The Possum and Paycheck on YouTube...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

scott c anderson

The Possum and Paycheck on YouTube...

Post by scott c anderson »

I stumbled across this a couple days ago on You Tube...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8pY-ptbzSs

(isn't this the coolest thing??) I was absolutely fascinated to see these guys in George's band. Okay...walk me through this now guys.....cuz I am kinda new to this name dropping...... Here is what I come up with so far.

George singing lead and 6 string
Johnny Paycheck on bass, singing harmony
Kelso Herston on THAT Rickenbacker (OMG!!)
Charley Justice on the fiddle
Bobbe Seymour on the steel (??)
unknown on drums....

Too bad the sound and the video are out od synch so bad...dunno what is up with that...but what a cool video.....a virtual "Who's Who" of the day..... Paycheck looked so clean cut......just amazing.....must have been just before he and Lloyd and Aubrey Mayhew got to work to lay some legendary "Little Darlin" tracks down.

I'll bet I have watched this video now at least twenty times....

Correct me if I am wrong on some of the players.....not sure about the steeler, but it kinda looks a bit like Bobbe in his much less "follicly challenged days" LOLOL !!! (as if I should talk!!) Oh, he'll send me a private e now....
BTW, Bobbe, I have some old Shelby Parts you might be interested in.....

Take care guys...

Scott Anderson

Eli Hall

Post by Eli Hall »

Thanks. That was cool!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Sonny Curtis on steel, playing Emmons #3 now in the possession of Mike Cass.

Sonny, come in here and comment, if you please.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Glen Davis on drums...

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Junior King

Post by Junior King »

There was a video on YouTube of Waylon doing "Anita You Are Dreaming". Best I ever herd him sound. was in the 60's. They took it off. Wish I could find it again or kknew where to but it. Junior
Junior King

Post by Junior King »

heard not herd
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

It might be a day or two before Sonny notices this thread, his wife, Barbara, is having by-pass surgery this morning.Let's all remember her with good thoughts and prayers today.

As for the clip, what a great piece of history. This you tube is really cool.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Hartley on 03 April 2006 at 05:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
scott c anderson

Well guys,
I have recieved an e mail from Kelso Herston today informing me that it was indeed NOT him playing the lead guitar on that clip on YouTube, with George Jones and Johnny Paycheck. He was quite amazed just how much this guy had "HIS" style and sound down pat. I was convinced from the first few notes....(but it shows what I KNOW)

So, now to ask you very well informed gentlemen out here on the SGF.....Just WHO was that guy playing that way too cool Ricky on "Love Bug"????? Just LOVE those Buddy Holly glasses.....

And I gotta apologize for not recognizing Sonny Curtis on the steel....I met Sonny one time at the Michigan Steel Guitar HOF show in Grand Rapids a few years ago, and he had a full head of white hair....guess maybe THAT threw me off a bit.....it did kinda look a tiny bit like Bobbe in that clip though......

Anyways, my thoughts and prayers are with Sonny Curtis and his wife today.

Scott
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

What amazed me (besides George and Johnnies singing)was just how tight the band was. With just a stick and a brush on snare for drums, the band was tight but not uptight and you can tell that they're all listeners.

When I think of all the times I tried to explain this rhythm concept to rock players who are on a country gig because they need the money. The bass player wants to walk on everything because he's afraid people would think he can't play and the drummer drags on anything with two-to-the-bar bass.

For years I had a dream to play with a rhythm section like the Jones boys. The closest I ever got was a band called "Loose Change" with Al Brisco on steel, Jason Warren drums, and Keith McKay on Lead. I was on bass.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andy Greatrix on 04 April 2006 at 12:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Sonny Curtis

Post by Sonny Curtis »

I have been asked to respond to this thread
This video made in 1965 or 66. The MC was Smilin' Eddie Hill. The players are as follows:

Steel Guitar - Sonny Curtis
Fiddle - Charlie Justice
Bass Guitar - Johnny Paycheck
Drums - Glen Davis
George Jones Singing Lead Of Course
Lead Guitar - Jerry Starr

And for those of you who have prayed for us these last few days, Thank you so much. Barbara is home and doing well.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 10 April 2006 at 01:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

About Jerry Starr
Jerry Starr has been making acoustic instruments since 1978 but has recently retired. He has made a variety of instruments including classical and flamenco guitars, mandolins, requintos, vihuelas, guitarrones, violins, harps, octavinas and bandurias. He was an engineer by profession and applied this knowledge to instrument making and design of tools he used as a professional luthier. He has made approximately 440 instruments since 1978.

During the 1960s he was also a professional musician and toured with various artists including Wanda Jackson and George Jones as lead guitar player.
http://www.starrsantiagoviolins.com/pages/429743/page429743.html?refresh=1136523373544

There is a recent picture of Jerry Starr at the address above.
scott c anderson

Thanks for your reply Sonny.....Yeah, we had heard about your wife, and we were praying everything turned out well, and it sounds like it did. That's great news.

I have spoken to the guy who posted the video on YouTube, and he claims it was from a movie called "Forty Acres of Country" or something like that...and that there was several other music clips from the movie. Is this ringing a bell with you??

Very cool seeing Paycheck singing harmony behind George. They had perfect harmony, very reminiscent of Conway Twitty and Joe E. Lewis, Buck Owens and Don Rich and others.

Sorry i didn't recognize you there.....it looked a tad like Seymour in those days.....

Tell me about this Jerry Starr....where DID he get THOSE glasses!!!!! LOL !!! Soooooo Buddy Holly!!! But could he PLAY !!! He had me convinced beyond a doubt, at first viewing that it was Kelso Herston, because I knew Kelso did alot of the George Jones guitar material from that period. Jerry even had Kelso's style down pat. It was merely hours before I recieved an e mail from Kelso directly, stating that in fact, it was NOT him, and he did not know who he was, but even he admitted that this guy sounded alot like him back in the day. But Kelso said he played a Danelectro 6 string bass to get those heavy reverb low notes. Jerry Starr apparently was playing a Rickenbacker 6 string Lead.

What ever happened to Jerry?? Must admit it is a name I have never heard before. Still around?? Who else did he play for?? Just curious.

Well, Thanks for your reply Sonny...maybe I will see you again in New Philadelphia....I am still deciding if it'll be do-able for me to make it....quite a haul from Detroit!!

You take care, and best to Barbara...

Scott Anderson
scott c anderson

Thanks Marlin.....Gee you are quick...We were prolly typing at the same time there....Neat to know Jerry Starr is still around.....Thanks a million!!!

Isn't the SGF great!!

Scott A.
Don Discher

Post by Don Discher »

Hey Andy, you mentioned Keith Mckay, he just moved back to the Soo and i'm hoping to get together with him soon and do some jamming.He's a great player,I listened to him a lot when I was a kid and before he moved to Toronto.I'll mention you to him when I see him.