The Wheel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Williamson

The Wheel

Post by Mark Williamson »

I don't post here very often because I prefer to read what you guys have to say. I don't play, but have a deep love for the PSG and the incredible sound that it produces. I have a great deal of respect for any person who can play one of these contraptions and this forum is filled with talented musicians. So here is my question. I saw Asleep at the Wheel at a bankers convention in Dallas Friday night. Who is that guy with the hat cocked over to one side playing that old Fender? He played with flair and great showmanship. For me, he was the only guy on stage. I would just like to know who he is and congratulate him on a great performance.
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Mark,

That would be Eddie Rivers, from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin Image.

------------------
Image http://authenticrecording.com
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 15 May 2006 at 12:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Miano
Location: Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased

Post by Bob Miano »

Mark,
Be careful......over 25 years ago I was a big Asleep At The Wheel fan and NOT a musician. Went to see The Wheel in a small club in Long Island, New York and sat right in front of the pedal steel player (which was Lucky Oceans at the time).... and got hooked !!! Six months later I bought a pedal steel and have been playing ever since.
So be careful, you too might join the steel "players" .
Best Regards,
Bob Miano
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

Hey Mark. I believe Eddie was one of your big influences. Was he not?

Kirk
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

Kirk and Bob,

A very big influence. I am his student - and know exactly what you mean about getting hooked. In the 80's Eddie was doing alot of E's stuff, like SS Cool, etc, when I saw him for the first time. It was a band called Ida Red, and they did some Wheel songs as well...actually, alot of Wheel songs back then. I was introduced to Western swing then, and what a style.

Eddie said "Stop by the house and I'll show me a few things", and I'll always be grateful to him for that!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 15 May 2006 at 03:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Hey - I thought this going to be a Jerry Garcia thread about his steel playing on the "The Wheel" from his first solo album...I guess not! Image

------------------
Mark
Mark Williamson

Post by Mark Williamson »

In 1979 I bought a LDG in Wichita Falls Texas brand new for $895.00. Just about the time it got to where you could sort of tell what I was playing, tragedy struck! I met my future wife and had to sell the guitar to raise money to get married. So after about 1 year I sold it to Steve Lamb for $850.00 and that ended my steeling career. Well, I still have the wife and she still looks pretty good, cooks well and has a pretty good job. So on balance, maybe it wasn't a bad trade?????? Oh yeah....Mr. Eaton! Who is Jerry Garcia? Bob, my wife seems to be weakening and I may get to buy a guitar yet! So keep a happy thought!!! <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Williamson on 16 May 2006 at 06:04 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Williamson on 16 May 2006 at 06:06 PM.]</p></FONT>