Do you regret ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Murdoch

Do you regret ?

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Do you regret selling or losing gear or equipment?
I have, over the years had many amps,effects and the like.
I regret selling my Peavey Vegas amp
I regret losing my Peavey delay pedal.
I am very happy at the moment with my Zum D10,Nash 112,SGBB,Hilton vol pedal,Pod XT and John Hughey Bar.None of these items will be moving on.
best regards to all
Billy
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Billy, I strongly regret selling my old ShoBud S-12 when I got my current BMI. My old bud had 5 knee levers and 4 on the floor plus an Emmons pickup. At one time I had it up to 8 on the floor and 7 knee levers but took stuff off as time went by to make a simpler copedant. I sold it about 15 or 16 years ago to a guy who's still playing it! The worst thing of all is I let it go for only $250........That's bad!........JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

A. Roncetti

Post by A. Roncetti »

I miss my Les Paul Standard. That guitar was a beaut.

------------------
Purple Fessenden SD-10 4X5
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I miss my 61 Gretsch PX6120 Chet Atkins guitar. I got a lot of $$ when I sold it but I should have kept it. I bought it new in 61 and sold it in 85.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

I miss my 59 Les Paul, Super 400, 2 L5's, L4, L7, 175, the big Epi with the blender buttons, Hoffner Beatle Bass, my full size stand up with the C extention, and my S10 ShoBud Professional. Oh yeah...all my Fender, Ampeg, and Vox amps.

All gone because of my decision to play music for a living.

"Too soon old, und too late schmart"

ugh

Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

There are times when I wish I still had my Emmons S-12 p/p, just for the way it sounded. Also my 60 watt Mesa/Boogie Mark IIB, the best rock amp ever IMHO.

Heavy equipment, but they both sounded fantastic.
Michael Barone

Post by Michael Barone »

I bought a B-3 & 122 Leslie in 1972. Played in a trio mostly. Sold both in 1985. Had to use analog synths. Not the same, but easier for gigs, from 400+lbs to 40lbs.

Typical of analog electronics, each and every B-3 manufactured from about 1939 to 1975 had it’s own unique tonal characteristic (IMO), even though the design never changed. My 1963 model had a little more drawbar hiss than most, and a strong upper manual. I put a lot into it. I rewired the factory presets and bass pedal tone source. Added Fischer Space-Expander Reverb. Replaced the 40W amp with 90W Dynaco, horn driver, and 15" in the Leslie. It was a nice setup.

I have some regrets, but I only own two S10s. Priorities have changed. Soon I may be ready for an S12.

Mike
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

In recent times I most regret selling my '67 Emmons push pull, rosewood with one or two misdrilled holes right against the back of the C6th neck up around the 17th or so fret. I have tried to track it down but no luck. It is serial number 1124, 25, 26 or 28. I don't remember exactly. 1127 belongs to Larry Sasser and that is not it. Does anyone know where it is?
Jerry
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Woof! Is there anyone who doesn't!
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

I sold a brown Fender pro with a 15" speaker for $125, so I could buy a PV Bandit! Never liked the Pro for guitar, but it would have been a cool steel amp. Also had a solid body Ric. 12 string that sounded terrific, got $175 for that one! Had a really nice 1980 Strat that got stolen, along with an original FuzzFace, Dyna comp and Crybaby, and the Bandit I bought with the money from the Pro! Love it ! JP
Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Post by Jim Gorrie »

Back around 2000, after a lengthy stagnant period I did it ~ I sold my steel.
It was now gone out of my life -- no longer would I be plagued by all those missed notes, wrong chords etc !
I was free. Probably for about a year or so I didn't regret it ~ I was busy with other pursuits.
Then the regret started creeping in ~ to the extent that it began over-shadowing my memory of all the crap sounds I used to make ! Funny how the "body" forgets pain !
I've since rectified the situation and am again back to the crap sounds, the missed notes, the wrong chords et al . . .

Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

How long have you been playing Jazz, Jim?
Mark Williamson

Post by Mark Williamson »

In 1978 I bought a brand new green LDG at McCarty Music in Wichita Falls, Texas for $850.00. Just as you could sort of identify the song I was trying to play, disaster struck! I sold the LDG for $875 to raise money to get married! I made $25 on the deal. It would appear that the same guitar has appreciated signficiantly since 1979. Oh well, I still have the wife and she has a good job AND she can cook pretty good. So I guess it was a decent trade!!! I have not owned a PSG since!
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I miss the 67 Strat I sold in 1969 when I got my 69 Les Paul Custom which I still have after 37 years.

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Post by Jim Gorrie »

Tony S. ~ all those missed notes,wrong chords, crap sounds ain't jazz -- they're ME !

(maybe missed notes, wrong chords, crap sounds ARE jazz ~ but it ain't jazz I'm trying to play Image )

Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Guild D 66 Indian dred, the only one I've ever seen with a rosewood board, and I swear it made a difference.

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoenix

Les Green

Post by Les Green »

1958 while in the service, I bought an absolutely mint Gretsch Country Club for $200 from a fellow GI. About 9 months later when I shipped out I GAVE it away! I'm still wondering what made me do that...........
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Sold this Country Gentleman for $500 to buy a Triumph motorcycle in about 1970. :-(

C#
www.calsharp.com <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 01 October 2006 at 06:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Sold:

'67 Gretsch Tennesseean for $250
'64 Vibroverb for $200
'56 Super for $150
'68 ES1275 traded for a Fostex 4-track

Do you want me to go on? I'd really rather slit my wrists with a rusty butter knife now if it's OK with you....
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Wow. Things I miss...

My Fender 4 pedal...had to sell it in 64 to pay Uncle Sam his due.

My 59 Les Paul goldtop...Like a dummy I traded it off.

My 63 Fender Jazzmaster...Like a dummy I traded it off.

My Gibson melody maker...A cheap old guitar but had sustain up the ying yang.

My 57 chev convertable...Wait. How did that get in here?

My 68 Tele...Traded it off.

My 70's Les Paul Goldtop...Gave it to my son for a wedding present, so I can still visit it.

My Hammond D-2 organ.

I finally got smart and just keep everything.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Good Lord, please don't get me going or I'll have to borrow Jim's rusty butter knife.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Somebody said, "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most."

------------------
"If you would obey God, you must disobey yourself." --Father Mapple
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

A 1964/65 Gibson SG Standard (small pickguard) with dual humbuckers. Bought new. Sold around 1970 for I think $300. Now probably worth $5,000 - $7,500. I still have my Sho-bud Professional bought new in 1970 for $1000. Probably now worth around $1500. I'm an idiot.

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
Perry Keeter

Post by Perry Keeter »

My '70 Red Fender Coronado II and '69 Super Reverb.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I traded a black faced Fender Super Reverb for a like new Session 400. The Super Reverb was like new too! I tried to sell it in the Traders Post but didn't get a single call! I traded an old Tweed Fender Deluxe for a classical guitar in the 70's. I bought another one in the 80's for $30 and traded it for a new Peavey Special 130. I needed the Peavey more than I needed the Fender at the time. Pete Mitchell has that amp now. I sold my 57 Chevy two door post in 72 for $100! As for guitars it had to be my 72 Rosewood Emmons serial number 1606. It's black mica now somewhere out there.