audience compliments on the Steel...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Prior

audience compliments on the Steel...

Post by Tony Prior »

heck, maybe things are changing..Last week a gal comes up at the end of the show and says..

You guys are great and I LOVE the Steel !

Last night the club owner and a few of his pals were hanging out on my side of the stage groovin' to the Steel...when we were done one of the guys groovin says.."you guys got a good band and the STEEL really brings it up a notch..!"...

how about them apples...

So I guess some folks are listening afterall...and I didn't even have to tell them it was NOT a Sewing machine....

theres hope for us yet..another 40 or 50 years and we may just make a difference !

t
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

Way to go. Same thing happened to me last Saturday night. Now they know what a steel is.

------------------
Carter D12, MSA D12, MSA S12, 1956 Rickenbacker D8, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thank you Robert.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I get that often,even tho some times they don't have a clue what it is,they say that THING sure sounds pretty.
Doyle Mitchell

Post by Doyle Mitchell »

Dang Tony, now that I know some people are really listening, I should go practice and try to play better, had a guy walk up the other night and ask "what is that contrapsion you are playing called" I said its a stringed keyboard, I try to make it sound like a steel guitar when ever possible!! Thats why I love steel shows, all the people there love the instrument and respect those who can play them.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Doyle, I didn't say I actually played better, just that they liked the Steel Image

and yes to some degree..

thank you Robert, although the two places I mentioned , I doubt they know who Robert is...

they barely know who I am and I play there every month !

t
Bernie Straub

Post by Bernie Straub »

Saturday night a guy passed near the bandstand on the way to the men's room and took the time to say, to me personally, "you definately don't suck!" I considered that a complment!

------------------
Bernie Straub
Fessenden D-10
Peavy NV 1000

Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I get "Love that slide guitar!" a lot. sigh.

"I don't care what anyone says, you guys are good!"
Mat Rhodes

Post by Mat Rhodes »

Don't feel bad, Doyle. I once had a guy (Stubbs BBQ in Austin of all places) who was apparently new to Texas culture and English call it a "xylophone". Out of self-preservation, I didn't correct him because he had his "homies" with him.

Sometimes "Dude, you suck" is a compliment as long it comes from a friend or acquaintance.
Merle Record

Post by Merle Record »

A while back a lady that likes my playing told me that during one of my steel solos she blurted out " Oh play that steel, Merle!"
Her daughter quickly turned to her and asked "what's a steelmerle?"
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

The women have loved steel guitar ever sence it was invented. Just ask my OLd lady.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Tony,
I forgot to say, you sounded O.K. too, and I dibn't even hear the band.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

My favorites: "Boy, you sure are tearin' it up on that keyboard" and "What is that thing, a sit-tar or something?"
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Some times it's the instrument not the player.If you play the steel IN TUNE it WILL sound good.My playing I think sucks but I try hard to play in tune and get a lot of good feedback.A mediocre steel player in a band[if he plays in tune] is a thousand times better than the band with NO steel player.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Well Tony, your band is great, and you are a very good steel player. I can see why you got the complement.
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Once had a man ask ... "how do you know when you get good on one of those things?" Image
Ted Solesky

Post by Ted Solesky »

Buck, that's a new one 'when do you know when you get good'? I guess, when they stop throwing stuff at you. The usual one I get is, 'is that hard to play?' I take the opportunity to promote the steel by telling them that the main thing is is to put in the time and have the sincere desire to get it right. This may be a different topic, but it felt nice to get compliments from the band members. You know that your efforts are being heard. I assume that you all get this and enjoy it.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Buck, that's priceless!!
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I learned from Lynn Owsley this week that it's ok to say I play at an "elementary level" than to say I play like a "clueless newbie"... (Thanks again Bobbe Image )
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

That's my favorite instrument! What is it?
I always say, "It's a steel guitar". I never bother saying, "pedal steel guitar". Sometimes people ask, "Is that a steel pedal guitar?" I say yes. Being involved in something so obscure is part of the fun of playing steel pedal.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

WOW what a great question..

"how do you know when you get good on one of those things?"

well here's a few thoughts I have..

you still own it after the payments are done..

you're still married, even if it is #2 or #3

Your Neighbors still wave to you

your Pets still come back IN the house

Bobbe Seymour WILL fill your order for new strings

just to name a quick few...
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I sent a video of me playing to one of my few surviving aunts, a couple of years ago, and she remarked, "Charles that sounded good; what is it, a violin"?
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I love the forum because many of the posts bring back times (good and bad) I had forgotten.

Years ago,I was standing out in front of a club taking a break and this drunk comes outside and blurts out "great band,the guitar player sounds just like a steel".

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

While I was packing up after a gig, a lady approached me, smiled and said "That instrument you were playing sounds so pretty, it just breaks my heart".

I didn't push it, in case it had been my playing that was breaking her heart... <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Emmett Roch on 26 August 2006 at 08:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

I was playing a gig one time and a guy came up to the band stand. Said he loved the steel and that he was a piano player from Nashville. I thanked him and asked if he would like to sit in with the band. He said he better not because our piano keys may not be tuned to play the same notes as his piano.