Steel Players' Obituary: Yours?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eric West

Steel Players' Obituary: Yours?

Post by Eric West »

Considering the amount of "us" that have made the transition lately, It might be a good chance to do so.

( No fair writing anyone's but your's please..)

Eric J Lundgren of Portland died_____ at ______ of a________ ______ ________.

He was a local musician that went by the name of Eric West, which he took from a now deceased mentor, Don West.

He played as a sole means of support, such as it was from '79 til '86, with a corresponding hole in his SSGLI contributions. Mostly in local bands that sometimes travelled, from Tenino to Tonopah, from Gervais to Vegas. Some were damned good, some he just took the money..

Playing music from his earliest years on seemed to be the common thread of his small but special life, for better or worse. It always seeming to be a reason for taking "non career" jobs, mostly construction, that allowed his schedule to include it. This excluded any jobs with retirements, union representation, or shift work, though he took many that had schedules that conflicted.

While in the USAF in 75-9, he was able to take pedal steel lessons from a kindly fellow that played for a famous travelling group of troubadors.

After taking an exit to his four year military tour and coming back to Portland, he started playing steel for any band that he could, and was never successfully discouraged, played with more than a hundred bands, and thirty or more at the local truck stop. In his years of working steady construction jobs, he often worked more full week/month music jobs than he did when he did it for a living. This probably made him older than he looked, and/or actually was. Kind of like "dog years"..

In the later years starting in 2002, he found a Pedal Steel Guitar Forum, and was able to meet, trade stories with, gain instruction, and sometimes torment the more stuffy of his community. Some of his best friends, he met there, he claimed. His interaction on the forum took him on his "Motel Six" pilgramage to Nashville, where he met Lloyd Green, Lynn Owsley, Tommy White, Russ Hicks, Bobby Knight, Mr Sweeney, et al, picked up his Marrs Retrofit, and kissed Bobbe Seymour's balding head.

Overall, he went happily through life like s#it through a goose, whistling in any graveyard he could (In Equal Temperament), tormenting the cruel, and helping the helpless as he found time to. In the midst of violent surroundings, he always strived to be a very gentle soul. Sometimes it was easier than others.

People that thought he liked them, were often those he liked the least. People that didn't think he liked them were sometimes the ones he thought the most of. He garnered and treasured low class insults from some pretty important people, returning them in the form of time-release put downs when possible. He never told anybody he loved them unless he meant it. He told many people that.

His family and friends, he always considered the greatest source of his wealth, and his pets, his connection to his humanity.

His goal in life was to become a Humorous Campfire Story, and not a Tragic Figure, as many musicians seem to become.

He died leaving _____ to ______ and was survived by ______, his______-time _____.

Cremation was held_____the ashes scattered in Sugar Creek, in the Paulina District of the Ochoco Nat Forest, on a sunny day, to eventually float to the ocean or be tracked and strewn elsewhere by varmints or critters.

Now he is hopefully able to travel out into the cosmos with the music he played, and spend time perusing the best of it, skipping the worst of it, on his way to Glory in God's own time, ultimately reedeemed by his Son. Possibly after taking a few years as we know them to commune with the pets he liked so much..

(Subject to future edition if done in time..)

EJL <font size="2" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited yet again by Eric West in plenty of time on 18 June 2006 at 07:46 PM.]</p></font> <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Eric West on 19 June 2006 at 09:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Hmmm?
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

OK, here's mine---
Steve Gambrell, local musician, died yesterday.
A benefit will be held to pay funeral expenses.
Tell Larry Moore,"Steve says,'bye'!"<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Stephen Gambrell on 06 May 2005 at 04:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Here lies Jim Cohen. He always wanted to grow up to be a musician, until he learned that you couldn't do both...
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Robert Woodrow Bossert
Born 02-19-1966 Died 02-19-2099

Robert Bossert, the world's oldest steel guitarist and multi millionaire died in his sleep yesterday, Test were inconclusive at press time but it's believed that Mr. Bossert was in excellent condition and didn't die from anything serious. He will be missed by someone. Contributions can be made in Mr. Bossert's name to the following organizations: The Morning wood institute for advanced studies in sexual enhancement drugs. The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Bob Carlucci local malcontent died unexpectedly at home.. The last remaining intact spinal disc in his body exploded and came out his left ear.
He had been attempting to lift something called an MSA XL Classic D12, and death came suddenly.
He leaves behind him a legacy of missed notes and bad tone. He was considered a musician by some and an irritant by all.

