Emmy Lou Harris on Youtube with steeler ...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Post by Jim Gorrie »

Randy ~ could you please hurry along that date -- I'm gettin' a little impatient already . . . Image
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

She's the voice from the other side.......

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Tim Bridges

Post by Tim Bridges »

I wish she would move back to Alabama and be my neighbor. Image
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

Lotsa 'brand-new' Music Man amps from the era visible. She was really starting to achieve recognition, away from the shadow of Gram Parsons around this time. A plaintive voice, mysterious past and evocative persona-- backed up by a group of diamonds in the rough-- really hooked me into it too, boys. An A.P. Carter or Louvin Bros. cover would leave me inna trance during this Hot Band tenure. Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Zimmerman on 13 May 2006 at 11:08 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Zimmerman on 13 May 2006 at 11:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Jim ,saw Hank play with Rodney many years ago on one of Johnny Cash's Glasgow show, talked to him after the show, a real nice guy, one of my long time favourites (and Emmy of course).Look out for Gerry Hogan with Albrt Lee and Hogan's Heros at the Jam House Edinburgh on Sunday night. Give Mr H my regards if you go .Malcolm

------------------
Image Mullen D10,Peavey Nashville 400,Peavey Profex, Peavey DPC 750, Nashville cabs

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Malcolm McMaster on 13 May 2006 at 02:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

The band line-up in the programme, my ticket and the review in the `Melody Maker`.

Arch.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Archie,

This must have been the same time the Hot Band taped a performance on "The Old Grey Whistle Test". They did "Amarillo". I have the DVD of Whistle Test performances. There are many gems on there, but Emmy Lou and the guys take the cake. A must-have piece of footage for fans of this Hot Band line-up.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Many years ago, I was going through the bins at Aron's Records, when it was on Melrose. Across from me, on the next row, Emmy Lou was going through the bin and I stopped breathing.

Sometime later, I saw her, and the Hot Band, at Royce Hall. Albert Lee took a solo on Luxory Liner and he "hooked one". The audience gave him a standing 'O' before he finished. It was very impressive.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Jim Sliff, if you saw Bob Warford and James Burton it would have been the original band with Hank DeVito, on her first proper tour Burton had some committments, and they only had a small window of opportunity before Glen D., Ronnie Tutt and James B. had to go back with Elvs, solution?

Bob came in as a temp on that tour in '75, eventually Burton joined them and they continued with the triple attack of Hank, Bob and James.. just let that sink in.

There's supposedly live tapes from 1975, super rare, so rare that the Hot Band alumini from that tour are also looking for copies.

Burton left in 1976, so the only steeler he worked with was Hank, Albert Lee came in to replace Burton, he first showed up on an Emmylou album in 1977, her third.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Saw Emmy long ago in NJ.. What a band she had!.. when I saw her, Ricky Scaggs was a sideman with her playing fiddle and mando!!!.. It was either Burton or Lee on guitar[leaning towards Burton]Hank De Vito on steel.. Just incredible,,, Emmy is every bit as breathtakingly beautiful today as she was all those decades ago,,,That marvelous mane of gorgeous silver hair... She had [and HAS] a lot of us guys lusting after her sweet look and formidable talent... bob
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Hank DeVito had an exhibition at a Nashville art gallery around 1988 of his hand-colored photographs. Wonder if he is doing that now.. . .

Talented guy.

Chris