Non-deadbeat thread

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Well, that pinpoints the designation of "deadbeat". I am one of them.

...because, I always pay off my credit card balance at the end of every month and have not paid any interest to a credit card company in more than 10 years. Image
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

Been playing since my teens, but never tempted to go full time. I have a small coterie of friends who are full-time musicians, but as one of them said, "it's a fast way to starve" (and he'd been Donny Hathaway's guitarist for 5 years). He runs software direct marketing campaigns now.

Myself, computer person since the mid-70's at Berkeley, as an engineer, evangelist, consultant, pundit, etc etc. The oddest band I've been in had one Chief Technology Officer, three vice-presidents... and me. Pretty good musicians they were, too.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I've been a carpenter for 35 yrs., 25 of them doing restoration carpentry. I started playing music for money (sort of) when I was 16. I've been on the road 3 times in my career as a musician. Once as a R&R guitarist, then a 12 string Rick player in a band with a contract with Columbia Records, finally as a steel guitarist in a country rock band. They were all good times, but, I NEVER left my day job. I would much have preferred being a musician, but, I guess it wasn't in the cards for me. I'm still building and restoring today, but, my heart really lies elsewhere. I'm certainly not rich, but, comfortable with my surroundings and happy just to be alive. I still play out with my band and I get to play sessions once in a while. I even get to play at a "steel show" now and then. I'm teaching a young man now, how to play the steel, and that's terrific. I'm proud of where I've gotten to, today, but, sometimes I still wonder where I'd be if I'd taken some chances and gone a different route, but, then I probably wouldn't have the stability I have today.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<SMALL>but, then I probably wouldn't have the stability I have today.</SMALL>
I'm always envious of the people who have, what appears to be, stability in their lives. Especially now that I'm approaching 60. The jobs have been pretty regular, for the past decade or so, although I can't do the film business, 18-20hr days for weeks on end, any more. My biggest fears are, what am I going to do when I can't physically do my job. Retirement is out of the question, we'll be eating turf-builder.

George Rout

Post by George Rout »

My whole 49-year career has been in contracts and procurement, commencing in 1955 with Cossor Canada in Halifax, CFCF TV, Sperry Rand, RCA Aerospace, and Monenco all in Montreal, and retiring from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation in 2004 here in St. Catharines. I loved spending other peoples' money by the millions!!!! And, I'd do it all over again. George
Allen Peterson

Post by Allen Peterson »

McDonalds Hamburgers
Truck driver
Sod carrier
Construction laborer
Doodle Bugger (seismic crew laborer)
Permit man
Geologist in Uranium exploration
Geologist in the oil business for the last 31 years

Allen Peterson
Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

I worked a full time job as a TV Engineer and still had a band that was on TV Show for 17 years. We were staff band for WIVK Radio Station for years and played all the shindigs that they had with all the stars from Nashville. We played for most of the big stars. I graduated from high school and went to work at the TV Station and went to school to get my Engineering License. I retired from the TV station and went to work at Dollywood. I have been there ever since. I have had a great run with my music. I have enjoyed every minute of it. I played steel with Bill Carlisle when I was 16 years old.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Not that anyone is interested:
*Labored in a dairy making REVELS, POPSICLES...sounds like fun but wasn't!
*Sold stationery and office equipment.
*Sold Hammond, Baldwin, Lowrey and Electrohome Organs 10 years. (Met Laurens Hammond in Chicago in 1956).
*Taught steel and r/guitar for 9 years.
*Large Dept. Store Manager for 27 years (finally retired at 55).
*Back to teaching (seniors) since retirement.

Meanwhile, since I had nothing better or worthwhile to do, I played literally hundreds and hundreds of gigs since joining the AFM loc.390 in 1946. (60 years of gigs!)During 1952/54 I played two years of solid 6 nites a week. I'm still playing steady gigs at the age of 78 and, (amazingly), still married!
(Our 54th anniversary is coming up in August). Image

Oh, and did I mention being involved with BOY SCOUTS (Scouts Canada) for 30 years ?

http://www3.telus.net/public/lake_r/ <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 13 July 2006 at 12:26 PM.]</p></FONT>