who who who

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sidney Ralph Penton

who who who

Post by Sidney Ralph Penton »

i was sitting here this morning listening to the everly brothers. the cover of the cd says the everly brothers live, goldenlegends. i noticed there is a lot of steel on this alblum anyone have any idea of who was playing that psg on this cd. thanks doc

------------------
zum SD10 peavy session 400 peavy XR600G
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Sidney

I wonder when it was recorded. Does it say? I'm not aware of any official release of a 'live' Everly performance since their 1970 album for Warners. There was no steel on that, I do know!

Buddy Emmons played with the boys from the late 1980s to 2001, and it would be amazing if the CD you have is from that period.

Can you tell me where you bought it?

Thanks,

RR<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 19 September 2006 at 04:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Here's a link to the CD he's talking about... I think. Is this the one Sidney?
http://www.rhapsody.com/theeverlybrothers/goldenlegendstheeverlybrotherslive

dBurr
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

If the cover picture is anything to go by, that's the mid-1960s! The running-order of the show doesn't seem anything like the more-recent Everly shows either.

The show with Buddy and Albert Lee almost invariably began with 'Green River' - what a great steel intro that one has!!!

A recording of Don and Phil from the '90s would be a must for any collector of Buddy's work. Albert says that he's unaware of any tape of their show, however.

Image Image Image

RR
Steve Alonzo Walker

Post by Steve Alonzo Walker »

I just listened to it and there is a Steel player in the background but it ain't Emmons.
Tony Harris

Post by Tony Harris »

Hi Roger! How about the Reunion Concert at the Albert Hall (1983?), later released in a slightly longer version - The Complete Reunion Concert. Think this was hailed as the first 'live' digital pop recording. I don't have the CD in front of me but I'm sure Albert Lee's on there, with an all-Brit band including Martin Jenner on second guitar and left-handed steel!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Tony

Of course you're quite right... I actually watched a rehearsal for that concert (at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Rd); I was skulking in the shadows of the darkened stalls along with Dave Edmunds and Gerry Hogan hardly daring to believe that Don and Phil had 'buried the hatchet' and would play again.

Mark Griffiths (bass), Pete Wingfield (piano), the late Graham Jarvis (drums), Albert and Mart Jenner. Apart from Albert, the whole outfit had been recruited for the occasion from Cliff Richard's band. I imagine that was in the wake of Phil's hit single duet with Cliff, 'She Means Nothing To Me'.

There is steel, as you say, but Martin's playing was, as he hastened to admit, in its early stages.

I wonder if anyone will ever admit to making a 'pirate' recording of The Everlys with Buddy E.?

RR
Walter Haynes

Post by Walter Haynes »

I made a lot of records with the Everly's in the 50's I can't remember what lable they were on! I know they had a lot hits. I wish I kept a record of the the folks I recorded with , somewhere around 2500 sessions in the 50's-----
Walter Haynes
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Hi, Walter

The archive information that I have says that the sessions you played on for the boys were for Warner Brothers. Jimmy Day was also featured around the same time.

One of these days I'll go through it and see who played on what and let you know.

You did some great work on their 'Both Sides Of An Evening' album!

RR
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I saw them in Calgary summer of 72, and only dimly remember a steel player (this was before I took up the instrument). Commander Cody opened for them - would have been Bobby Black with him. And opening for them was a Canadian folkie named Murray McCloughlin, who wrote a book a few years back and in it mentioned that Rusty Young was with the Everlys on that tour. Does anyone remember Rusty touring with them?
Sidney Ralph Penton

Post by Sidney Ralph Penton »

dave burr has the right alblum. thats it. i looked all over the paper work and no place does it give credits to who played what. but its a dynomite back to yesteryear. thanks doc

------------------
zum SD10 peavy session 400 peavy XR600G
if its not a zum steel it isn't real
just trying to steel for the Lord>