Joe Wright

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Edited in respect for tb's apologies. He was gracious enough to send me a note as well.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 28 October 2006 at 08:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

let it go, folks.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Hey Rick, I'm having grey poop-on on my cornbread and beans while watching a Joe Wright video. I think he's about the greatest steel player there is. Also, studying his very professional made technique book while frying potatoes & onions. Good eatin' in the midwest tonight!haha

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

Ray, that sounds too good. If I wasn't so stuffed I would come right over. Debbie is going to make a carrot cake for next weeks meeting. If you have any of those video's, I would be interested in purchasing them. I love any video's that are the basic's. Wish you could have come to the Ozark meeting. They were throwing around ideas on how to run the agenda and I know you could have been a real big help on that. Hank Ruf is the new president and a real nice guy. See you next week!! I love Joe Wright.... He makes me laugh... He makes me cry... Some people just have a magic that demands your full attention and he has that magic. I noticed that a lot of folks mill around and talk while the performers play but when people like Buddy, Lloyd and Joe are on stage all that stops and they get the full attention they deserve.

------------------
Rick
Kline U-12, Nashville 112 and 1000, Hilton Volume Pedal

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 28 October 2006 at 08:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Bill, it's been taken care of. Posts edited in view of tb's gracious communication.

ray & Rick - It's possible he may BE the greatest steel player there is, but that doesn't change the quality of materials he sells. Maybe some of the newer stuff is more professionally produced and printed, but the first 4 videos and "Method" book are what I have to go on, and playing ability should not get you a free pass when it comes to pointing out perceived deficiencies in materials. I'll say again, for the 4th or 5th time, that the primary content is tremendous...it's the presentation and clarity that's lacking IMO...and it IS *my* opinion, and anyone is free to disagree with it. It's also not a personal attack - it's a product review.

The idea that great players should never be criticized for written materials or videos, or the ludicrous "let's see YOU do it" tact are simply ridiculous IMO. An amp reviewer doesn't have to be able to build one; someone commenting on United airlines doesn't have to fly the plane. And holding guys up on a pedestal of immortality and immunity does a disservice to the steel community at large.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Rick, wish I could have made it to the Branson meeting but I work Sunday nights and it would have made to long of a day. Looking forward to next Sundays meeting. I'll bring some of those first four videos of Joes that I made in Arkansas. Quality isn't the best in the world but good enough for a midwest boy like me and Joe is still the greatest player there is. Heck, I might even give Joe a call and see if he will come to the meeting! How's your Cadillac playing? I gotta get up early in the morning and head for Tulsa airport. My son that was injured in Iraq has to have an evaluation this week at Ft. Sill to see how much permanent damage was done. He'll be retiring pretty quick. My oldest son is heading for Iraq the first of January for his second tour over there. See ya next Sunday!

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

Okay Jim.... I get it. My thing is getting any material I can that is basic and I seem to do better with it. When I practice I usually just get my cheap recorder out and record a couple of tunes from some old records. I then take them to my bedroom and slow them down and usually find one or two licks that I can use from each song. This to me makes it all worth while. They are things I can incorporate into other songs when the occasion arises. I just found some treasures tonight from an old Wanda Jackson and Wynn Stewart record. I am always amazed at the things the steel players come up with in songs for leads, turnarounds and passing chord licks.

------------------
Rick
Kline U-12, Nashville 112 and 1000, Hilton Volume Pedal

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Donna, That's a real cool story! Does Austin still have that napkin? If not, I'll bet he's got those "tips" stored up in that young memory bank of his! Image
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I agree - that kind of stuff makes for tremendous memories. I have a few notes, tips, tab scrawls from various "name" players I've somehow amassed over the years, and they are cherished memories.

James, I hope you understand more about where I was coming from and that we're still friends! I'm sorry if it personally offended you somehow (BTW, I tried to shoot you a email last week and it bounced - did your address change?) - Jim
Roger Pietz

Post by Roger Pietz »

Well folks I sure learned one thing you better think real hard about things before you put any kind of negative opinion in here. Rock and roll lives thru my viens and I will take the steel to a new level. I love some of the country Amen but its time to move on. Give Jim a break I am sorry I opened up this topic. In other words kill it chill out and go on with your lives. Jim understands he has written to me and apoligized 10 times over if he had offended me. For some of you more experienced players now this is coming from a stupid beginner me Give the guy a break and chill out. Opinions are like rear ends everybody has one. Ha Ha I hope to god I did not offend anyone if I did Thetres a song by the eagles called Get Over it. Hell Frezes over CD.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

My email address is still the same, and as always, you are welcome to email me. I've been recieving some emails, but some are saying their's are bouncing back.

Jim, I knew what you ment from the gitgo. and, yes I try to be everyones friend, your's too.

There are two ways to count honey bees. you can stay back a respectful distance from the hive and start counting, or you can walk up and kick the hive over and try to count. Each of us gets to make that choice.

