Corky Owens Great/Steeler Great/Person

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Edwards

Corky Owens Great/Steeler Great/Person

Post by Mark Edwards »

Some of ya'll already know Corky Owens is one of the best steel players around. He's been with Gene Watson's Fairwell Party Band for 10 plus years, and plays several local venues as well. Corky doesn't say much, but when he plays his Rains, he let's his steel do the talking. What a lot of people don't know is Corky is one of the nicest, most humble individuals I have ever come across in the music business.

Here's a guy that stays on the road, builds steels 10-12 hours a day for a second income, and plays localy whenever asked. I've never heard him complain or say a bad word about anyone. Corky is very approchable to anyone, and his love of the steel guitar is evident when you hear him give advice about this or that question regarding the steel.

Yet Corky still makes time to give a rookie like me lessons and advice on playing the steel. He puts up with some really stupid questions, and hearing me hack away at attempting to play the steel, and I have never seen his patients waiver. Corky will show me a lick or intro, and watch me severely mutilate it, however, he will show me again as many times as it takes to get it right.

Here is a guy that doesn't have to give me the time of day, but does because he wants to see me succeed, and not just me but everyone he comes in contact with. His own success is evident of what he has accomplished in his own life. Corky your a fine human being, and a great friend, you lead by example and you give tirelessly to others. If the music business or better yet the world had more people like Corky Owens, the world would be a better place.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Mark, I'll second all you said about Corky.
I haven't known Corky all that long but he's the same person each time I see him, always willing to help if he can.
Corky if you read this, thanks again for the picks buddy.

------------------
Fred Justice,
Fred's Music www.fredjusticemusic.com
Rains Steel Guitars

Jake L

Post by Jake L »

I met Corky while he was with Perfect Stranger. We were their opening act on several occasions. It was a pleasure watching and hearing him play. Super nice guy and a great player. I miss those guys...
Jake Lowe
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

My band opened for Gene Watson a while back and I got the opportunity to meet Corky. I entirely agree with all that has been said and more.

------------------
Chuck
Country Fever Band

Rodney Garrison

Post by Rodney Garrison »

I heard Corky for the first time this year at the Texas Steel Guitar Association Show.
He had a great tone and style. I spoke to him for just a moment and I'll have to agree with all the others. We all should be looking for more from him and those Rains guitars. Thanks Corky.
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Corky is one of my dearest friends! We had many great steel jamming times in my music room as he lived only about 15 minutes from me until I relocated to Birmingham, AL about 8 months ago. He is the most sincere and down to earth person I know. He is also one of my favorite steel players with great tone...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 17 April 2006 at 08:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

When Gene Watson's show came through town, I snuck up onstage after the lights went down to meet Corky as he was tearing down.
I wanted to compliment him on some of those beautiful licks he got that night.
He was kind enough to talk and show me his guitar while he worked, even though he didn't know me from green beans.
He's OK in my book too.
joe long

Post by joe long »

I have never met Corkey personally but I do know that at the Dallas show he was asked to fill a prime time slot at the very last minute because of a cancelation.

This is a guy who plays mostly fills and intro's yet he went on stage and played a great set. He played a lot of my favorite songs and I only dream that I could play them like him. I'm talking about a person who had maybe 45-60 minutes notice before going on stage. To be able to come up with a list of songs and without arrangements in that short of time is like chewing bubble gum and tap dancing at the same time.

Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Bump please
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

Corky called today and asked if I would express his very sincere 'thanks' to everyone for their kind remarks...as usual, Corky was very humbled that anyone would take the time to post about him. His computer is acting up and someone told him about the comments.

Corky enjoys meeting everyone on the road as he travels with the great Gene Watson and encourages anyone coming to the show to come up and visit. In today's complex world, it sure is refeshing to have loyal friends like Corky Owens!
Wade Branch

Post by Wade Branch »

Mark,I tried to e-mail you ,but it came back as undeliverable.E-mail me I need to hollar at you.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I met Corky briefly at a show with Gene Watson, and again in the Rains room in Dallas. He is a quiet unassuming person, very friendly, the kind of person you'd like to have as a neighbor, and his playing and tone is wonderful.

------------------
Howard
Robert L. Clark

Post by Robert L. Clark »

We had Corky and Gene here at our local auditorium a while back for two great shows. I had the great opportunity of spending time with Corky. He is one of the greatest and most humble people I have ever met.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Just want to let you all know that Corky along with Gene Watson and the Farewell Party Band will be here in Texarkana at the Oaklawn Opry on May 19th at 7:30 Pm. Admission is $16.50. We are located in The Oaklawn Village shopping center here in Texarkana, Texas and I have plenty Tickets left to sell.