About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Baucum

Buzz Evans - Sleepwalk

Post by Lee Baucum »

Gary Carriger

Post by Gary Carriger »

Lee,
I had never heard Buzz play until tonight...I am now a fan. Great command of his instrument. Thanks for the link.
Gary
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

Lee thanks for the heads up on that track. Buzz is a fabulous player and hope he gets a bit more recognition.
Jerry Malvern

Post by Jerry Malvern »

I met Buzz a couple of years ago in Laughlin Nevada. Words cant describe his talent. After I saw him play, I told him I was gonna sell my guitar and he said not to, it's all about having fun. At that time, Buzz was talking about getting a new Mullen, looks like in the video he got it.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Nice...plays with great energy...nice to see someone that really seems to be enjoying himself.
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

That worked out great. After Sleepwalk it led me to more steel videos, Chalker doing Steelin the Blues and a couple of Emmons with Danny Gatton and Somewhere Over the Rainbow with Buzz. So great!!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Buzz sat in on Guitar with my band about 8 years ago and he was incredible. He's like an encyclopedia of licks and chords. He knows thousands of them! You can bet I worked hard on steel that night!

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 02 October 2006 at 11:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Richard Gonzales

Post by Richard Gonzales »

Great musician, plays with feeling and enjoys what he is doing !
Dean Rankin

Post by Dean Rankin »

Buzz is -------- SUPER !!! (and has always been ------ SUPER !!!)
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Just my opinion (what do I know???),,but I think Buzz should be right up there with the GREATS,,,Emmons, Chalker, Green etc,,,. He just hasn't been at the right place at the right time,,,,what a shame,,,what a character,,,what a talent,,,
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Ran into Buzz about three four years ago when he played Scottys show. Incredible show he put on. Buzz resides out where the day never stops. Los Wages Nv. Does a one man show as you can see, only it don't sound like one man.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Very nice! Thanks.

Russ
Ken Levesque

Post by Ken Levesque »

Thanks Lee....it was just wonderfull to see him for the first time....He's GREAT! What a musician!I enjoyed it immensely.

Ken
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

,,,,BTW,,,he also sings,,,VERY well. At the Dallas show several years ago he did several songs, one being a Merle Travis song called That Fat Gal of Mine,,,put some very good thumb picking behind it,,,,a true entertainer
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

YEAH!
Eli Hall

Post by Eli Hall »

That was Great! I've only heard Buzz once before but I will never forget it. It was in a little hotel bar in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and he was in a band backing up Thumb's Carlisle's daughter (I think) back in the late 70's. It was the dead of winter and he was amazing then and is still amazing! Thanks a bunch for posting that!
Doug Childress

Post by Doug Childress »

I've seen Buzz a couple of times in St. Louis and he was amazing!! This guy should be invited to all the major steel guitar shows. He is an incredible musician with a lot to show the steel guitar world. We need him.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I never heard of Buzz Evans before this. That is absolutely wonderful! "Over the Rainbow" is just as great. Now my personal list of greatest steel players is one longer! And his guitar playing on "Yesterday" is equally great!
It's amazing that people are walking by behind him throughout, taking no notice! Ah, the musician's life...
When I watched these, I also got a link to Phil Baugh's guitar tour de force on "Shadow of Your Smile" from Austin City Limits, which I've always loved on the "Nashville Super Pickers" album. Anyone who hasn't heard that should definitely check it out as well (search for "Phil Baugh"). Once I actually had a chance to buy a guitar with the incredibly rare Pedal Pitch device that he's using, but I couldn't afford it at the time. Aaaargh!!!!!!!

Anybody want to buy a steel or a guitar??!!!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 04 October 2006 at 08:13 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brint Hannay on 04 October 2006 at 08:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Amazing!!! Yet more inspiration for me to learn the C6 neck.

Thanks for introducing me to yet another pedal steel hero.

-- Jan

------------------
<font size="1">Janjo's home page
Gear: Fulawka D-10 8+8, Fender Deluxe 8, Alkire E-Harp, Marrs/Fluger Cat-Can, Fender CS Nocaster</font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jan Jonsson on 04 October 2006 at 08:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I met Buzz at the Dallas show a few years back. I think he's one of the smoothest steelers I've ever heard. just awesome! Six string too. Check out his version of Yesterday on six string electric. Great job Buzz!

Rick
Bobby Johnson

Post by Bobby Johnson »

I have seen Buzz 3 time's each time was somthing to see. He is so smooth. And his guitar it just as great. Hope somday to see im again. Such a talent.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bobby Johnson on 04 October 2006 at 03:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Does anyone know if Buzz is playing in or around Las Vegas?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Accolades fall short of the real picture, in making attempts to describe the musical abilities of Buzz Evans. His musical prowess exceeds any stretch of the imagination. His faultless deliveries of note patterns, will unquestionably be marveled for years to come. His entertainment on steel or Spanish 6 string is doubly rewarding, as well as his commentary between performances. Buzz is a true enforcer of the good things. He is informative, helpful, and never overlooks small details. I like that in a musician.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

And on top of all that, he's a genuinely nice guy.
Ric Epperle
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.

Post by Ric Epperle »

It's hard for me to find something else to say that hasn't been already said..

I met Buzz back in the early 80's.

A truly awesome talent and a great guy...

------------------
Image MSA D12 Vintage XL