Old Hee Haw reruns

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Henry Matthews

Old Hee Haw reruns

Post by Henry Matthews »

Been watching alot of the old Hee Haw shows on cable and just wandering who some of the Steelers are in the Hee Haw band. I see alot of Russ Hicks, even before the mustache but Russ was playing rhythm on one show and the Steel player had black, maybe curley hair and wore big glasses. Didn't recognize him.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Sounds like Curly Chalker to me. Curly played on HEE HAW for several years.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

You probably saw the late, great Harold Lee "Curly" Chalker.

Lee, from South Texas
Mike Hoover

Post by Mike Hoover »

Wish I had been home, would have canned a few of those, also saw Russ playing bass on one show. Sure did enjoy the pure country corn. I doubt if there could ever be a show series as good as that again.

Mike<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Hoover on 01 August 2006 at 07:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

Mike,,,your right,dont think we'll ever see a music series like that again,,I must have watched every one that came on,,and enjoyed every one of them,,some of the steelers i reconized was,,Curly Chaulker,,,John Hughy,(with Ole Conway)Russ Hicks,some of the others i didn't reconize,,and I reconized "Leon Rhodes" on lead,,he alway's sit close to Curly...
Tom Harris
Jr ?,,,yes grandpa,,,how'ed yo corn turn out this year?,,mmmmmmmmmm,,,bout 3 gallons to the acre.......
Mat Rhodes

Post by Mat Rhodes »

Did Roy Clark play steel, too? It seemed he could play just about any instrument you put in front of him.

Matt
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

After watching some of these, I realized why I stopped watching Hee Haw. The cast singing "Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer," the stupid animated donkeys and pigs, comedians who were not funny, were not worth the wait to hear (and see) three or four good tunes. I enjoy seeing Russ, Curley, and the REAL old shows, where the Buckaroos were the house band, but in watching the reruns, I can understand the show's cancellation.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Sonny Curtis with George,and Tammy. Image
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

<SMALL>I can understand the show's cancellation</SMALL>
It was on the air for 23 years, then in reruns for years after that. It was the longest running TV show in history, till this year when Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune passed it.
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Matt, I saw Roy sit down and play a little steel at the old Sho-Bud store on broadway in Nashville many years ago. I don't know if he ever played one on stage or not but I know he loves steel guitar. Roy and Curly were good friends and liked to pick together. BTW I heard from a good source that Hank Garland liked to fool around with steel guitar. Can you just imagine what that might sound like. Bobby
Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

We can get to watch our own Rudy Osborne with Dottie West when she appears there. I'm looking forward to seeing that. He had dark hair then. Imagine that!!!

------------------
Mullen Royal Percision D-10 Red Laquar Pearl inlay 8&8
"Life is too short for bad tone".

Vern Wall

Post by Vern Wall »

Pretty good for a show that was only started to compete with Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

It didn't start to compete with Laugh-In, it was a summer replacement for Laugh-In and became a permanent replacement.