tune was lifted from Jerry's, er Ray's website. There's some CD's available with Ray playing. I haven't bought a CD in over a year, but I plan to buy these two. I haven't played much steel in the last several years, but Ray's site has got me inspired again. I have a '59 Fender 400 w/ 6 pedals, and a '37 Ric B-7. I figure I've got the right tools for the sound, now to start collecting cool music to learn with.
Patrick
Ooops, forgot to include the link.... http://jerrybyrdfanclub.com/ <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Patrick Ickes on 08 January 2006 at 08:44 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Thanks EVERYONE! Your kind words are most certainly appreciated.
To answer Kevin's question: This was taken live from the Circle-8 Hoedown, KGW-TV
in Portland, Oregon, during the early 1960's. Host of the show was (the late) Heck Harper. It was my four neck BIGSBY w/six pedals; 4 x 10's Fender Bassman thro' an Echolette for reverb sounds.
If you simply go to the fourth fret on the C6th tuning and start on the forth string and right up the strings. The next chord with open strings is on the first fret with open first string and barred strings below it. SHOULD prove more than "easy" for anyone who wants to try it.
And Ambrose, the fiddle player was (the late) John Fuhrman who sadly took his own life some years back. He was an educated violinist that had played western swing for years. I saw him write out a song Spade Cooley had jotted down while flying to our area from Los Angeles. Johnny wrote it in 3-part harmony and they played it that evening at the Tillamook Country Fair, if my memory serves me right. Great crowd pleaser. Took Johnny less than 30 minutes to get it down on paper.
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Thanks Ray, that is the business buddy, Im just off to do a gig right now (Dobro-Gibson AJ) I'll be thinking of that tune till I get back, defo got yourself a new fan here !