Kelly Willis - steel?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Young

Kelly Willis - steel?

Post by Rich Young »

Does anyone know if Kelly Willis has a steel player in her band? I have a chance to see her for free, but it is a choice between her and the Derailers (also for free, it is a work thing). The Derailers are not going to be nearly as close, though. I've seen the Derailers before, they are great. Never seen her.
Just wondering
Thanks
Chris House

Post by Chris House »

Rich - I don't know if she is travelling with a steel player, but I saw her in town here a few years ago. Great show, great artist. After the show, she came up to the bar next to me to order a drink, I said hello to her, nice show, etc. She ended up coming over to our table and sitting with us for an hour or so. She was asking about the music scene around town and and asked if we were musicians. She asked the name of the band, and when I told her, she actually knew of us, apparently one of our records was in the charts the same time as one of hers, and we had been criss-crossing each other on tour. Anyway - what I'm getting at is she puts on a great show, she's very approachable to talk to, and she's got some great stories.

- "When deciding between two evils, I like to choose the one I've never tried before"
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Big George Edwards played steel for Kitty for about 25 years or so. George had some health problems and I don't know if he's playing yet or not. Smiley Roberts might know. George is a great player and a super guy.
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

Kelly Willis - http://www.kellywillis.com/
She is from around the Austin area, somewhere. She is married to Bruce Robison. I've heard her on the radio and liked what I heard.

Here is why I am asking the question. The place I work at in Austin is giving free lunchtime concerts in Sept. On the same day, at the location near me, is Kelly Willis, and at a location about 10 miles away is going to be the Derailers. I would love to go to them both, but that ain't gonna happen. So I gotta sneak out to one. I've seen the Derailers a couple times around town, when they had the old lineup and really liked them. I listened to their new stuff on their website, and really like that too.

Either way, it will be fun, but since I don't get out much anymore, would love to see a good steel player live again. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rich Young on 18 August 2006 at 07:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

OOPS**** I need to adjust my glasses. I thought I read Kitty Wells and not Kelly Willis. I not really crazy, I just think faster than I can read. Sorry for the irrelevant reply. Next time I'll read more carefully.