New Player/Member

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Garland

New Player/Member

Post by Jerry Garland »

Hi,

My name is Jerry Garland and I'm new to both the forum and steel guitar. I've been playing guitar for 42 year and finally got bit by the steel guitar bug. I just purchased a GFI S-10P Ultra and a Fender Steel King amp from Billy Cooper and I had my first lesson two weeks ago from Buddy Charlton. At the end of the lesson, I could get through about 2/3 of the Waltz You Saved For Me and I'm working on learning the remainder. I'm looking forward to learning this fascinating instrument and participating in the forum. If there are any other players in the Washington-Baltimore area, I'd sure like to hear from you. Perhaps you can let me know where live music with steel guitar is being played in this area. Also, when I bought my PSG, I also got one for my nephew who's blind. He's been playing guitar for about 14 years and is a pretty good musician. If anyone has any thoughts on teaching steel to a blind man, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jerry
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Welcome to the Forum Jerry,
This is a fun and educational place.
Pete Young

Post by Pete Young »

Welcome to the forum Jerry You have come to a great place for help if you need it and to meet some really nice people Hope you enjoy it as much as I have, tho I have only been a member for a few days I have read almost every post on here for the last six months A bunch of real nice people As for your nephew you have an old mans mind turning There has to be a way to make it easier for a blind person to play steel Its just to find that way Gives me something to think about. I for one will rack my brain for an answer. Its not much of a brain but I will use it anyway. I think you will love playing steel tho its hard to learn Takes a lot of practice
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

I think Johnny Cox had a blind student that got an MSA steel @ the convention in St Louis in '04? Maybe Johnny was only involved with the guitar, it may have been someone else who was the teacher?
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Jerry from Alabama.
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Jerry,
Welcome to the Forum, and the steel guitar!

Larry

------------------
"Fessy" S/D 12, 8/6 Hilton Pedal, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum Jerry Image
you done come to the right place & i know yer gonna love it here
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Welcome aboard Jerry! The pedal steel environment here in Maryland is very healthy sporting many accomplished players. The first player you want to check out is Curry Coster who works with Bob Plunkert. Their schedule can be viewed here: http://bobplunkert.com/ Curry also plays at the Barn just about every Sunday from 3-5 and can be heard there via a live Internet weekly broadcast: http://www.live365.com/stations/countryshowcase Once in a while I sit in at the Barn but you won't hear me on the Internet, I'm taken out of the mix. Image
Anywho, I'll be pickin at the Austin Grill located in Silver Spring, MD., on Friday 7/7. We, The Ty Braddock Band, go on at 9.
You can also check out the Jay Henley band of which I was a member for about 5 years. My replacement is some guy that sports a bad hair cut, Fido. Their performance schedule can be viewed here: http://jayhenley.com/appearances.htm
Donny Hinson posts a lot here on the Forum and lives in Baltimore, MD. I don't know how much he plays out but I'm sure he will chime in here.
Pat Dawson is with the J R Booker Band: http://www.jrbooker.com/shows.html
Some other players that deserve an honorable mention simply because they play really well like Buddy Griffin, Paul VendeMMia, Brent, John Lockney, Chuck Campbell hmmm I know I'm missing a bunch. Lots of steel pickers outside of Frederick, MD too, I'm sure you will eventually run into them like Burnell Groft. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gary Lee Gimble on 01 July 2006 at 03:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Jerry, I checked out the NOVA Flatpickers site. You mentioned that "...Ten people including one mandolin player showed up..." What would happen if I showed up with my banjo?
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Gee, sorry I missed you!!

Ernie Image http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Jerry Garland

Post by Jerry Garland »

Gary Lee: I haven't been to the jams lately, but I'm sure you'd be welcome. I found that all of the people that showed up were just about the music and having a good time. Everybody seemed to check their attitudes at the door. All in all it was a very good jam, and the couple that owns MusicMasters are super people.
Don Powalka

Post by Don Powalka »

You came to the right place. I'm sure you will pick up some good info from this forum.

------------------
Fender Strat Fender Tele Gibson Les Paul ShoBud U12 Genuine Dobro Washburn B16 banjo for aggravation
John Lockney

Post by John Lockney »

One of the great things about going to see Gary Lee Gimble play is that he is so good there are <u>always</u> other steel players in the audience to talk to. I'll be going to see him play again with the Ty Bradock Band next Friday night 7/7/06.

Also, check-out the Eddie Stubs show on 88.5 WAMU Sundays 3:00 to 5:00PM. Its vintage country - they recently played "The Waltz You Saved For Me" by Ernest Tubb with Buddy Charleton on steel guitar. -- They play great stuff and regularly mention who the steel player was.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Lockney on 01 July 2006 at 03:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jerry, I'm doing a session this weekend, and I'll be working next weekend. Drop me an e-mail in about 2 weeks and we'll get together! Image
Jerry Garland

Post by Jerry Garland »

Donny that's very kind of you. I'll be sure to do that.
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

Welcom to the Forum, Jerry.
That was Jonathan Candler who played in St. Louis.
There were several people who were taking a hand at teaching him, Billy Easton from Arizona, David Wright, Johnny Cox and perhaps others. Maybe they will chime in...