Newbie Steel Guitar Picker

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve East

Newbie Steel Guitar Picker

Post by Steve East »

Hello everyone! I’m new to your site and look forward in getting a lot of good ideas. I’m trying to learn to play a Marlen S10 that I’ve had for sometime in the case.

As of this time, I’m using Jeff Newman DVD’s :Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques, Right Hand Alpha, Up From The Top, (AB pedals, d lever and f lever). Right now I’m concentrating on Right Hand Alpha, and AB Pedals. I’m also playing with a band, trying to learn chord progressions mostly.

I plan on getting an instructor, but I was trying to get a little experience first.

If anyone has any suggestions, or a better idea, please let me know.

------------------
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Welcome to the steel world.Looks like you are off to a good start.Check out some of the steel jams and shows.I,ll have to say down through the years ,I learned more at these shows than anywhere.Nothing like an up close session.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Steve from Alabama,Playing in a band is great,you will learn more there than any other way.
Wade Tackett

Post by Wade Tackett »

Welcome Steve from Tahlequah, Oklahoma. You can't go wrong with these guys. They will make you feel right at home. There is a large resource here in the forum that you will find helpful to you.Go to tablature you will find some good info there. Good luck, Wade, Picken for Jesus!
Mac Martine

Post by Mac Martine »

Welcome Steve!
You're off to a good start! As far as instruction and advice, the Newman videos and the forum respectively have done more for me than I ever could have hoped for. And playing with a band and playing gigs does even more. Take your time with those videos. If you get the basics down well you'll end up progressing a lot faster in the long term.
Steve East

Post by Steve East »

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if I was heading in the right way. This is the first experence I've had with a guitar and I'm over 50. Should have started a little earlier. Thanks again!
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Welcome on board Steve,from Brussels Belgium.
Way to go with the Jeff Newman's courses!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey Steve, welcome aboard and good luck with your studies.

I think you'll find some pretty good stuff happenin' over in the Wilson area from time to time..keep an eye out for those events.Wilson is not all that far from Germantown , I believe maybe an hour.

Tony from Charlotte

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 17 June 2006 at 03:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rodney Garrison

Post by Rodney Garrison »

Steve, Jeff Newman's products are some of the best. Playing with a band is tops though. Study Jeff's UP FROM THE TOP series. Congrats' and keep us posted.
RG
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Steve,Don't let the age stop you .I was around fifty when I started playing steel[had been playing guitar for about 35 years]Have been playing steel full time for the last 17 years,don't even own a guitar,it's never to late to start.