How many steelers play hollow body guitars?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

How many steelers play hollow body guitars?

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I love my Tele and Strat and LP, but…..

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

(Hmmmm - no pics of the dobros on the web...have to load some.) And yes, the Trussart metal-bodied Steel DeVille is hollow....

Can't play them much anymore because of hand problems, but even a few minutes is fun....I know two of them aren't "guitars", but they're too much fun not to post pics of<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 01 October 2006 at 07:57 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 02 October 2006 at 05:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I've got an Ibanez AM73 (like a slightly smaller ES335) that I use as my jazz/backup guitar. I've always been a fender man though.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

My Emmons p/p is hollow. But it's full of metal junk. Would it sound better if I cleaned it out? Image Image

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Hybrid Zum coming soon, Peavey Nashville 1000

Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Seriously, I play these. An -83 Daion Headhunter (much better than an ES 335), a self-built flame maple Strat-sized hollowbody and a weird old German thing that sounds rather good.

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, ca '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, Hybrid Zum coming soon, Peavey Nashville 1000

Pete Young

Post by Pete Young »

Hey Jim Where is a pic of the BANJO LOL
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Mike was instrumental in my getting this guitar. It's sooo green but I like the color. I hardly play it for fear of scratching it up.

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Ken's green guitar was the last unsold original Raven RM 680 in stock after the company folded. Most of them were blond with laminated spruce tops like the one pictures in my original post, but they made a few mample ones in blue, green, and a purple to blue sumburst like the one I have that's a different model.

The guitars are being reissued by Ravenwest, but only in the blond version. Ken's guitar is now something of a rare bird.

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 02 October 2006 at 09:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Hi Mike, I have owned five different Gibson
L-5's, two Gibson 175's, one Gibson Super 400, and a spate of other hollowbody guitars
over the last thirty years. Ironically I now play a 1978 sunburst Gibson L5s which is the solidbody version of Gibson's L-5.
It is the best guitar I ever owned and is the only six string I own. regards, Mike
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Shefrin on 02 October 2006 at 06:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I don't consider myself a Tele player, although I own 3. Don't consider myself a hollow-body player, although I have a Gibson ES-175, and a Gretsch 6122. I'm not a Les Paul, Martin, etc., PLAYER---Unless that type, or brand, of guitar is what's around my neck at the time. Any of you guys play the sackbut, or timbrel???
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Gibson Byrdland and soon to be a Gretsch 6128 PVT ower jet owner.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Pete, the banjos are gone.

But I forgot the ukes!
Delvin Morgan

Post by Delvin Morgan »

Mike,
Mighty fine Gretsch there, I had a 6117 in my earlier playing days ( mid 70's ). Sure wish I had kept it. Now I have a Fender acoustic/elec and a Martin D-18 acoustic.

------------------
Williams S-12,Nashville-112,Peavey Pro-Fex II,5 guitars and a banjo

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 02 October 2006 at 06:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I love those hollow body jazz guitars, and semi-hollow body ES335 types. I have several in my collection, here are some of my favorites.

This is my latest acquisition, a handmade Cushman.

This is probably my favorite, an early '80s Gibson ES175, in rare white color, it plays and sounds great.

And another one, a blue Heritage H575.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I guess I can't forget these as well.

Yahama acoustic/electric.
Yahama gut string.
My near 50 year old Morris. (can you tell?)
The guitorgan.

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

A Guitorgan, man I haven't seen one of those in ages. I used to go to The Guitar House in Tulsa when I was a kid and watch Autry Rutledge play the fire out of one of those.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dennis Casey

Post by Dennis Casey »

I have a fine old Takamine Dreadnaught that booms!
But my all time favorite (go to my grave with it) is my MIM 69 Thinline Tele. Made of 1/4 inch Mahogany with one F-hole. Caramel color natural finish, maple "skunk stripe" neck with Fender "NO Noise" pickups. Everyone asks "how do you get that sound/tone out of that tele"?
I tell them, It's not me, it's my "MEXICASTER" He HE. It's hard to explain but it has a unique kind of ring to it that is like nothing else I've ever heard. And the quality, fit and finish is as good or better than any other Fender I have ever played. A REAL KEEPER!

------------------
Dennis Casey, Custom ZUM SD-10 4X6,NV112, Profex II,69 Thinline Tele RI, In the "Woodshed"

James Lombard

Post by James Lombard »

I have a Martin D-28, two vintage dobros,and a Gretsch 6120 DSV with dynasonic single coils that'll let you board the Mystery train any old time.
Andrew Kilinski

Post by Andrew Kilinski »

Wish I still had a strat, but i love my heritage.

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andrew Kilinski on 04 October 2006 at 06:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I don't have pictures of my 8 string Dobro or my beautiful blone '84 "Made in Nashville" Gibson 335 DOT... but I do love 'em Image

Don't tell my Carter you saw this Image

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; NV 112; Fender Twin Custom 15 ('65 reissue); Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com