New Willie Nelson CD with Buddy Emmons

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Magram

New Willie Nelson CD with Buddy Emmons

Post by Dave Magram »

Great news for fans of Buddy Emmons (and who on this Forum isn't?)... Buddy's back in the studio!

Buddy is accompanying Willie Nelson on his just-released CD, "You Don't Know Me: Songs of Cindy Walker" (Lost Highway, #B000E1NX4K).

I only heard two songs on the local radio station tonight and then I checked out the samples on Amazon.com. Buddy is sounding as great as ever, playing both C6 and E9 on great Cindy Walker songs such as: Bubbles In My Beer, You Don't Know Me, Cherokee Maiden, and Just Walkin' Out The Door.

Cindy Walker was one of the best songwriters ever. Sadly, Cindy Walker passed away just a few days ago, but her music lives on in this wonderful tribute by Willie, Buddy, and Johnny Gimble.
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

Really looking forward to this one.

------------------
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have the CD and have been playing it quite a bit. It is a good CD and I really enjoy Buddy Emmon's touch on the songs. It's just too bad that Willie Nelson keeps interrupting his playing, though. Some of his vocals really stink.
Erv
Mike Randolph

Post by Mike Randolph »

Hi Erv,
Is the cd on the store shelves?
Mike
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

I got mine at Borders and have been playing it lots to my "Swingin' West" listeners world wide. I have also written a review for various publications and it can be found toward the top of the review section of my "Swingin West" web site www.swinginwest.com

Mike Gross
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Mike,
I got mine at Wal-Mart. $12.95 or something close to that.
Erv
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm not sure that even Buddy Emmons could persuade me to buy a Willie Nelson CD.

RR
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Well, I suppose Willy has to do SOMETHING on the album just so he can put his name on it. Hopefully he at least omits his guitar playing on this one ......
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Actually, Wille's singing fits the western swing vibe rather nicely. I'd say it's about the best thing he's done in ages.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Great, I just ordered the New Willie / Buddy
and Van Morrison's latest,

and 2 John Hyait's, Bring The Family, an old classic,
and the latest with Sonny Landreth on it.
Which is said to sound much like the earlier album.

Amazon do your thing.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 28 March 2006 at 06:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Chas Friedman

Post by Chas Friedman »

After reading all the posts, I had to buy the CD today; just finished listening to it. I enjoyed it. I'd have been happy if the whole disk was Buddy and Randy Elmore (fiddle), but it's good listening as it is. As far as the vocals, I occasionally had the feeling that the tempo and/or phrasing didn't fit Willie's style perfectly, but other than that I thought they were good.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I guess some folks just dont like Willie's voice. Its as good (or bad) on this as it is on any of his other recordings...in fact I thought it had a mature professional vibe that fit the songs really well. Personally i enjoy singers with oddball voices like Willie. The steel playing is godlike, with an awesome range of tones from old timey to modern...but for me part of the beauty of Mr. Emmons playing is that he knows when not to play..cliche, but true, so I am not wanting Willie to shut up while Buddy plays..hehe...I like it just the way it is. Cool album.
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Agreed. I like Willie's singing -- and his guitar playing. Willie has way more fans than he does people that don't like him. Actually, this thread is the first time I've read anything bad about Willie!

Al
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

I'm with Al on this one. But then I like just about anybody except Big and Dumb.

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoenix
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I shot video on stage with Willie 10 feet away
at a Highway Men concert in NYC.

The guy can play
and I never have seen a more charismatic performer.

I also like his craggy, like a old pair of well worn boots, singing voice.
You can hear tenderness like a torn sole/soul,
yet still be manly sounding.
A tough roe to hoe, but he does.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 01 April 2006 at 05:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>A tough roe to hoe</SMALL>

or visa versa..... Image
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Sounds like a good CD. I plan on getting it.

Now that BE has completed a new project...here is yet another opportunity for BE to be hit with the standard barage of questions..

Hey Buddy...What Steel did you use?
Hey Buddy...What Amp did you use?
Hey Buddy...What effects did you use?
Hey Buddy...What Strings did you you use?
Hey Buddy...Was this a day or night session?
Hey Buddy...What kind of shoes did you wear?
Hey Buddy...How long were your toenails when you did the session?

Of course this is a little extreme but....why is that information so important?

I have never understood that.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 01 April 2006 at 02:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>why is that information so important?</SMALL>

In case he forgets, he always has us to remind him.... Image
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 01 April 2006 at 05:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I dunno....

It always seems to me that the country singers who resonate the most with the public at large (as opposed to country music afficionados) are the ones that sound a bit 'off the wall', like Willie or Johnny Cash, rather than the more accomplished singers (Jones, Haggard, etc).

Nelson always sounds a bit amateurish to me. He's written some good tunes, but I rather wish that he'd not actually sung them - others have done them better.

Strange as it may seem, I don't mind being part of a minority in this regard.... Image

RR
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

King Is King,,, Bobbe Seymour,,,is fixing a Mr. Emmons guitar ,his old 66 to mint shape,,this guitar was,a PP/ but Franklin turned it into an all pull,, I have played this guitar,,, the tones are There,, if you visit Bobbes steel shop, he will let you Pick on it!!!but remember, Im First in line for this guitar ,,, $$$ Its mine !!! Ron
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Howard.. good one!
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I bought the CD today - as much as I hate going into WalMart - Here is the Question, Was it was worth the torture of wading through the shopping baskets and the kids running loose to find the Cd section? I have to admit it was. There is not a lot of Buddy on there, but what is there is pure Emmons and Pure Tone. I love the 40's sound of that CD. I even liked ole Willy. You must admit he is one of a kind. His phrasing makes me wonder if he will finish the song before the band quits and goes home, but he always makes it.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I spent the entire last week listening to this album, learning the very good arrangements,and studying Buddys' steel parts. The musicianship is sophisticated, and the arrangements are well thought out. A song like "You Don't Know Me" has a very fresh feel, with new intro chords, turn-rounds, and ending.
Buddy's playing is still amazing! It is his feel and sense of melody that gets to me.
If you study it and learn a few of his licks, it can open up a new way to look at your own playing. It doesn't matter if you play it on the C neck or the E9 neck.
I have been studying and learning his parts on Clinton Gregory's "Christmas in Virginia" and this new album very closly, not to mimic his playing, but to learn more about where his approach to the steel comes from. So far, I have learned that it seems to be the exact opposite of where I come from, It is mind blowing. Awesome and inspiring.. thanks Buddy
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You can really sense the influence of jazz on Buddy's playing. I sure wish Willy would've quit interrupting him, though.
Erv