Do you regret ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I sold a 50s vintage Gibson L-7-C to buy my first PSG, which I still have. That guitar is worth a lot more today than my green MSA, but I didn't really like it or didn't play it that much, and I think I made the right choice.

I swapped a Martin D-20-12 string for my Washburn Montery, and the Martin was definately worth a lot more money, but the Washburn is actually a better guitar. No regrets there at all. The Montery is the best acoustic I've ever owned. Washburn no longer makes this guitar. I asked a sales rep why and he said they couldn't afford to any more.

The 2 instruments I regret selling were a 20's vintage Gibson A-2-Z mandolin, and an Arthur E Smith banjo. I sold them both, and replaced them both with less expensive instruments, and had enough left over to by my second steel. It made sense at the time, but I really miss both those instruments, and the mandolin is worth about $6,000 today.

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 04 October 2006 at 03:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

1976 Les Paul Custom. I only had $300 in it and now its worth almost 10 times that much. But if I had it now, I'd never sell it.
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I had a Aria 6 string I got when in the Navy in '69. Sweetest guitar I ever played. In about '78 while singing in a family Gospel group, our trailer came loose from our bus and was hit by a car. Demolished my Aria. Only other Aria I know of is my brother's 12 string that he got the same time I got my 6 string.
Charley
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

just too damn many to list....
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I can look back on my instrument sales and swaps as necessary to afford the next cool toy.
About the only real regret I have is allowing myself to be bullied into picking up a way-too-huge road case some years back.
I'm still paying for that one.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Yes, I sold a guy my old Session 400 years ago and still trying to buy it back. That one I kick myself for.

Terry Wood
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I've regretted selling everything I've ever sold.... with the sole exception of a Maverick....
Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

No regrets. If we only had a crystal ball! I refuse to generate a list because I would be in line for the butter knife!
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I regret ever trading off my old '78 Fender-Sho-Bud S-10. It sounded like CRAP for a Steel Guitar but played like a dream. That's a guitar I wish now I had put under the bed. Nick
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

regret selling my 1968 emmons p/p d-10
8+4 . my emmons lagrand d-10 short key head
my first d-10 bought in milwaukee music store m.s.a d-10 vintage xl black for
$500. and my 1988 evans amp . boy, i whish i had that stuff back. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Paul Wade on 04 October 2006 at 02:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Two things come to mind. Years ago a friend sold me his Les Paul that only about two years old. It was the 25th aniversery addition, gold plated, practically gave it to me. Several months later there was a recorder that I wanted, so I sold it for a little more than what I paid for it. I took the difference and gave it to my friend. I wish I had never sold it.
Another time in the late 70's I bought a fender mustang and princeton reverb amp for $200 from an ad in the paper. I can't remember what happened to the mustang but I pawned the amp for $100 a few years later. This was an all tube amp and it sounded great for low level playing. I've noticed they go for high dollar amounts on ebay. Wish I still had it.
But looking back, I've made more good deals than bad.

Ken
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I GAVE away a blackface Super Reverb in 1969! I was mad because I couldn't get it to distort enough! Also, I was so ignorant at the time that, when it blew a fuse, I didn't know it just needed new power tubes. The guy I gave it to lost it when his house burned down a year later.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I have way too many guitars now (I never thought I'd ever be in that position.) and I really feel I ought to sell of them off, but I'm afraid to let any of them go.

besides, every time I pick one of them up I think "I can't sell this, it's way too nice to part with."

Oh the humanity.....

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Amen, Mike!!!
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I still have a 1976 Minimoog that I think I'd very much regret selling. Even though I never use it. I did power it up a couple years ago and it still worked fine.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

My life has been full of mistakes like you guys...if I'd kept that stuff..I could have a music shop today..well, it seems like it
anyway.
Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones »

I lost due to theft my 1971 Emmons push/pull serial #1467. I parked my car on Broadway here in Nashville after I worked the Opry, left the guitar in the back seat and came back it was gone. Image
Came off the road and found my ex wife and all my furniture gone along with my Fender 1966 Jazz bass.
Dam I miss that bass. Image
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I was leaving to cut my session in Nashville around '79 or '80 and I made the mistake of packing the night before all the stuff I was takeing into my Van. I decided to go out that night to a local bar and just relax. Well when I went to go home my Van was gone. In it was my D-41 Martin and a Peavey Vintage. When they recovered the Van the next morning the Custom Wheels were gone and it was left stradling two logs. The Guitar was gone along with the Amp and they left the hard case so I am assuming they did not know what they had. Any hoo the Insurance did not replace the Guitaer or Amp and I wound up thanks to Dick Curless and Charley Kaman getting Ovation Guitars. I still miss that ireplaceable Martin. As far as I am concerned that was the best Guitar I ever had.Now they are around 3500-4000.00 and worth every penny.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Since we're talking now about stuff getting ripped off, my car was broken into awhile back. They took a rack case with a delay/rev unit...no great loss, and thank goodness I had the presense of mind not to leave my steel in the car...and they passed on my Session 500 - probably because it was too heavy too run off with - but... they snagged my pack-a-seat. Man, what a pain that was. It was full of everything I needed to play, and of course, everything in it was of no value to anybody else.
What a drag that was.. . I discovered it was gone on my way to a gig, and had to jump thru a few hoops to replace everything in a rush. I think it would've been less hassle if they had just taken my steel, instead.
Dick Rivera

Post by Dick Rivera »

I sold my 2005 Carter because if lack of time. The fellow that purchased it offered to sell it back for the same reason. It took .5 seconds to say yes. What was I thinking. I just had to get my mind right. I'll play an hour a day and hope for the best. Love playing, Dick