Jim, I hope the best for you and your family, as well as the other 6000 + forum members. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Morehead on 29 October 2006 at 09:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Roger, you do not need to apologise for nothin'. You are just fine and as welcome as anyone on this forum. And we want to hear from you on your progress. This whole thread just took a "human nature detour". We were alive before it happened, and we will all be alive tomorrow, too. (hopefully) Kinda like---"Get Over IT"! HA!! Goodone Roger! Image

Jim, wish you'd send me some more of the Sneeky Pete music you have collected over the years! I really enjoyed the sample you sent this summer to me.
James Stewart Jr

Post by James Stewart Jr »

(SIGH!!!) Wake me when this gets back on topic or better yet ends. ZZZZZzzzzz........
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

James Stewart JR., wake up, the movies over, the credits have run, and it's time to move on. Image
Duane McKay

Post by Duane McKay »

Joe is one terrific guy in our 'book'. He plays steel like no other, is funny as can be!!....and will visit with all steel-players...like you see at all the shows!
....we can't wait for him to return to
Greenwood, or anywhere close to it, he is SPECIAL!....and of course, everyone has the 'Wright' to their own opinion!
[We wonder if Joe's mother who was very ill, is still with him?] The McKays
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I can’t speak to the quality of the video production or accompanying book(s), but I have most all of Joe’s “Steeling the Country Classics” CD’s, have attended a seminar given by Joe, and have seen him play many times at Scotty’s and Lexington. In my experience, Joe stands behind his product 100%.

Bottom line is go see Joe perform and by all means attend his seminar if you have the opportunity. It’s great fun to see Joe perform when you’re with someone who has never seen him before; just to see their reaction.

------------------
HagFan

Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Joe is a super good guy and one of the best steel players I know and he's my friend. I have some of his training material and I liked it very much.enough said???
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

I have waited, and there is nothing new for me to say. I took Joe's seminar for the third time in St. Louis. ANd although he said almost nothing new, it was exactly what I needed to hear. "Slow down, learn correctly, fix poor technique and eventually you will be able to play." Joe is one of the great educators of Steel Guitar. His focus is technique. I put in between 15-30 min per day on his technical bundle material, and never run out of stuff to practice. I have improved. I am in debt to Joe.
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

...and that comment about Joe is coming from someone whom I can tell you from first hand experience is already one hell of a steel guitar player and a monster musician. Joe's material addresses mechanics and is designed to make you a better player, no matter who you are or what level you're at. I'm sure Buddy practices every day, or he wouldn't be Buddy.
Randy Weideman

Post by Randy Weideman »

When I was in Nashville last month I was invited to Joe Wright's house and also to his recording audio video studio. I was totally amazed. He not only played various instruments on his CD’s but he also has all the equipment to produce and package them.

He was showing me how he could take 6 cameras and 6 different audios and when the CD is completed, you will have the option to choose between the different audios. This will give you different sounds. The sound was tremendous. Sony doesn’t give you these possibilities.

He played me some tracks on his latest CD Leavin On A Jet Plane, again this was tremendous. I was completely amassed by his talent, music attacks, approach, his steel playing and arrangements. In my opinion “Joe Wright Is a Genius”.

I have purchased most of Joe’s material and found all the material to be fantastic. Flying home is when I got a good chance to read his book My Approach to the Steel Guitar. Before reading this book I knew he was good, but man while reading the book, it can to me that Joe Wright is a musical, musician, writer, publisher, director, and he probrobly knows more on the inside and outside of the steel guitar better than anyone I have ever met.

I am glad to know Joe Wright, and I am proud to have him as one of my friends. Joe if you ever need any thing, “You Got It Pal”

Your Steel Guitar Pal and Friend

Randy L Weideman
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

only my Brother from another Mother could get all this going! and he hasn't even posted!!!!!!!!!
and my 2 cents....
Joe is a Monster! player/showmen!!!!

so Get~R~ Done Joe!!!!!!!!!!!
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

I'm grateful for this thread because I've been meaning to get Joe's stuff, and now I will. I am "exceedingly dense" about this stuff because I have no aptitude in the areas that most forumites do--engineering, technology, electronics, physics, math etc. So if it's made for slow learners, that's what some of us need.

Some of us don't care about production values. I like Bobbe's stuff, but I wouldn't if I wanted production. I also like stuff by Herb and Herbie, and also Erv's tab, but I couldn't even tell you about production.

I don't think there's any right/wrong good/bad in this--just what works for you. And the same thing isn't going to work for everybody.

------------------
"I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back." --Henny Youngman
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Dang David, What if Joe DID make one post on this thread?!?! This would probably go to 20 pages over night!

My Daughter has decided to take up playing steel. She has zero experience with ANY stringed instrument. She's had a little keyboard. I'm helping her with Joe's Right hand techniques, and excersises. She's been at it a whole 10 days now. I'm stunned at her right hand already! I thank Joe for his organised approach, and the fact that he has broken all this down to the raw, bare mechanics of physically and mentally playing the steel guitar. I can't believe how she is fast tracking. Thanx Joe!

Wanted to say my daughter is almost 19. So there ya go, one more young person for steel guitar!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Morehead on 02 November 2006 at 06:07 PM.]</p></FONT>
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Just ordered. Thanks for all the info. It helped me decide which DVD would be right for me to get.

------------------
"I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back." --Henny Youngman
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Way to go Darryl! You won't be disappointed!