Where are we all from?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

<SMALL>It will beat big, dirty, sub-zero and smelly any day of the year.</SMALL>
Our newest member ... who "hails" from a rather squalid neighborhood ... asked me to post this ... Image

<font size=1>Click</font>

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's Cast Steel Guitars</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

* born india; started at age 10, legs could not reach floor while sitting; influences: garney nyss, roland peachy, felix mendelsohn, van shipley; played lap steel at school, , then forgot about music for a while
* early 60s to 80s in the UK; influences: wout steenhuis, jerry byrd, hank marvin; sold lapsteel, bought first pedal steel E9, three pedals, scottish brand ( cant remember the name)
* 80s to 90s migrated to the US; influences: jerry byrd, winnie winston, jeff newman, buddy emmons, buddy merrill; sold 3-pedal steel and bought dual neck MSA Excel; visited hawaii twice, met jerry byrd, coached on a few occasions by correspondence, picking/blocking techniques...that man was a perfectionist..
* 90s to 00s migrated to singapore; visited hawaii on numerous occasions; back to lap-steel, inspired by jerry byrd and alan akaka; influences: alan akaka, bobby ingano, leonard zinn, eric clapton, hank marvin, charlie byrd, all you guys in HSGA/SGF; bought two West Coast lapsteels, now own a custom "steelocaster"; published 6 CDs.
* next...?????

------------------
kay
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Grew up in Nutley, New Jersey, spent my summers "down the shore" on Long Beach Island. Came to Boston in '68 to enroll in Berklee Colege of Music, haven't left yet! Been teaching there 33 years
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

I was born in S****horpe- a town famous for two things-
1. It was the UK's steel town.
2. Its name regularly gets rejected by obscenity filters!
Grew up in Leeds- big town in the North of England.Went to University in Liverpool- just in time to waste most of my time in the original Cavern.
Now I live in Malvern, famous for pure spring water and musicians.
The Malvern Hills were the inspiration for Tolkien's Middle Earth, and for the Gas Lamp in the woods in C S Lewis' Narnia books.
I teach Music Production in the nearby City of Worcester- which is one of England's old County Capitals, right nest to the River Severn and the Cathedral. The Building next to the College is shown on the back of a UK twenty pound note.
Guitar list:-
National Console 8, Hofner President, Hofner Verithin Bass, Hofner Senator 12 string, Hofner 175, 1962 Fender Newporter, 1958 Epiphone Jumbo, Westone Clipper, etc..

------------------
Cheers!
Dave

PS see what I mean about the name- I typed it in full. The first missing letter is a C. The last one is a T. The ones in the middle are UN.
D <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 11 December 2005 at 01:37 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 11 December 2005 at 01:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

Hehe - that's good. Doesn't filter Hull though, does it? Image

I'm from North London - still here too.

Ian
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

*<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 06 April 2006 at 02:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
basilh

Post by basilh »

Kay.. that Scottish Steel was probably a "Springfield"
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

baz, spot on....i had forgotten. are they still in existence? if you reply, you may choose to do so at my e-mail address as we may be "polluting" this interesting thread.

------------------
kay
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i was born in France & brought up in New Yawk, Massachusettes, Wyoming & 6 years on the road through 45 states
decided to live in France & been here since
ma family live in good Ol' so i do get back every once in a while
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Born in Boston, though the exact hospital
and all it's records have disapeared completely.

Raised in Sudbury Mass 20 miles west of beantown,
with pro audio / studio equipment all around. Spent around 35 years in that area, but a good bit of road work etc.
Got my dobro there in '70 when one studio closed
and I was told to hold on to this for awhile.. looks like 35 years so far...

I ran my owqn studios from around 1973 till 1990 or so,
when ear fatigue and generally wanting quieter times set in a bit.
A big turn towards acoustic musics.

Ended up in NYC around 1990, started playing standup bass, Had my 6 string elec. bass built,
and got my MOTS Supro there to add to the Dobro.
Spent 5 years there playing bluegrass, symphonic music and of course jazz.

Next ended up spending 5 years in or around Paris France.
To my great surprise...
Played a bit of classical, some jazz caberet back up.
Salsa and jazz in a 6 piece band, we played the France World Cup host cycle,
hired by the Paris Metro system for a string of football related gigs.
And a surprising amount of irish and other celtic based trad musics.

