Rolling Stones tour Texas

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Holden

Rolling Stones tour Texas

Post by David Holden »

Saw the Rolling Stones last night in El Paso. Great show. At one point, on LET IT BLEED, they brought out a pedal steel that Ron Wood played maybe 1 or 2 licks on right about the time they sang this verse:

I was dreaming of a steel guitar engagement
When you drink my health in scented jasmine tea
You knifed me in my dirty filthy basement
With that jaded faded junky nurse
Oh, what pleasant company....

Anyway, the other thing that stuck out at the concert for me was when Mick Jagger sang about half of the Marty Robbins song EL PASO. It was a real crowd pleaser.

Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..so what kind of pedal steel was it?..
David Holden

Post by David Holden »

From my seats...I'd say a black one. Seriously, I was too far back to get a real good view of it. It did have like 7 foot pedals hooked up to it, although I don't think he was planning on playing too many Emmonsesque C6 runs !!!

Stones style steel is a little different from what we're used to done here in Texas, but it's all good.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Great to hear!

We get the Stones in about a month at Aloha Stm., which may end up being their very last show, as we know the Stones today at least.
Charlie wanted to quit a year ago, being quite ill with cancer, but he's hanging in there for the rest of the tour at the behest of the glimmer twins.

Aw Roit!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Ronnie Wood uses a black Emmons S-10 push-pull.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

ET or JI?
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Did Dave Matthews have any PSGs? Image

/Hehe... ET or JI.... HAHAHAH!
Arty Passes

Post by Arty Passes »

Saw them last night in Austin, and he was playing a brown D-10 Emmons. I thought it was pretty cool when they brought out a steel that looks just like mine.
Mick introduced a song they had "never played in front of anyone before and may not ever again, that I learned from Waylon Jennings" - "Bob Wills is Still the King"
Unfortunately I don't think they even practiced it - when they hit the solo, they all went in different directions, and poor Woody didn't have a chance, but he mashed away as best he could. You can't always get what you want. (sorry, couldn't resist).
It was pretty cool nonetheless, having a pedal steel sitting front and center at a Stones show.
If you have a chance to see this tour, don't miss it, but don't expect to cop any steel licks.
It was the most over the top rock show I'd ever seen - staging, lighting, pyro, video, fireworks - got my $115 worth. At one point a large section of the stage glided out the center ramp to the middle of the crowd.
And the band wasn't too shabby either. Yeah, they're old, blah, blah blah, but so am I - they rock their asses off..
Mick's in better shape than I ever dreamed of being. And Keith does his best impersonation of Johnny Depp's pirate character (or is it the other way around?)
Mick and the boys still got it.
Doesn't matter who's in Texas, (when it comes to Rock and Roll) the Stones are still the kings.....

I SAY YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, WOOOOOOO!