His grieving widow asks to please send cash in lieu of flowers.

He goes home to be with his Lord Who will no doubt call him on the Heavenly Carpet as soon as he arrives.
His close friend Gizzard will deliver the eulogy at the internment service. When asked about his old friend, Gizzard tearfully stated.. Yep, ol'Bullet Bob..couldn't play too good,but he shore were ugly... All his steel guitar equipment is bequeathed to his beloved Steel Guitar Forum... RIP<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 06 May 2005 at 05:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Here lies Keith Cordell. Don't blame his teachers.

------------------
Sierra S8, Gibson GA30RVT, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro heavily modified, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, pyrex and bakelite bars

Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Ken Lang is missing and presumed dead, as are millions of people around the planet.

One eyewitness reported him suddenly looking skyward, smiling and then just dissapearing, leving a pile of clothes behind.

Local authorities tried to notify his wife and children but were unable to contact them.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Donna Banks Dodd leaves a legacy of love to those who survive her. If her name had been Teresa, then perhaps she would have been called Mother Teresa - rather than “MA Donna”.

Her final wishes for the Grand Event were that her husband, steel guitar legend (at least in HER eyes), Tommy Dodd would play How Great Thou Art, and that Aaron Neville would sing Grand Tour. She said she is more than aware that the lyrics are totally inappropriate, but just happens to love that song.

Donna spent years researching WHY she could not carry a tune, settling on the idea that perhaps her tonsils might have been too large.

Among others, she is survived by her sister – who she warns that the medications in her cabinet are NOT as marked.
And lastly, she asks that in lieu of flowers, we all just promise to floss daily - especially after eating possum!
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

One song to never play at a funeral, Cold Cold Heart!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Howard Tate was pronounced dead last night, after not moving for the past three months. No one could tell if he was ill because not moving was normal for him. On being informed of his passing, the widow said "I thought he'd never leave". He had requested that his remains be buried under the porch of his IRS auditor.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

"Color that sucker gone."
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

My headstone will read SEE I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK.
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Well,this looks like the end my friend.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Well, Eric, this time you've really gone beyond the boundaries of taste, even for you, and this is really just the lowest, and.... gasp -- choke -- gak! (thud!)

Actually, I wouldn't even want to try to write my own obit... I hope my wife will come up with something nice.

Yours is really very good, even touching, Eric. Maybe you should write mine too? ... On second thought, maybe not....! Image

Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Down the Road He Goed
George Plemons

Post by George Plemons »

Here lies George,
dead as Pig,
got killed,
coming home from a gig.

He loved Gene Watson,
and was over forty,
he request that somebody
play Farewell Party.

If you open the casket
he might to start to sing
and that would kill the rest of us,
so close that thing!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Today, TP went home.., his final words were...

" I wish I borrowed money from everybody I knew yesterday"..

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Some pretty good ones so far..

I remember seeing a quizzical headstone with the name "Weedon" on it.

Here lies Les. No Les, no more..

Something like that..

I'm waiting for Bobbe's.

EJL

PS: Donna, what is in those mislabelled prescription bottles?
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Eric,
The one you may be thinking about was supposedly one found in Boot Hill Cemetary.
It went like this...

Here lies Lester Moore,
Four slugs from a forty-four.
No Les, no more.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Lem Smith on 07 May 2005 at 05:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jo Ann Joyce

Post by Jo Ann Joyce »

Hmmm...distasteful (questionable)...funny as all get out (YES)...thought provoking...most definitely. Mine, (recent activites considered)...she IMPLODED.
Yours,
Jo Ann
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Interesting thread . . . gets ya thinking.

A colleague of mine at Kuwait University used to have each student write his or her obituary. Joe said it was a salutary exercise . . .

(You might be interested in my related comment under "Jiggs Lemley.")

Chris
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

I Told You I Was Sick
Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

It was a cough
that carried him off

it was a coffin
they carried him offin

Ian
Chippy Wood