Any Steel Players in Memphis, TN?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marlin Smoot

Any Steel Players in Memphis, TN?

Post by Marlin Smoot »

It may be the birthplace of Rock n Roll but is there any steel players in or close to Memphis? I'm looking for some info on the area. Thanks in advance for the info.
Chris Spencer

Post by Chris Spencer »

I jammed with a fella named James Murray last year before I moved to Mt Juliet. Check www.onlinesteelers.com under Tennessee and you might find some more. I found James through a friend of his Jerry Lucas he's a bass player but he is listed on the above site. Good luck!
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Chris,
Thanks for the information!
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Marlin. I have a music store in Jackson Tn.
about an hour and fifteen minutes from Memphis on I40.www.bandstandinc.com. I there
everyday but Monday some come on up. My ZB is set-up and ready.
Robert Cook

Post by Robert Cook »

Marlin,
Alive and well some ten minutes from Memphis in Collierville. Been playing steel for two years and guitar for forty-five.

Bob
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Guy's, thanks for the info. I'll make the rounds when I get there in a few weeks.
Thanks again!
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Well, guess this is a good time to invite any and all steel guitarists / enthusiasts , to a steel get together for July 22, at the Strand Music Hall , at 7979 Wilkinsville Rd , Millington , TN . Doors will swing open at 10:00 AM and we will proceed to set up and prepare for the pickin. This is an informal get together and hopefully everyone will have an opportunity to produce some sort of musical interlude. There is usually a few other sidemen
there to provide rhythm , vocals , accusations Image, or whatever. I've even heard a rumor that one of the guys is going to bring his rhythm tracks for those that like canned heat.
Millington , TN, is just North of Memphis, at HWY 51 and HWY 385. Or if you want to , check out Mapquest or email me for directions. Come on over Chuck Mc., just put that Eldorado on auto pilot. Image All are welcome. Image

------------------
"I Can Only Imagine"

Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Oh, let me add a couple of things :
Chuck is a great fellow to do business with ; i bought a DPC 750 and a couple of other gadgets from him a few years back and i was very satisfied with the quality and price.
Bob Cook , hope the Nashville 1K you bought from me is still doing well for you , as i told you, it's the only left handed amp i've ever seen . Image
Chris S., old James is a fine picker and one of nicest guys you'll ever meet. How do you like Mt. Juliet and being in the neighborhood of all the beginner musicains Image? I bet they worry you to death tryin to copy your chops, huh?
Marlin, if you're going to be aound Memphis drop me an email and let me know when and i'll let you know which of us to avoid , just kiddin. If i can help you with directions let me know.
Atlanta, i once lived around there , till they ran me off for defacing some rock mountain out near Snellville. Image
Yall come on.---------Skip

------------------
"I Can Only Imagine"

Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Thanks Skip, I hope to meet you soon.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Randy Smith is there in Memphis somewhere.A great picker! Image
Robert Cook

Post by Robert Cook »

Hey Skip,
The amp is fantastic! It's loud indoors and out. I started up in earnest after getting back from Ecuador last summer. I'll do my best to make the session you mentioned even just to pick up a few tips. Those left-handed amps work great with the left-handed thumbpicks too!
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I BELIEVE ROY Ayers is there, don't get no better than that

ernie
Kenny Forbess

Post by Kenny Forbess »

Here's a small list of steel pikker's in Memphis and it's surrounding area's.

Skip Cole
Jim Taylor
Eddie Rice
Jim Salee
Lee Arrington
Ricky Hinson
Randy Smith
Glen Bradberry
Glen McCullough
Eral Logan
Tommy Skelton
Gene Lacey
Roy Ayres
David Ray
David's Dad(sorry I forgot the first name )
Tom Mooney
James Murray
Jim McNease
Gill Michaels
Glen Tice

And me ,
but most of'em don't call me one Image .
Mail me or Skip , we'll find'em for you.
Holler when you get out this way.

Kenny

Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Right about me being here, Ernie. I'm playing a little dinner-music gig on Friday evenings only -- soft steel music with BIAB backup using bass, brush drums, rhythm guitar and piano -- at a little local restaurant in Atoka, about 20 miles north of the Memphis city limit. If anyone wants specific directions, email me at Roy@RoysFootprints.com

Skip Cole, sorry that I can't make your July 22 jam this time. Say "Hello" to Ed Rice for me.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLACK><P ALIGN=left>Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

I guess i should post this in the announcements
but since i've already placed it this topic i'll conclude the previous post:
The Jam session slated for Sat. ,July 22, at the Strand Music Hall in Millington ,TN, has been postponed until a future time which will be announced soon. Several of the member pickers have prior committments and one has a surgery scheduled . This was my mistake in scheduling and i apologize for any inconveniences that may have been caused. But we will be rescheduling soon. Thanks-Skip