Emmy Lou Harris on Youtube with steeler ...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Emmy Lou Harris on Youtube with steeler ...

Post by Jim Gorrie »

Apologies if this link has been posted before - I searched but didn't find anything.
It's Emmy Lou singing Boulder to Birmingham.
Anyone know the steel player ?
Is it Neil Flanz ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPBhaC5I0MM&search=gram%20parsons
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Hank DeVito.

This is when I first fell in love with Emmylou-have yet to shake it.

Oh yeah, Hank is a pretty fine steeler...

------------------
Mark
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

See Albert Lee and Rodney Crowell? Cool....
Gordy Hall

Post by Gordy Hall »

WOW. Just WOW.

The first time I saw the 'hot Band' it was her and Rodney with a pickup bass player and drummer at a little club in San Bernardino, and fell in love with her sound and her music. I've seen her many, many times, with many players. With Frank Recard (sp?), Hank DeVito, and Steve Fishell on Melobar. Vince Gill. Albert Lee. Rodney Crowell. Bonnie Raitt. Glen Hardin. On and on. So much musical talent.

Thanks for the post. It was great to see.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Saw her many times as well, but one was really nuts. Forget who the steel player was, but she had BOTH James Burton and Bob Warford on Teles. They were playing "tag" all night long - it was insane. Definitely one of those "oh, man - wish I had a tape recorder" nights.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

doesnt get better.
great steel player, a young Albert Lee, and Emmy's sweet voice.
those bare arms ...oh my what a treat.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Great clip! Everyone still had their original hair color! LOL
JE:-)>
Jim Gorrie
Location: Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.

Post by Jim Gorrie »

Thanks guys for the info. - you can tell I'm not familiar with Neil Flanz ~ or Hank De Vito for that matter !
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. An Angel singing with a beutiful pedal steel providing the angel choir for backup. Image

------------------
<font size="1">Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Hank DeVito also wrote "Queen of Hearts", the Juice Newton hit that was also recorded a couple of years earlier by Dave Edmunds.

Great stuff . . . great memories

Thanks Jim

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

I always thought Hank D. was terrific on all those Emmy Lou hits. Anybody know more about him? Who else has he played with? What's he up to these days?
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Roseanne Cash, Rodney Crowell primarily
He played in the Cherry Bombs, their backup band, and played lead and rhythm gtr as well as steel. He has also written quite a few successful tunes.

He also played with the New York Rock 'n' Roll Ensemble in the early 70s.

He's also recorded with folk guys like David Bromberg, Jesse Colin Young, and Guy Clark and I believe he played steel on George Strait's "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind". He may have also been on a Ricky Skaggs record but I'm not sure about that.

He's a great player who does a lot more than just play steel. I put him up there with Dugmore, Ben Keith, and guys like that.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

What a great band! I saw 'em in Frankfurt, Germany in 1976---Asleep at the Wheel, with Lucky Oceans and Leroy Preston, opened the show. Albert Lee was the first person I ever saw who made me want to buy a Telecaster.
And I'm still in love with Emmylou.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Yes, Larry, he played pedal steel (and guitar) on the Ricky Skaggs album, Don't Cheat In Our Hometown. He shares equal duties with Bruce Bouton.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I saw Emmylou Harris and Her Hot Band open for Joe Walsh in Los Angeles back in the 1970s. When introducing the band, she got to James Burton and called him the finest guitar player in the world. Many Joe Walsh fans booed at that remark.
Suddenly Joe Walsh appeared from the side of the stage. He strode up to the mic and said, "Believe her. He IS the finest guitar player in the world!" He got a big round of applause for that.
Great show, too.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mac Martine

Post by Mac Martine »

Emmylou? Will you marry me? I'll even play steel in your band free of charge.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Great clip - thanks. Hank has great tone and feel for this music. And what can any of us say about Emmylou that hasn't already been said?
Larry Jones

Post by Larry Jones »

hey billy whats up ? give me a call . any way i worked with hank devito in the late 70,s with david nictern and the nocterns he wrote midnight at the oasis . we had a great band , that was the first time i ever saw a pedel steel and thats where my love affair with the steel began. he would be surprised if he knew i played steel now. i havent seen him in years he lives on the east coast . alot ao people don,t know this but he was married to nicolet larson the singer thats where we all met i was the bass player sadly she died at a young age. i still have some great rehersal tapes of that band and some great stories. ive all ways wondered why he nevered chimed in to the forum he has a lot of fans., i mean even buddy emmoms has graced us from time to time .hanks his hero was rusty young . any way thats all for now
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Super fine!!
And great music too! Image
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Hank DeVitto had also been in Rodney Crowell's band and Steve Fishell, who is a steel player and producer, worked for Emmylou and Terry McBride & The Ride. If you see the video of Rodney's song "I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried", Hank DeVitto is playing a singleneck Emmons. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I was trying to listen to the steel, but I could not get past just staring at Emmy Lou!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

There is a lot of feeling in her voice. The shot of the steelers hands over the shot of her is really cool.

------------------
Howard
johnopsg

Post by johnopsg »

Thanks for fielding the video-clip...like everyone here, it brings back wonderful memories. I attended every EmmyLou concert in Calif during those years, and unknown to them, Hank D, and Steve Fishell were my mentors...I still attempt to play the solo on "Together Again" like Mr. DiVito did it with EmmyLou. Hank plays some nice licks with Rodney Crowell,Vince Gil and others on the CheryBombs CD from early last year.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I would like to create an award for Jim
in appreciation for posting that fantastic clip from youtube.

I'll try to arrange a date with Emmy for you.
of course I'd have to be the chaperone.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Great clip but don't Ol' Hank D. look a little like Earl Hickey?