Dating Oahu acoustic lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

Dating Oahu acoustic lap steel

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Hi folks,

I just strung my 30s Oahu with Asher acoustic Hawaiian strings - it sounds great!

The guitar was definitely well worth its $81. One could wish for more definition on the lowest string, but overall it has a great tone!

Anyway, I'm a bit curious of the age of this guitar. It has a square headstock, which someone stated indicates that it's from the 1930s, as opposed to the rounded headstock of the 40s models. The aluminium bridge has got "PATENT PENDING" written on it (well, it's cast with the text on it), and I've noticed other presumably 30s Oahus with a patent number on an otherwise identical aluminium bridge. So I guess my Oahu is from the early 1930s. Can anyone out there confirm this, or help me pin-point the guitar's age more precisely?

[I wanted to insert a pic of the guitar here - can someone please tell me how to insert a picture that is not online, but just on my PC?]

D Schubert - I've decided to get myself a Rare Earth humbucker for this guitar for my birthday next year! Image

Have a great Christmas everyone! This is my first Christmas since picking up lap steel, and my National New Yorker and Micro Cube are coming along for the family Christmas carols! Image

Fred.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 19 December 2005 at 04:28 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 19 December 2005 at 04:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hi Fred, I'm curious to see your guitar. Email me the pic and I'll post it for ya. It has to be uploaded to your internet server first, no other way.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Here's a pic of Fred's Oahu
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hey Fred mine looks like yours.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks for helping out with the pic Andy! Did you modify the tuners on yours? It looks quite handy - some of the tuners on mine take the strength of an ox to turn at times.

Fred.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Nope, the tuners were just as you see them when I got the guitar. I got it for next to nothing and had to brace it up some and reglue it to keep the top from comin apart but it seems to be holdin up ok. It's got a nice sweet tone tuned to C6.
Ed Gerhard

Post by Ed Gerhard »

Wow, I used to have two of those, a roundneck and a squareneck. Still have the roundneck and it is only useful for slide but it sounds like nothing else. I used both guitars on my "House of Guitars" album. Love those old funky ones, hope you're loving yours.
Cheers,
Ed