Then 5 years in the south of France.
I picked up the forum and my Sho-Bud there.

I played american blues /bluegrass /celtic cross with an mostly acoustic band and assorted jazz manouche and blues country gigs.
Including Billy Bob's in EuroDisney on steel and mandolin.

As of the last 6 months I am picking in Thailand
and bopping around asia.
Apparently I have the best wine cellar on the island...
( Someone peeked in today and just plotzed.. Image )

I don't know how long I will be here,
but 5 years seems a minimum...
"One never knows, do one?"
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL> Someone peeked in today and just plotzed</SMALL>

Well, I hope they have the courtesy to clean up after themselves..... Image

Born in Brooklyn.....anyone gotta problem wit dat? Image Image

First record I remember was when I was 7 or 8. "Tom Thumb" theme song by Russ Tamblin from the movie. (Got that one Rick?) The flip side was a jazz/swing tune called "Now or Never." Wish I still had it.

Next, when I was 12 or 13, "The Gypsy Cried" by Lou Christie. I'm still trying to learn that one on dobro.... Image

And the rest is historectomy...... Image
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Born stateless (Wash DC) ... grew up in Philly .... now in Needham, a Boston suburb. My musical taste was formed (or warped) early on by exposure to stuff like early 60s TV themes (Fireball X-L-5, Jonny Quest, Avengers, Adventures in Paradise, on and on) and stuff like my Mom's Italian cruise ship souviner record by the Ernesto Mancini Quartet. They did mostly Beatles songs ... all sung in English with with heavy italian accents. Bobbe Seymour unwittingly contributed to my early musical upbringing with his 60s stint on the Sally Starr TV show.
Joseph Rush Wills

Post by Joseph Rush Wills »

Born in Bartow, FL; raised up in New Jersey. Fascinated by steel all my life; got into bluegrass music, started playing Dobro some years ago. Got my lap steel back in the spring, working on learning C6.
Many thanks to all the members of the SGF for help, advice and friendship!
BTW: If any of you guys would like me to air your projects on my program I'll be happy to do if you'll send me material! Contact me off-line at Mrjobro@aol.com

Joe Wills, Host
Burlington County Bluegrass
Saturdays 10am-2pm
Z88-9 (WBZC) 88.9 & 95.1 FM www.Z889.com

------------------
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

<SMALL>Born in Brooklyn.....anyone gotta problem wit dat?</SMALL>
Go take a shower, Howard __ a cold one. Image
Tom Baylis

Post by Tom Baylis »

I was born in Jackson, Michigan and also lived in various places around the state...Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Traverse Bay area.

I moved to the SF Bay area in 1976 and, after meeting & marrying my wonderful wife in the 80's, we moved to Portland, Oregon (the other City of Roses) in 1990 to raise our family. As much as I still have lots of midwest in my blood, and as much as I love the Bay Area (for the music as much as anything), we really enjoy living in the Northwest.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Born in eastern Washington state in the Palouse country. I wish I had studied steel from some of the local steelers back then. Did anybody know a steeler from there named Neal Klemgard? My dad used to play at Whelan Grange Hall with him in the 50's.

Moved to Seattle in 1975, been here ever since.
(edited to shorten) <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 13 December 2005 at 09:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry W. Jones

Post by Larry W. Jones »

Texas all the way. Born in Port Arthur, raised barefoot in Conroe, finally semi-educated in Aldine (Houston). Last 18 yrs homesteadin' in Kingwood, 30 mi N. of Houston. Published 7 volumes of Island Song Lyrics. 8th volume (last one!) due early 2006. First CD of songs in work by Richard Hefner of http://ezfolk.com

------------------
<center>Image</center>

<center><font face="arial" size="2">It ain't got that <font color="red">FEELIN'</font> if it ain't got that <b><font color="blue">STEELIN'</font></font></center>

Craig Hawks

Post by Craig Hawks »

Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Living in North Ridgeville, Ohio (three suburbs to the right of Cleveland) these days.
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

Born in Roanoke, VA. Took steel lessons from Elmer Ridenhour around the time Wayne and Jerry Newton were there. I now live in Felton, CA in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Patti Maxine - steelin home