best guitar for a beginner

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Pietz

best guitar for a beginner

Post by Roger Pietz »

I have a question on the advice of a friend I had this Williams S-10 made for me by Bill Rudolph. I am a beginner as many of you have gathered from my previous posts. The question is Did I make a good choice in gettin g this make of guitar. Any suggestions on what is good for a beginner that will produce good sounds and keep its value if you want to trade or sell for something better? I just want to make sure I got the right steel for me. I guess I should have put the question out there before I got this made back in April of this year ,but not knowing anythjing about steel guitars I went with one of my friends from Idaho suggested. He plays professionally every weekend. I onthe other hand do this for my enjoyment once I can find that happy medium. Any suggestions would be appreciated please do not mention a Carter . I will gladly get rid of this if necessary and get something else. I have the Williams S-10 and habe a Nashville 112. <y guitar sounds kind of too much treble.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Roger, I have played Williams guitars for over 20 years professionally and semi pro. They are as well built as any guitar out there and can get the same sound as any other, for what it's worth. Don't trade it off. It has the sound. You just have to learn how to extract the sound from the guitar. I don't want to discourage you, but this takes years of practice unless you are a prodigy. Hope this helps. Jim Bob
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

You got the right one !!! Keep it !
My friend Del Morgan got a Williams this year, plays it through a 112 and that thing has the best tone ! It is GREAT ! Ed
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

What makes you think there would be a better guitar than a brand new Williams? What exactly should be better? What's your problem with Carter?

If the guitar is set up correctly the only thing you need to produce good sounds is - dedication.
Bobby Johnson

Post by Bobby Johnson »

Rodger, I too have played a Williams, it was a D-10 Keyless and was really a nice guitar. These guys are right you just have to get the right sound out of it for you. And i probly am gonna get another, Been pondering it for a while now. But i just like my P/P to much. Keep it. And give it a chance. And i to wonder whats up with Carter. Good luck

Bobby Johnson
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

How many knee levers does it have?

------------------
Warning: I have a Telecaster and I'm not afraid to use it.
-----------
My web site

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Good choice but I too am wondering whats up with the Carter comment ?

Why would you make that comment ?

I certainly would not judge an entire brand of Instrument based on one or two early stage beginners comments made on this forum.

One side of a story does not make a complete book.

there are plenty of us playing and enjoying Carter Steels, I am one of them.

Most of the threads that had questions about Student guitars had responses that compared a PRO Guitar to a Student Guitar, the simple fact is that every manufacturer's student Guitar does not compare to even there own PRO Guitars.

I have 4 students that come by often who own student Steels, the one with the Carter Starter has the best chance of going forward, he has the best Steel of all of them.

regardless, the Williams Steels are fine, Good Luck..
t

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

Roger;

You have to start somewhere and you didn't go wrong. Later on you will probably stay with that guitar because you will like it a lot.

Other threads suggest that learning on a non-pedal enforces which strings do what and make for a better learning experience.

I have only owned one steel at a time and they were/are in order a Sho-Bud D-10 8x4, Mullen 8x5 ( wish I didn't have to sell that one ), and my present Carter S-12 7x5.

Sherman
Pete Young

Post by Pete Young »

When I was at the conv. three years ago I looked at the Williams Guitar and it was a fine looking guitar. I don't see why there would be anything to worry about. I build my own guitars so I look for little things that I want on a guitar. As for sound you can take Buddy or Lloyd or any great steeler, sit him at your guitar, and he will have his sound Maybe tweak the amp a bit but its his sound Its all in the hands and how you pick. Most guitars today are very good and well made
Pete Young
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Roger, the answer is yes you made a good choice. The Williams is a good guitar. Unless you have a very discriminating ear and a very particular preference for tone within a brand of guitar,all of the major brands today are good for a beginner. It comes down to personal preference. Its all what YOU like. Some like Fords, others like Chevys. There are tonal difference in different brands of guitars. Its up to you.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I'm guessing the Carter Comment was a reference to the Carter Starter as compared to a pro guitar.

------------------
-----------
My web site

Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

You would be best served if you learn to play enough to make your own decision as to whether or not you bought the right guitar.

As for the Carter company, their instruments are designed by Bud Carter who is a remarkable mind in the world of pedal guitars. They make pro as well as an entry level instruments.

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I've heard nothing but good comments about Williams instruments...same with Carter pro-quality guitars. I think my GFI is better-built and better sounding than anything I've tried (and that's a lot of guitars) and it's very light, which is an advantage. But if I were you I'd stick with the Williams until you get your feet wet a bit - it won't hold you back at all unless it has problems of some sort.

Amp-wise I have other opinions, but I'll save that subject for now. It kind of depends on what you want to play.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

I've been playing 30 years, and I'd love to have a Williams or a Carter.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I've said this before. At this point in time, EVERYBODY makes fine steels. There are NO bad ones on the market. Different brands have different characteristics, and you might prefer one over another, but you really can't go wrong no matter what you buy.

The only issue is the number of pedals and knee levers. If you have 3 pedals and 4 knee levers, you've got what you need.

------------------
-----------
My web site