Marlen

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Sexton

Marlen

Post by Dick Sexton »

David,

Mine, I bought used from a fellow named Jack Palmer in Newbern, NC and I've had it since, I think about 80 or so. Don't know when it was built, but it is an Oak Formica, with the thick Aluminum Neck insert. Real pretty except for the bar dings from playing out. Mechanically it is solid, triple raise, double lower, all pull. Plays a little stiff on the knees/E's. I don't mind that at all, but some might. It probably is the way I have it setup. It's not a string breaker at all. And I love the tone. Stock pickups as far as I know. Mine is the EMMONS setup with the 1/7 raise on LKR, and 2 lower on the RKR. Not much for changing things, but have noticed the newer steels are much easier to change the setups. Mine is pretty well broke in, probably need to tighten things up a bit, but I love it. Thanks for asking me about it, oh, I use it to drive my PV LTD 400, good amp to gig out with.
Dick Sexton

Post by Dick Sexton »

Oops, you can tell I'm new at this, should have be under Davids reply to my new member, sorry. I'll do better. Dick Sexton
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

No problem with the reply, I've done the same thing myself, as has just about everyone else here at some point.

Sounds like a nice Marlen.

I have one of the very first Marlens that was made. Mine is D10, 8 pedals and NO KNEES.

There are no lowers on the E9th neck, just raises. Makes for some interesting playing after being used to lowering Es. This Marlen has the old single finger changer and the mechanics are "permanant", meaning that changing changes around requires a total rebuild of the mechanics.

It's a great bit of Steel History. It has a sound quality and resonance that most new Steels simply don't have. (not trrying to start a war here)

I don't use it often, but I do take it out on special occasions and always love playing it when I do.

I'd like to be able to totally disassemble it and restore it some day. It has definately been around the block a few times.

------------------
David Collins
www.alpinesoap.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Collins on 04 October 2006 at 04:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dick Sexton

Post by Dick Sexton »

David, Like yours, mines been down the road a few times. Even followed me to Okinawa once. Plays as good as ever, even if the shine is a little worn. My first was a Charokee that Clyde Mattoks of Kinston built. It too had exceptional tone. Thanks for the info on yours. Dick Sexton
Norman Carlton

Post by Norman Carlton »

I know I have joined the forum. Got my username and password. This is the third attempt to post. If this works I will post something. If it don't I'll call someone!

------------------
Norman Carlton

Post by Norman Carlton »

Hey, it worked! Now let me tell you'll bout my 1971 Marlen D10 8/3 P/P a little worn but plays and sounds great. Got some replacement parts from Rev. Lenny Statler and now it's almost new. Birds Eye Maple with NO cigarett burns, some bar dings and I love it.

------------------
Dick Sexton

Post by Dick Sexton »

Norman,

Sounds like a great steel and sounds like your super pleased with it. Mine has always played above my abilities and sounds just the way I like it. I didn't realize there were any parts available for them though.

DS
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Marlen Steel Guitars! One of the best steel tones I've ever heard comes from Joe Turner of Carolina. Joe has a SD-12 Marlen with 5 and 5 I believe. He also has LEDs fretboard markers to help him see it in a dimly lit place which is a pretty cool idea. If you haven't heard Joe and get a chance to, don't miss it. He's a good 'un........JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Luv those Marlens! Ck mine out here: http://www.geocities.com/frsteel/
Norman Carlton

Post by Norman Carlton »

Rev. Lenny Statler, Leonard Statler's son (formaly the bassist with (early)Lynard Skynard & an original member of "Blackfoot"is a Methodist Minister and lives in Charlotte NC. I consider him a friend of mine and there are SOME Parts that will be made availabe at a future date (pending inventory). I will post the availability on this site when it's for sure. I have tried to get Lennie to resurect the Marlen Guitar Company, and I did not get an emphatic "NO WAY". Leonard left a partially finished Universal 12 on his work bench when he passed. Lenny has indicated that he just may be interested in letting me complete it for him. Time will tell!

------------------
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Norman, just to set the record straight, the name is Leonard Stadler. I am not being critical. Getting the spelling correct will help those wishing to do a search for Stadler Music Company, makers of Marlen guitars.
Leonard was, indeed, a great guy to do business with.
I own a beautiful Marlen U-12 which Leonard built. It has the all-pull,double raise/double lower system. It is pictured on my website, on the equipment page.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Norman Carlton

Post by Norman Carlton »

John you are correct on the spelling of Leonard's last name. It is indeed STADLER not STATLER! I must have had Harold on my mind. Guess I had better invest in a glass belly button. Thanks for the correction.

------------------
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

HAHAHAHAHA, Norman, I'll bet a lot of people don't know the purpose of the glass belly button. I DO ... Image
I'm considering getting a complete plexiglass belly Image .

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Frank Roger's tone is second to none. Of course his playing has a lot to do with it. And David Easley plays an old Marlen sometimes too, sounds great. And David, if you have the skills to play a country gig without the E lowers, you sure have my respect.

------------------
Howard
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Thanks Howard,

Honestly, I play mostly gospel, certainly with a country flair, but not necessarily country, with the old Marlen. I guess it goes back to my Resonator Guitar (dobro) playing, where it's all done with the bar and slants.

Have a great day Image

------------------
David Collins
www.alpinesoap.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Collins on 09 October 2006 at 04:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Dick, good to hear from you again. You'll enjoy yhe forum. Glad to hear you decided to start playing again. I was surprised to see your name on the forum. Say you still have the Marlin? I still live in New Bern, so give me a yell sometime. My number is in the book. Look forward to hearing from you. PS, I run into Bob Stone every onca in a while. Jack.